Dr TO, Christopher
BEng(Hons), LLB(Hons), LLM, MA, PhD, DEng (honoris causa), PCLL, C.Arb, FCIArb, FHKIArb, FSIArb, FIET, FHKIoD, RPE, CEng, CITP, FHKIE, MBCS, HKCS, ARAeS.
Barrister-at-Law, Gilt Chambers
LLMArbDR Programme Director
Dr. Christopher To is an independent mediator, adjudicator and arbitrator who is on the panels of various leading global alternative dispute resolution bodies. He has arbitrated a variety of domestic and international cases involving both ad-hoc and institutional arbitrations; mediated and adjudicated many international and domestic cases and has represented clients as Counsel in cases at the Magistrate, District, High Court, the Commission of Inquiry, disciplinary proceedings as well as in international arbitrations and mediations. He is an accredited mediator, accredited adjudicator, chartered arbitrator, chartered engineer, chartered information technology professional and a barrister-at-law.
As former Secretary-General of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, Dr. To managed to elevate Hong Kong’s status as the regional dispute resolution hub of Asia by increasing the number of international dispute cases being referred to Hong Kong for amiable resolution as well as creating the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre, a body that has gain international prominence within the dot.com community as a reliable, trustworthy, independent and reputable entity that manages domain name disputes. In recognition of his outstanding leadership and his contribution to the community in 2001 he was honored as the youngest Director of the Year in Hong Kong, in 2007 he was honored as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum, in 2014 was awarded Alumni of the Year and was conferred the honorary doctorate degree in Engineering from Glasgow Caledonian University as well as being named in 2019 by the Bali International Arbitration and Mediation Center as one of the top ten mediators in Asia Pacific.
- Chief Editor of the Zero Carbon Zero Carbon Building Journal, ISSN 2311-7400.
- Editorial Member of Innovation in Construction, ISSN 2312-8305.
- Editorial Advisory Board Member of Built Environment Project and Asset Management, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, ISSN 2044-124X.
- The Creator of the Asian Dispute Review Journal.
- Developments of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, Mealey’s International Arbitration Report December 2000, ISSN 1089-2397.
- Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre, Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, September 2002, ISSN 1089-2397.
- Focus on Hong Kong and its International Arbitration Centre, The Institute for Transnational Arbitration, Volume 16, Number 4, autumn 2002.
- Arbitration in Hong Kong- A Practical Guide First Edition, Thomson Sweet and Maxwell Asia 2003, ISBN 962-661-220-7.
- Arbitration in China- A Practical Guide First Edition, Thomson Sweet and Maxwell Asia 2004, ISBN 962- 661- 246-0.
- Confidentiality in Arbitrations, The Lawyers Review, Metro Manila, Philippines, August 2004.
- Book Review- The Art of Advocacy in International Arbitration, Juris Publishing 2004, ISBN 978-1-929446-42-1.
- ADR in Asia- Solutions for Business Asia Law and Practice 2005, ISBN 962-936-153-1.
- International Arbitration in Asia, ICC International Court of Arbitration and Singapore International Arbitration Centre 2005, ISBN 981-05-3838-3.
- Arbitration in Asia, Second Edition, Juris Publishing 2008, ISBN 978-1-933833-20-0.
- Legal Discourse across Cultures and Systems, Confidentiality in Arbitration, Hong Kong University Press, 2008, ISBN 978-962-209-851-0.
- Arbitration in Hong Kong - A Practical Guide Second Edition, Thomson Sweet and Maxwell Asia 2011, ISBN 962-661-220-7.
- Arbitration Law Hand Book, Butterworths Hong Kong 2012, ISBN 978-988-8146-38-3.
- The Annotated Ordinance of Hong Kong Chapter 609 Arbitration Ordinance, Butterworths Hong Kong 2012, ISBN 978-988-8146-45-1.
- Do arbitrators Really Have a High Degree of Discretion in the Management of the Arbitration Proceedings, Korean Arbitration Review, Second Edition, January 2013.
- Impact of Civil Justice Reform on Alternative Dispute Resolution: A Hong Kong Perspective, Civil Litigation in China and Europe- Essays on the Role of the Judge and the Parties, Springer, 2014, ISBN 978-94-007-7665-4.
- Mediation Handbook for Administrators, Department of Justice, 2014.
- Mediation in Hong Kong: Law & Practice, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business 2014, ISBN 978-988-12216-2-9.
- Construction Arbitration in Hong Kong: A Practical Guide Wolters Kluwer Law & Business March 2015, ISBN 978-988-13429-2-8.
- Unveiling the Embodied Carbon of Construction Materials through a Product-based Carbon Labeling Scheme, the International Journal of Climate Change: Impact and Responses, Volume 7, Issue 3, September 2015, pp.1-9. Article: Print (Spiral Bound). Published Online: August 4, 2015 (co-authored with Professor Thomas S. Ng and Dr. Guiyi Li) http://ijc.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.185/prod.268 assessed on 15 April 2016.
- Apology Legislation and its Implications for International Dispute Resolution, International Bar Association October 2015 (co-authored with Robyn Carroll and Marc Unger) http://www.ibanet.org/Article/Detail.aspx?ArticleUid=998e05e0-552b-4160-bb8f-857515c212f4 assessed on 15 April 2016.
- A bright future for Hong Kong’s Construction Industry, Civil Engineering, Institution of Civil Engineers, 16 February 2016, ISSN 0965-089X and E-ISSN 1751-7672, http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/jcien.15.00058 accessed on 15 April 2016.
- Singapore’ s new Mediation Act- raising the bar to new heights in the dispute resolution arena, 7 June 2017, CIArb News, http://www.ciarb.org/news/features/features-detail/features.
- Towards Zero Carbon in a Hot and Humid Subtropical Climate (co-authored with Justin Li and Margaret Kam) Elsever Ltd, 2017, http://www.sciencedirect.com.
- Adjudication – a Form of ‘Rough Justice’?' (2017) 19 Asian Dispute Review, Volume 19 (2017) Issue 4, pp. 184–189, http://www.kluwerlawonline.com/abstract.php?area=Journals&id=ADR2017035.
- Facilitate Versus Evaluative Mediation (2018) 20 Asian Dispute Review, Volume 20 (2018) Issue 2 pp.81-87.
- ADR in Hong Kong, Thomson Sweet and Maxwell 2018 (1 September 2018), ISBN 9789626618134.
- Butterworths Hong Kong Arbitration Law Handbook- Second Edition, LexisNexis, 21 May 2018, ISBN/ISSN 978-9888476-69-5.
- Annotated Ordinances of Hong Kong - Apology Legislation (Cap.631), LexisNexis, March 2019.
- Will the Introduction of the Singapore Mediation Convention Put an End to International Arbitration? (2019) Asian Dispute Review, October 2019 Issue pp.164 to 169.
- The United Nations Convention on International Settlement Agreements Resulting from Mediation - an end to other dispute resolution methods in the construction industry? Hong Kong Engineer, Volume 47, November 2019.
- Annotated Ordinances of Hong Kong - Mediation Ordinance (Cap.620), LexisNexis January 2020.
- Mediation in Hong Kong: Law and Practice, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business (anticipated completion in December 2020).
- Hong Kong Arbitration: Law and Practice, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business (anticipated completion in December 2021).
- Chairman of the Hong Kong Institute of Directors.
- Chairman of the Accreditation Committee of Hong Kong Mediator Accreditation Association Ltd.
- Council Member of the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre.
- Council Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (United Kingdom).
- Deputy-Chairman of the Construction Dispute Resolution Committee of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers.
- Deputy-Chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce (Hong Kong) Mediation Steering Committee.
- Advisory Board Member of India International ADR Association.
- Alternate Director of the Joint Mediation Helpline Office.
- Past Chairman of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (East Asia Branch).
- Past Secretary-General and Council Member of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre.
- Past Chairman of the Hong Kong Mediation Council, a division of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre.
- Past Secretary-General of the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre.
- Past Chairman of the Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Limited.
- Past Chairman of the Hong Kong Domain Name Registration Company Limited.
- Past- Member of the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers Nominating Committee (2007 to 2008).
- Past Founding Executive Director of the Construction Industry Council.
Panels of Arbitrators and Mediators:
- Panel Member (Arbitrator, Adjudicator and Mediator) Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) China International Economic & Trade Arbitration Commission.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Korean Commercial Arbitration Board.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator and Adjudicator) Asian International Arbitration Centre, Malaysia.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Wuhan International Arbitration Court.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) National Mongolian Arbitration Court.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) THAC Thailand Arbitration Centre.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) Beijing Arbitration Commission.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) of the Shanghai International Economic Trade Arbitration Commission.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) South China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission/Shenzhen Court of international Arbitration.
- Panel Member (Arbitrator) International Centre for Dispute Resolution of the American Arbitration Association.
- Listed in the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers Panel of Arbitrators and List of Mediators.
- Listed in the Royal Aeronautical Society Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators.
- Listed in the Financial Dispute Resolution Centre (Hong Kong) List of Arbitrators and Mediators.
- Listed on the International Dispute Resolution and Risk Management Institute as an Arbitration Fellow.
- Listed on Juris Panel of Arbitrators.
- Listed on Singapore International Mediation Centre Panel of Mediators.
- Listed on the Singapore International Mediation Institute as a Certified Mediator.
- Listed on the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited Panel of Mediators (General).
- Listed on the Panel of Mediators of the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT)/China Chamber of International Commerce (CCOIC) Mediation Center.
- Listed on the CEPA Scheme (Mediator) under HKIAC, CIETAC and the Hong Kong Mediation Center.
- Listed on Panel of Mediators of the Japan International Mediation Center in Kyoto.
- Listed on the Panel of Mediators of the Construction Industry Council (United Kingdom).
- Listed on the Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators of the World Intellectual Property Organisation.
- Listed on the Panel of Adjudicators and Disputes Boards of the UK Adjudicators www.ukadjudicators.co.uk.
- Fellow (Pioneer Member) of the Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Standing Panel Member of the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers Public Interest Commitments Dispute Resolution Procedure since 2013 to now.