Prof. LI, Han Xiong
PhD-EE(Auckland), ME-EE(TUDelft), BE-Aerospace(NUDT), IEEE Fellow
||University of Auckland, New Zealand, 1997
||Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands, 1991
||National University of Defence Technology, Hunan, China, 1982
- Professor (2008), Associate Professor (2002), Assistant Professor (2000), RAP(1997), Department of MEEM, City University of Hong Kong
- Senior Process Engineer, ASM Assembly Automation Ltd, Hong Kong, 1997
- Research Engineer, University of Auckland, New Zealand (1993-1997)
- Research Associate, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands (1991-1992)
- Project Manager, China International Trust & Investment Co (CITIC), Beijing, China, (19987-1988)
- Software Engineer, Peking Analysis Center (military service), China, (1982-1987)
Awards & Honor
- IEEE Fellow
- Distinguished Expert by China Federation of Returned Overseas (中國僑聯特聘專家)（2011- ）
- Distinguished Expert by Hunan Government, China (湖南省特聘專家)（2010- ）
- Awarded Cheung Kong Scholar by Ministry of Education, China (2006-2009)
- Awarded China National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars (overseas) in 2004
- 2nd prize of Natural Science Award from Ministry of Education, China (2008)
- 2nd prize of Science & Tech Development Award from Hunan Government, China (2007)
- Best Dissertation Award (2011)
Lu XinJiang (陸新江) “Model-based robust design and its integration with control (基於模型的魯棒設計及其控制的集成研究)” - Hiwin Doctoral Dissertation Award 『首屆上銀優秀機械博士論文優秀獎』
Professional Member and Service
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man & Cybernetics - part B, (2002 - )
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics (2009- )
- Editorial board, Control Engineering (2004 - )
- Editorial board, Frontiers of Mechanical Engineering in China (2008 - )
Research Experience and Accomplishment
International journal papers: >120 (more than 70% ranks top 30% in the discipline), h-index:23
Three-Domain Fuzzy Logic Control System (3D-FLC)
- A spatial domain is added into the traditional FLC to formulate a 3D fuzzy platform for the spatial-temporal process. With the newly designed 3D fuzzy membership functions and 3D inference engine, this spatial-temporal FLC has the inherent capability to handle the spatial distribution with the help of only a few more sensors.
- A probabilistic domain is added into the traditional FLC to formulate a 3D fuzzy platform for the stochastic process. After embedding the probabilistic processing into the Mamdani fuzzy inference, this probabilistic fuzzy logic system can model both uncertainty and stochastic variations.
Intelligent Modeling and Control of Distributed Parameter Systems (DPS)
- Development of various modeling methods, including novel 3D kernels (Volterra, Hammerstein, and Wiener) based approach, and nonlinear time-space separation approach, for the nonlinear DPS. For engineering application, a spectral/neural modeling method is developed for estimating the temperature field using fewer sensors.
- It is the first time to design Takagi-Sugeno (T-S) fuzzy system for control of DPS and integrate the neural system for learning of the unknown nonlinearities under different unknown working conditions.
Process Design and Control
Development of integrated approaches for robust design for both static and dynamic system under various uncertainties with help of the perturbation theory, and control theory, which includes
- Variable sensitivity robust design for unknown process;
- Multi-objective optimization based robust design under model uncertainties;
- Stability-based robust design for dynamic system under model uncertainty;
- Intelligent integration of design and control for complex process
Design and Control for IC Packaging Process
- Development of a high-precision epoxy dispensing system that is able to compensate the fluid variation in the operation. The work involves the proper integration of the Non-Newtonian fluid modeling and approximation, sensing, run-by-run control.
- Snap cure oven design and control aims to have a required temperature field under the strong uncertainties. A simple but effective model needs to predict the temperature field in the spatial domain with fewer sensors, upon which the robust design and optimal control can be developed.
Fuzzy-PID Design & Tuning
- Designed a two-input fuzzy-PID controller for process control and developed various gain tuning methods the controller.
- Improved the graphical technique for the quantitative model derivation, disclosed and proved the sliding-mode feature of the fuzzy-PID.
- Li, H.X. & Qi CK (2011), Spatio-Temporal Modeling of Nonlinear Distributed Parameter Systems, Springer, ISBN: 978-94-007-0740-5; http://www.springer.com/mathematics/book/978-94-007-0740-5
Selected Journal Papers since 2005
3-Domain Fuzzy Logic System
- XX Zhang, Li HX & Qi CK (2010), "Spatially Constrained Fuzzy Clustering Based Sensor Placement for Spatio-temporal Fuzzy Control System", IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, 18(5), 946-957.
- Li HX & Z. Liu (2008) "A Probabilistic Neural-Fuzzy Learning System for Stochastic Modelling", IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, 16(4), 898-907, (full paper).
- XX Zhang, Li HX & Li SY (2008), "Analytical Study and Stability Design of Three-Dimensional Fuzzy Logic Controller for Spatially Distributed Dynamic Systems", IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, 16(6), 1613-1625, (full paper).
- Li H.X., Zhang XX & Li SY (2007), "A Three-dimensional Fuzzy Control Methodology for a Class of Distributed Parameter System", IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, 15(3), 470-481.
- Liu, Z & Li H.X., (2005) "A probabilistic fuzzy logic system for modeling and control", IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy systems, 13(6), 848-859.
Intelligent Modeling and Control of Spatial-temporal Processes
- H Wu & Li HX (2011), "Robust adaptive neural observer design for a class of nonlinear parabolic PDE systems", Journal of Process Control, 21, 1172-1182.
- Li HX & Qi CK (2010) "Modeling of Distributed Parameter Systems for Applications - A Synthesized Review from Time-Space Separation", Journal of Process Control, 20(8), 891-901.
- H Wu & Li HX (2009), "Adaptive Neural Control Design for Nonlinear Distributed Parameter Systems With Persistent Bounded Disturbances" IEEE Trans. on Neural Network, 20(10), 1630-1644.
- Li HX, Qi CK & Yu YG (2009) "A Spatio-Temporal Volterra Modeling Approach for a Class of Distributed Industrial Processes", Journal of Process Control, 19,1126-1142.
- Qi CK & Li HX (2009), "Nonlinear Dimension Reduction based Neural Modeling for Distributed Parameter Processes", Chemical Engineering Science, 64(19), 4164-4170.
- Qi CK, Zhang HT & Li HX (2009), "A Multi-channel Spatio-Temporal Hammerstein Modelling Approach for Nonlinear Distributed Parameter Processes", Journal of Process Control, 19, 85-99.
- H Wu & Li HX (2008), "A Galerkin/Neural-Network Based Design of Guaranteed Cost Control for Nonlinear Distributed Parameter Systems", IEEE Trans. on Neural Network, 19(5), 795-807, (full paper).
- K Yuan, Li HX & J Cao (2008), "Robust stabilization of the distributed parameter system with time delay via fuzzy control", IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, 16(3), 567-584.
- H Wu & Li HX (2008), "H Fuzzy Observer-based Control for a Class of Nonlinear Distributed Parameter Systems with Control Constraints", IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, 16(2), 502-516.
- H Wu & Li HX (2007), "Finite-Dimensional Constrained Fuzzy Control for a Class of Nonlinear Distributed Process Systems", IEEE Trans. on Syst, Man & Cyber, part-B, 37(5), 1422-1430.
Process Design & Control
- Lu, X.J. & Li, H.X. (2011) "Robust Design for Dynamic Performance under Model Uncertainty", ASME Trans. Journal of Mechanical Design,133(2), p.021006
- Lu XJ, LI H.X. & Chen P (2010) "Variable sensitivity based deterministic robust design for nonlinear system", ASME Trans. Journal of Mechanical Design, 132(6), p.064502
- Lu XJ, LI HX & Yuan X (2010) "Intelligent Integration of Design and Control for One Kind of Curing Process Journal of Process Control", Journal of Process Control, 20(10), 1116-1125
- Lu, X.J. & Li, H.X. (2009) "Stability based Robust Eigenvalue Design for Tolerance", ASME Trans. Journal of Mechanical Design, 131(8), pp.081007.
- Lu, X.J. & Li, H.X. (2009) "Perturbation Theory based Robust Design for Model Uncertainty", ASME Trans. Journal of Mechanical Design, 131(11), pp.111006.
- Zhang HT & Li HX, (2008) "A General Control Horizon Extension Method for Nonlinear Model Predictive Control", Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 46(26), 9179-9189.
- Sun RL, Li H.X. & Xiong YL, (2006) "Performance Oriented Integrated Control of Production Scheduling", IEEE Trans. on Syst, Man & Cyber, part-C, 36(4), 554-562.
Intelligent Control and Learning
- Yang JL, Li HX & Hu Y (2011) "A Probabilistic SVM based Decision System for Pain Diagnosis", Expert Systems With Applications, vol. 38, 9346-9351.
- Deng H, Li HX & Wu YH (2008) "Feedback Linearization Based Neural Adaptive Control for Unknown Non-affine Nonlinear Discrete-Time Systems", IEEE Trans on Neural Network, 19(9), 1615-1625.
- Liu, Z & Li H.X. & Y Zhang, (2008) "Stochastic and incomplete data-based modeling with probabilistic wavelet system", IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man & Cybernetics-B, 28(2), 310-319.
- H Wu & Li HX (2007), "New Approach to Delay-Dependent Stability Analysis and Stabilization for Continuous-Time Fuzzy Systems With Time-Varying Delay", IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, 15(3),482-493.
- Sun FC, Li HX & Liu HP, (2007) "Neuro-fuzzy dynamic-inversion-based adaptive control for robotic manipulators - Discrete time case", IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, 54(3): 1342-1351, June.
- Li H.X. & H. Deng, (2006) "An Approximate Internal Model Based Neural Control for Unknown Nonlinear Discrete Processes", IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks, 17(3), 659-670.
- H. Deng & Li H.X., (2006) "On the new method for the control of discrete nonlinear dynamic systems using neural networks", IEEE Transactions on Neural Network, 17(2): 526-529 MAR 2006.
- Li H.X., Zhang L, et al. (2005) "An Improved Robust Fuzzy-PID Controller with Optimal Fuzzy Reasoning", IEEE Trans. on Syst, Man & Cyber, part-B, 35(6), 1283-1294.
- H. Deng & Li H.X., (2005) "A Novel Neural Approximate Inverse Control for Unknown Nonlinear Discrete Dynamical Systems" , IEEE Trans. on Syst, Man & Cyber, part-B, 35(1), 115-123.
Electronic Packaging Process
- Li HX, et al. (2007), "A Simple Model-Based Approach for Fluid Dispensing Analysis and Control", IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 12(4), 491-503.
- Han L, Gao RZ, Zhong J & Li HX, (2007) "Wire bonding dynamics monitoring by wavelet analysis", Sensors and Actuators A - physical 137 (1): 41-50 JUN.
- H. Deng, Li H.X. & G. Chen, (2005) "Spectral Approximation Based Intelligent Modelling for Distributed Thermal Process", IEEE Trans. on Control System Technology, 13(5), 686-700.
- Li H.X., H. Deng & J. Zhong (2004), "Model-based integration of control and supervision for one kind of curing process", IEEE Trans. on Electronics Packaging Manufacturing, 27(3), 177-186.