Dr TO, Christopher
BEng(Hons), LLB(Hons), LLM, MA, PhD, DEng, PCLL
DipCD, FCIArb, FHKIArb, FSIArb, FIET, FHKIoD
RPE, CEng, CITP, FHKIE, MBCS, HKCS, ARAeS
Barrister-at-Law, Gilt Chambers
LLMArbDR Programme Director
Dr. Christopher To is an independent mediator, adjudicator and arbitrator who
is on the panels of various leading global alternative dispute resolution bodies. He has arbitrated
more than hundred international cases involving both ad-hoc and institutional arbitrations; and
has mediated and adjudicated many international and domestic cases. He is an accredited mediator, accredited adjudicator, chartered
arbitrator, chartered engineer, chartered information technology professional and a law professor.
As former Secretary-General of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, Dr. To managed to
elevate Hong Kong’s status as the regional dispute resolution hub of Asia by increasing the number
of international dispute cases being referred to Hong Kong for amiable resolution as well as
creating the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre, a body that has gain international
prominence within the dot.com community as a reliable, trustworthy, independent and reputable
entity that manages domain name disputes. In recognition of his outstanding leadership and his
contribution to the community, in 2001 he was honored as the youngest Director of the Year in
Hong Kong and in 2007 he was honored as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum.
- Chief Editor of the Zero Carbon Zero Carbon Building Journal, ISSN 2311-7400.
- Editorial Member of Innovation in Construction, ISSN 2312-8305.
- Editorial Advisory Board Member of Built Environment Project and Asset Management, Emerald
Group Publishing Limited, ISSN 2044-124X.
- Editorial Board Member of the Asian Dispute Review.
- Developments of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, Mealey’s International Arbitration
Report December 2000, ISSN 1089-2397.
- Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre, Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, September 2002, ISSN 1089-2397.
- Focus on Hong Kong and its International Arbitration Centre, The Institute for Transnational Arbitration, Volume 16, Number 4, autumn 2002.
- Arbitration in Hong Kong- A Practical Guide First Edition, Thomson Sweet and Maxwell Asia 2003, ISBN 962-661-220-7.
- Arbitration in China- A Practical Guide First Edition, Thomson Sweet and Maxwell Asia 2004, ISBN
962- 661- 246-0.
- Confidentiality in Arbitrations, The Lawyers Review, Metro Manila, Philippines, August 2004.
- Book Review- The Art of Advocacy in International Arbitration, Juris Publishing 2004, ISBN
- ADR in Asia- Solutions for Business Asia Law and Practice 2005, ISBN 962-936-153-1.
- International Arbitration in Asia, ICC International Court of Arbitration and Singapore International
Arbitration Centre 2005, ISBN 981-05-3838-3.
- Arbitration in Asia, Second Edition, Juris Publishing 2008, ISBN 978-1-933833-20-0.
- Legal Discourse across Cultures and Systems, Confidentiality in Arbitration, Hong Kong University
Press, 2008, ISBN 978-962-209-851-0.
- Arbitration in Hong Kong - A Practical Guide Second Edition, Thomson Sweet and Maxwell Asia 2011,
- Arbitration Law Hand Book, Butterworths Hong Kong 2012, ISBN 978-988-8146-38-3.
- The Annotated Ordinance of Hong Kong Chapter 609 Arbitration Ordinance, Butterworths Hong Kong
2012, ISBN 978-988-8146-45-1.
- Do arbitrators Really Have a High Degree of Discretion in the Management of the Arbitration
Proceedings, Korean Arbitration Review, Second Edition, January 2013.
- Impact of Civil Justice Reform on Alternative Dispute Resolution: A Hong Kong Perspective, Civil
Litigation in China and Europe- Essays on the Role of the Judge and the Parties, Springer, 2014, ISBN
- Mediation in Hong Kong: Law & Practice, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business 2014, ISBN
- Construction Arbitration in Hong Kong: A Practical Guide Wolters Kluwer Law & Business March
2015, ISBN 978-988-13429-2-8.
- Unveiling the Embodied Carbon of Construction Materials through a Product-based Carbon Labeling Scheme, the International Journal of Climate Change: Impact and Responses, Volume 7, Issue 3, September 2015, pp.1-9. Article: Print (Spiral Bound). Published Online: August 4, 2015 (co-authored
with Professor Thomas S. Ng and Dr. Guiyi Li) http://ijc.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.185/prod.268
assessed on 15 April 2016.
- Apology Legislation and its Implications for International Dispute Resolution, International Bar
Association October 2015 (co-authored with Robyn Carroll and Marc Unger)
assessed on 15 April 2016.
- A bright future for Hong Kong’s Construction Industry, Civil Engineering, Institution of Civil
Engineers, 16 February 2016, ISSN 0965-089X and E-ISSN 1751-7672,
http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/jcien.15.00058 accessed on 15 April 2016.
- Hong Kong Arbitration: Law and Practice Wolters Kluwer Law & Business (anticipated completion in
- Singapore’ s new Mediation Act- raising the bar to new heights in the dispute resolution arena, 7 June
2017, CIArb News. http://www.ciarb.org/news/features/features-detail/features
- Past-Chairman of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (East Asia Branch)
- Vice- Chairman of the Hong Kong Institute of Directors
- Advisory Board Member of India International ADR Association
- Council Member of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Member of the Secretary of Justice Sub-Committee on Mediation Accreditation
- Chairman of the Accreditation Committee of Hong Kong Mediator Accreditation Co. Ltd.
Panels of Arbitrators and Mediators:
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) China International Economic & Trade Arbitration Commission.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Korean Commercial Arbitration Board.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration, Malaysia.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration.
- The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers List of Arbitrators and Mediators.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Wuhan International Arbitration Court.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) National Mongolian Arbitration Court.
- Panel Member (Adjudicator) Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration.
- Listed in the Royal Aeronautical Society Arbitrators and Mediators Panel.
- Listed in the Financial Dispute Resolution Centre (Hong Kong) list of Mediators and list of Arbitrators.
- Listed on Juris Panel of Arbitrators.
- Listed on Singapore International Mediation Centre Panel of Mediators.
- Listed as a Certified Mediator with the Singapore International Mediation Institute.
- Listed on the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited – Panel of Mediators (General).
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) THAC Thailand Arbitration Centre.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Beijing Arbitration Commission.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) of the Shanghai International Economic Trade Arbitration Commission
- Standing Panel Member of the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers Public Interest
Commitments Dispute Resolution Procedure since 2013 to now
- Member of the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers Nominating Committee from 2007 to
- Listed on the Panel of Mediators of the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade
(CCPIT)/China Chamber of International Commerce (CCOIC) Mediation Center.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) South China International Economic and Trade Arbitration
Commission/Shenzhen Court of international Arbitration.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) International Centre for Dispute Resolution of the American Arbitration