Dr. CHIN, K.S.
MSc(HKU), PhD(HKU), FASQ, FHKSQ, FHKQMA, SrMIIE, SrMSME, MIMfgE, MHKIE, CEng, RPE
Associate Head and Associate Professor
- Quality Systems and Management
- New Product Design and Development
- Decision Support Systems
||The University of Hong Kong
||The University of Hong Kong
- Founding Programme Leader of BEng Systems Engineering and Management
- Founding Programme Leader of BEng Total Quality Engineering
- Former Programme Leader of MSc Engineering Management
- Founding Programme Leader of BEng Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management
- Founding Deputy Programme Leader of BEng e-Logistics and Technology Management
- ChuTian Chair Professor (Hubei Province Government), Wuhan University of Technology), PRC
- Visiting Professor, Fuzhou University, PRC
- ESPRC Visiting Research Fellow, Manchester School of Management, UK
- Visiting Research Fellow, Fudan University, Shanghai, PRC
- Visiting Research Fellow, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, PRC
- Product Development Manager, SONCA Products Ltd (a subsidiary of Energizer Battery Co., USA)
- Numerous consultancy, training and industrial projects; including: DHL, Roche, Techtronics, China Light & Power, Dupont Chemical, Philips Consumer Electronics, Chinese Manufacturers' Association, Federation of HK Industries, Q Mark Council, HKSAR Trade and Industry Department, Hong Kong Housing Society, Philips Semiconductors Philippines Inc., etc.
AWARDS and HONORS
- Academician, International Academy for Quality
- Fellow, American Society for Quality
- Fellow, Hong Kong Society for Quality
- Fellow, Hong Kong Quality Management Association
- International Council Member, American Society for Quality
- Country Representative of Hong Kong, American Society for Quality
- Founding member and Broad Representative of Hong Kong, Asian Network for Quality
- Former Chairman, Hong Kong Society for Quality
- Former Vice Chairman, Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Division, Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
RESEARCH PROJECTS AND RESEARCH STUDENTS SUPERVISED
- Acquired total research funding as Principal Investigator: HK$10,980,478 in 26 projects
- Supervised 14 PhD/EngD graduate students
- "Development of an Advanced Decision Making Approach for Modelling Hybrid Probabilistic Uncertainties in Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis" (on-going)
- "Effective Market Structure and Strategies and Integrated Management of Remanufacturing System" (on-going)
- "Studying the Group Decision Making Process and Critical Decision Factors in Green Product Development" (Completed in 2015)
- "Development of an integrated evidential reasoning approach using both belief and disbelief structures with validation in multi-criteria assessment of organizational innovation management" (Completed I 2014)
- "Development of an Effective Approach to Model the Non-Linear Causal Relationship Between Key Control Factors and Patient Arrival at an Emergency Department of Hospital" (completed in 2013)
- "Development of an Information Security Risk Assessment Model" (Completed in 2012)
- "Optimizing Technical Target Setting in QFD: A Belief Rule-based Methodology" (Completed in 2011)
- "Quality Function Deployment under Multiple Preference Formats with Various Uncertainties" (completed in 2010)
- "Development of a Novel Methodology for Assessing Entrepreneurship Project Risks" (completed in 2010)
PUBLICATIONS AND EDITORIAL
- Published over 200 journal papers and refereed conference papers, authored 8 books/book chapters, edited 4 books, and gave numerous invited talks and presentations
- Associate Editor, Asian Journal on Quality
- Associate Editor, Advances in Decision Sciences
- Area Editor (Quality and reliability), Industrial Engineering & Management Systems
- Regional Editor (East Asia), International Journal of Computer-aided Engineering and Technology
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Quality, Statistics and Reliability
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Lin M Y, Chin K S, Wang X J, and Tsui K L, “The therapist assignment problem in home healthcare structures”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.62, pp.44-62, 2016.
- Chen Z S, Chin K S, Li Y L and Yang Y, Proportional hesitant fuzzy linguistic term set for multiple criteria group decision making, Information Sciences, 357:61-87, 2016.
- Chen Z S, Chin K S and Li Y L, A Framework for Triangular Fuzzy Random Multiple-Criteria Decision Making, International Journal of Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 18(2), pp.227-247, 2016.
- Chin K S and Fu C, "Weighted cautious conjunctive rule for belief functions combination, Information Sciences", Vol.325, December 2015, pp.70–86.
- Lin M Y, Chin K S, Tsui, K L and Wong T C, "Genetic based discrete particle swarm optimization for elderly day care centre timetabling", Computers & Operations Research, Vol.65, 2015, 125-138.
- Chin K S, Fu C and Y M Wang, "A method of determining attribute weights in evidential reasoning approach based on incompatibility among attributes", Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol.87, 2015, pp.150-162.
- Tang Dawei, Wong T C, Chin K S and Kwong C K, "Evaluation of user satisfaction using evidential reasoning based methodology", Neurocomputing, Vol.142, pp.86-94, 2014.
- Wong T C, Xu M and Chin K S, "A two-stage heuristic approach for nurse scheduling problem: a case study in an emergency department", Computers & Operations Research, Vol.51, pp.99-110, Nov 2014.
- Chin K S and Fu C, "Integrated evidential reasoning approach in the presence of cardinal and ordinal preferences and its applications in software selection", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.41, pp.6718-6727, Nov 2014.
- Fu C and Chin K S, "Robust evidential reasoning approach with unknown attribute weights", Knowledge-Based Systems, 59 (2014), pp.9-20.
- Xu M, Wong T C and Chin K S, "A medical procedure-based patient grouping method for an emergency department", Applied Soft Computing, Vol.14, Part A, pp.31-37, Jan 2014.
- Xu M, Wong T C, Wong S Y, Chin K S, Tsui K L and Hsia R Y, "Delays in Service for Non-Emergent Patients Due to Arrival of Emergent Patients in the Emergency Department: A Case Study in Hong Kong", Journal of Emergency Medicine 45(2), pp.271-280, 2013.
- Xu M, Wong T C and Chin K S, "Modeling daily patient arrivals at Emergency Department and quantifying the relative importance of contributing variables using artificial neural network", Decision Support Systems, 54(3), pp.1488-1498, 2013.
- Wang Y M, Chin K S and Wang S, "DEA models for minimizing weight disparity in cross-efficiency evaluation, Journal of the Operational Research Society", 63(8), pp.1079-1088, 2012.
- Li Y L, Tang, J F, Chin K S, Han, Y and Luo X G, "A rough set approach for estimating correlation measures in quality function deployment", Information Sciences, Vol.189, pp.126-142, 2012.
- Li Y L, Tang J F, Chin K S and Luo X G, "On integrating multiple type preferences into competitive analyses in product planning", International Journal of Production Economics, 139(1), pp.168-179, 2012.
- Wang Y M and Chin K S, "A linear goal programming approach to determining the relative importance weights of customer requirements in quality function deployment", Information Sciences, 181(24), pp.5523-5533, 2011.
- Wang, Y M, Chin K S and Jiang P, "Weight determination in the cross-efficiency evaluation, Computers and Industrial Engineering", 61(3), 2011, pp. 497-502.
- Wang Y M and Chin K S, "A linear goal programming approach to determining the relative importance weights of customer requirements in quality function deployment", Information Sciences, 181(23), pp.5240-5248, 2011.
- Chen Yalin, Chin K S and Wang X J, "Internal Pricing Strategies Design and Simulation in Virtual Enterprise Formation", Expert Systems with Applications, 38(11), pp.13580-13587, 2011.
- Wang Y M and Chin K S, "The use of OWA operator weights for cross-efficiency aggregation", OMEGA, Vol.39, No.5, pp.493-503, Oct 2011.
- Liu T W and Chin K S, "Development of audit model for intellectual property management excellence", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.37, No.6, pp.4504-4518, 2010.
- Chin K S, Lo K C and Leung J P F, "Development of User-Satisfaction-Based Knowledge Management Performance Measurement System with Evidential Reasoning Approach", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.37, No.1, pp.366-382, 2010.
- Chin K S, Wang Y M, Poon K K and Yang J B, "Failure mode and effects analysis by data envelopment analysis", Decision Support Systems, Vol.48, pp.246-256, Dec 2009.
- Chin K S, Tang D W, Yang J B and Wong Z S Y, "Assessing new product development project risk by Bayesian network with a systematic probability generation methodology", Expert Systems with Applications, Volume 36, Issue 6, pp.9879-9890, 2009.
- Chin K S, Wang Y M, Poon K K and Yang J B, "Failure mode and effects analysis using a group-based evidential reasoning approach", Computers and Operations Research, Vol.36, pp.1768-1779, 2009.
- Chin K S, Wang Y M, Yang J B and Poon K K, "An evidential reasoning approach for Quality Function Deployment under uncertainty", Expert System with Applications, Vol.36, No.3, 2009, pp.5684-5694.
- Chin K S, Yang J B, Guo M and Lam P K, "Evidential Reasoning-Interval Based Application in New Product Design Assessment", IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.56, No.1, 2009, pp.142-156.
- Chin K S, Xu D L, Yang J B and Lam J P K, "A group-based ER-AHP decision making methodology for new product development project screening under uncertainties", Expert Systems With Applications, Vol.35, No.4, 2008, 1909-1929.
- Chin K S, Chan B L, and Lam J P K, "Identifying and prioritizing critical success factors for coopetition strategy: A study of Hong Kong industry", Industrial Management and Data System, 108(3-4), 2008, pp.437-454.
Last modified on 23 November, 2016