Dr. Kwai Sang CHIN
MSc(HKU), PhD(HKU), AIAQ, FASQ, FHKSQ, SrMIIE, MIMfgE, MHKIE, CEng, RPE
Associate Head and Associate Professor
- Quality and Engineering Management
- Decision Analytics and Management Intelligence
||The University of Hong Kong
||The University of Hong Kong
- Founding Programme Leader of BEng Systems Engineering and Management
- Founding Programme Leader of BEng Total Quality Engineering
- Former Programme Leader of MSc Engineering Management
- Founding Programme Leader of BEng Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management
- Founding Deputy Programme Leader of BEng e-Logistics and Technology Management
- ChuTian Chair Professor (Hubei Province Government), Wuhan University of Technology), PRC
- Visiting Professor, Fuzhou University, PRC
- ESPRC Visiting Research Fellow, Manchester School of Management, UK
- Visiting Research Fellow, Fudan University, Shanghai, PRC
- Visiting Research Fellow, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, PRC
- Product Development Manager, SONCA Products Ltd (a subsidiary of Energizer Battery Co., USA)
- Numerous consultancy, training and industrial projects; including: DHL, Roche, Techtronics, China Light & Power, Dupont Chemical, Philips Consumer Electronics, Chinese Manufacturers' Association, Federation of HK Industries, Q Mark Council, HKSAR Trade and Industry Department, Hong Kong Housing Society, Philips Semiconductors Philippines Inc., etc.
AWARDS and HONORS
- Academician, International Academy for Quality
- Fellow, American Society for Quality
- Fellow, Hong Kong Society for Quality
- Fellow, Hong Kong Quality Management Association
- International Council Member, American Society for Quality
- Country Representative of Hong Kong, American Society for Quality
- Founding member and Broad Representative of Hong Kong, Asian Network for Quality
- Former Chairman, Hong Kong Society for Quality
- Former Vice Chairman, Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Division, Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
RECENT RESEARCH PROJECTS (PI)
- Supervised more than 20 PhD/EngD graduate students
- "Evaluation models of railway emergency plan considering the prioritization and synergy of action alternatives" (on-going)
- "Development of Personalized Individual Semantics based on Context-free Grammar Judgments for Quality Function Deployment in Railway Operations" (on-going)
- "Development of an Advanced Decision Making Approach for Modelling Hybrid Probabilistic Uncertainties in Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis” (on-going)
- "Delivering 21st Century Healthcare in Hong Kong: Building a Quality- and Efficiency- Driven System" (ongoing TBRS, Co-PI)
- "Safety, Reliability and Disruption Management of High Speed Rail and Metro Systems" (on-going TBRS, Co-I)
- "Development of novel multi-criteria risk assessment system for railway operations systems" (Completed in 2020)
- "Mass-data Study on Arrival Patterns and Novel Arrival Forecasting Model of Out-patient Department" (Completed in 2019)
- "Effective Market Structure and Strategies and Integrated Management of Remanufacturing System" (Completed in 2017)
- "Development of an integrated evidential reasoning approach using both belief and disbelief structures with validation in multi-criteria assessment of organizational innovation management" (Completed in 2016)
- "Studying the Group Decision Making Process and Critical Decision Factors in Green Product Development" (Completed in 2015)
- "Development of an Effective Approach to Model the Non-Linear Causal Relationship Between Key Control Factors and Patient Arrival at an Emergency Department of Hospital" (Completed in 2014)
PUBLICATIONS AND EDITORIAL
- Published over 250 journal papers and refereed conference papers, authored 8 books/book chapters, edited 4 books, and gave numerous invited talks and presentations
- Area Editor (Quality and reliability), Industrial Engineering & Management Systems
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Xiao L, Wang X J and Chin K S, “Trade-in strategies in retail channel and dual-channel closed-loop supply chain with remanufacturing”, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Vol.136, April 2020, Article no. 101898.
- Li Y L, Yang Q and Chin K S, “A decision support model for risk management of hazardous materials road transportation based on quality function deployment”, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Vol.74, September 2019, pp.154-173.
- Bai X, Chin K S and Zhou Z, “A bi-objective model for location planning of electric vehicle charging stations with GPS trajectory data”, Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol.128, Feb 2019, pp.591-604.
- Chin K S, Yang Q, Chan C Y P, Tsui K L and Li Y L, “Identifying passengers’ needs in cabin interiors of high-speed rails in China using quality function deployment for improving passenger satisfaction”, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Vol.119, Jan 2019, pp.326-342.
- Chen Z S, Chin K S, Martinez L and Tsui K L, Customizing Semantics for Individuals with Attitudinal HFLTS Possibility Distributions, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.26, Issue 6, Dec 2018, pp.3452-3466.
- Jiang S, Chin K S, Qu G and Tsui K L, An integrated machine learning framework for hospital readmission prediction, Knowledge Based System, Vol.146, pp.73-90, Apr 2018.
- Jiang S, Chin K S and Tsui K L, A universal deep learning approach for modeling the flow of patients under different severities, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol.154, pp.191-203, Feb 2018.
- Jiang S C, Chin K S, Wang L, Qu G and Tsui K L, Modified Genetic Algorithm-based Feature Selection Combined with Pre-trained Deep Neural Network for Demand Forecasting in Outpatient Department, Expert Systems With Applications, Vol. 82, pp.216-230, Oct 2017.
- Chen, Z S, Chin K S, Mu N Y, Xiong S H, Chang J P and Yang Y, Generating HFLTS possibility distribution with an embedded assessing attitude, Information Sciences, Vol.394-395, pp. 141-166, July 2017.
- Lin M Y, Chin K S, Fu C and Tsui K L, An Effective Greedy Method for the Meals-On-Wheels Service Districting Problem, Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 106, pp.1-19, Apr 2017.
- Chen Z S, Chin K S, Li YL and Yang Y, On Generalized Extended Bonferroni Means for Decision Making, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.24, Issue 6, pp.1525-1543, Dec 2016.
- Lin M Y, Chin K S, Wang X J, and Tsui K L, The therapist assignment problem in home healthcare structures, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.62, pp.44-62, 2016.
- Chen Z S, Chin K S, Li Y L and Yang Y, Proportional hesitant fuzzy linguistic term set for multiple criteria group decision making, Information Sciences, 357:61-87, 2016.
- Chin K S and Fu C, Weighted cautious conjunctive rule for belief functions combination, Information Sciences, Vol.325, December 2015, pp.70–86.
- Lin M Y, Chin K S, Tsui, K L and Wong T C, Genetic based discrete particle swarm optimization for elderly day care centre timetabling, Computers & Operations Research, Vol.65, 2015, 125-138.
- Chin K S, Fu C and Y M Wang, A method of determining attribute weights in evidential reasoning approach based on incompatibility among attributes, Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol.87, 2015, pp.150-162.
- Chin K S and Fu C, "Integrated evidential reasoning approach in the presence of cardinal and ordinal preferences and its applications in software selection", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.41, pp.6718-6727, Nov 2014.
- Fu C and Chin K S, Robust evidential reasoning approach with unknown attribute weights, Knowledge-Based Systems, 59 (2014), pp.9-20.
- Xu M, Wong T C and Chin K S, Modeling daily patient arrivals at Emergency Department and quantifying the relative importance of contributing variables using artificial neural network, Decision Support Systems, 54(3), pp.1488-1498, 2013.
- Wang Y M and Chin K S, A linear goal programming approach to determining the relative importance weights of customer requirements in quality function deployment, Information Sciences, 181(24), pp.5523-5533, 2011.
- Wang, Y M, Chin K S and Jiang P, Weight determination in the cross-efficiency evaluation, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 61(3), 2011, pp. 497-502.
- Wang Y M and Chin K S, "A linear goal programming approach to determining the relative importance weights of customer requirements in quality function deployment", Information Sciences, 181(23), pp.5240-5248, 2011.
- Chen Yalin, Chin K S and Wang X J, "Internal Pricing Strategies Design and Simulation in Virtual Enterprise Formation", Expert Systems with Applications, 38(11), pp.13580-13587, 2011.
- Wang Y M and Chin K S, "The use of OWA operator weights for cross-efficiency aggregation", OMEGA, Vol.39, No.5, pp.493-503, Oct 2011.
- Liu T W and Chin K S, "Development of audit model for intellectual property management excellence", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.37, No.6, pp.4504-4518, 2010.
- Chin K S, Lo K C and Leung J P F, "Development of User-Satisfaction-Based Knowledge Management Performance Measurement System with Evidential Reasoning Approach", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.37, No.1, pp.366-382, 2010.
- Chin K S, Wang Y M, Poon K K and Yang J B, "Failure mode and effects analysis by data envelopment analysis", Decision Support Systems, Vol.48, pp.246-256, Dec 2009
- Chin K S, Tang D W, Yang J B and Wong Z S Y, "Assessing new product development project risk by Bayesian network with a systematic probability generation methodology", Expert Systems with Applications, Volume 36, Issue 6, pp.9879-9890, 2009.
- Chin K S, Wang Y M, Poon K K and Yang J B, "Failure mode and effects analysis using a group-based evidential reasoning approach", Computers and Operations Research, Vol.36, pp.1768-1779, 2009.
- Chin K S, Wang Y M, Yang J B and Poon K K, "An evidential reasoning approach for Quality Function Deployment under uncertainty", Expert System with Applications, Vol.36, No.3, 2009, pp.5684-5694.
- Chin K S, Yang J B, Guo M and Lam P K, "Evidential Reasoning-Interval Based Application in New Product Design Assessment", IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.56, No.1, 2009, pp.142-156.
- Chin K S, Xu D L, Yang J B and Lam J P K, "A group-based ER-AHP decision making methodology for new product development project screening under uncertainties", Expert Systems With Applications, Vol.35, No.4, 2008, 1909-1929.
Last modified on 14 May, 2020