Dr. Masaru YARIME received B.Eng. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Tokyo, M.S. in Chemical Engineering from the California Institute of Technology, and Ph.D. in Economics and Policy Studies of Technological Change from Maastricht University in the Netherlands. Previously he worked as Senior Research Fellow at the National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP) of the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Then he has taken the position of Project Associate Professor of Science, Technology, and Innovation Governance (STIG) at the Graduate School of Public Policy (GraSPP) in the University of Tokyo in Japan, prior to joining the City University of Hong Kong as an associate professor in the School of Energy and Environment in January 2017. He also has appointments as Honorary Reader in the Department of Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy (STEaPP) of University College London in the United Kingdom and Visiting Scholar of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Research Institute. He was awarded Abe Fellow 2014 by the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) of the United States.
His research interests center around examining public policy, corporate strategy, and institutional design on science, technology, and innovation for energy, environment, and sustainability. For the past years he has been engaged in research, educational, and societal activities from interdisciplinary perspectives, with an aim to understand the complex interfaces among natural sciences, engineering and social sciences and the dynamic interactions between technology and institutions in creating sustainability innovation. He is particularly interested in exploring the structure, functions, and evolution of innovation systems involving various types of knowledge, actors, and institutions in society. He has been involved in numerous projects through cooperation and collaboration with key stakeholders in academia, industry, government, and civil society in industrialized as well as developing countries.
He has contributed to many sustainability initiatives at international organizations, such as the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Finance Initiative on Environmental Risk Integration in Sovereign Credit Analysis, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group III (Mitigation of Climate Change), and the Expert Group on Catalogue of Policy Support Tools and Methodologies in the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES). Currently he is serving on the editorial board of international journals, including Sustainability Science, Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, Journal of Corporate Citizenship, and Frontiers in Energy Research – Energy Systems and Policy.
- Public Policy, Corporate Strategy, and Institutional Design on Innovation for Energy, Environment, and Sustainability
- Economics and Policy Studies of Technological Change
- Science, Technology, and Innovation Policy and Governance
- University-Industry-Government Collaboration
- Structure, Functions, and Evolution of Innovation Systems
- Sustainability Science
Potential graduate students interested in studying science, technology, and innovation policy, management, and governance for energy, environment, and sustainability are welcomed to contact Dr. Masaru Yarime. Multiple PhD positions are available. Applicants will have to go through a centralized admission process through the City University of Hong Kong. The successful applicants will receive generous scholarships and have access to ample opportunities to attend international conferences and collaborate with researchers overseas. The next intake of graduate student will be for the academic year starting from September 2017.
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, especially applicants who will enhance the diversity of our staff.
Academic Journal Articles
- Trencher, Gregory Patrick, Vanesa Castán Broto, Tomoko Takagi, Zoe Sprigings, Yuko Nishida, and Masaru Yarime, "Innovative policy practices to advance building energy efficiency and retrofitting: Approaches, impacts and challenges in ten C40 cities," Environmental Science & Policy, forthcoming.
- Kharrazi, Ali, Masahiro Sato, Masaru Yarime, Hirofumi Nakayama, Yadong Yu, and Steven Kraines, "Examining the resilience of national energy systems: Measurements of diversity in production-based and consumption-based electricity in the globalization of trade networks," Energy Policy, 87, 455-464 (2015).
- Trencher, Gregory, Toru Terada, and Masaru Yarime, "Student participation in the co-creation of knowledge and social experiments for advancing sustainability: Experiences from the University of Tokyo," Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 16, 56-63 (2015).
- Kharrazi, Ali, Steven Kraines, Elena Rovenskaya, Ram Avtar, Shuichi Iwata, and Masaru Yarime, "Examining the Ecology of Commodity Trade Networks Using an Ecological Information-Based Approach: Toward Strategic Assessment of Resilience," Journal of Industrial Ecology, 19 (5), 805-813 (2015).
- Hill Clarvis, Margot, Erin Bohensky, and Masaru Yarime, "Can Resilience Thinking Inform Resilience Investments? Learning from Resilience Principles for Disaster Risk Reduction," Sustainability, 7 (7), 9048-9066 (2015).
- Huang, Wei, Shenghui Cui, Masaru Yarime, Seiji Hashimoto, and Shunsuke Managi, "Improving Urban Metabolism Study for Sustainable Urban Transformation," Environmental Technology and Innovation, 4, 62-72 (2015).
- Trencher, Gregory, Xuemei Bai, James Evans, Kes B McCormick, and Masaru Yarime, "University Partnerships for Co-designing and Co-producing Urban Sustainability," Global Environmental Change, 28, 153–165 (2014).
- Kharrazi, Ali, Steven Kraines, Lan Hoang, and Masaru Yarime, "Advancing quantification methods of sustainability: A critical examination of emergy, exergy, ecological footprint, and ecological information-based approaches," Ecological Indicators, 37, 81–89 (2014).
- Trencher, Gregory, Masaru Yarime, Kes McCormick, Christopher Doll, and Steven Kraines, "Beyond the third mission: Exploring the emerging university function of co-creation for sustainability," Science and Public Policy, 41 (2), 151-179 (2014).
- Mutisya, Emmanuel, and Masaru Yarime, "Moving towards urban sustainability in Kenya: a framework for integration of environmental, economic, social, and governance dimensions," Sustainability Science, 9 (2), 205-215 (2014).
- Hill Clarvis, Margot, Martin Halle, Ivo Mulder, and Masaru Yarime, "Towards a new framework to account for environmental risk in sovereign credit risk analysis," Journal of Sustainable Finance and Investment, 4 (2), 147-160 (2014).
- Kharrazi, Ali, Elena Rovenskaya, Brian D. Fath, Masaru Yarime, and Steven Kraines, "Quantifying the sustainability of economic resource networks: An ecological information-based approach," Ecological Economics, 90, 177-186 (2013).
- Kudo, Shogo, and Masaru Yarime, "Divergence of the sustaining and marginalizing communities in the process of rural aging: a case study of Yurihonjo-shi, Akita, Japan," Sustainability Science, 8 (4), 491-513 (2013).
- Trencher, Gregory, Masaru Yarime, and Ali Kharrazi, "Co-creating sustainability: cross-sector university collaborations for driving sustainable urban transformations," Journal of Cleaner Production, 50, 40-55 (2013).
- Yarime, Masaru, Gregory Trencher, Takashi Mino, Roland W. Scholz, Lennart Olsson, Barry Ness, Niki Frantzeskaki, and Jan Rotmans, "Establishing sustainability science in higher education institutions: towards an integration of academic development, institutionalization, and collaborations with stakeholders," Sustainability Science, 7 (Supplement 1), 101-113 (2012).
- Yarime, Masaru, and Yuko Tanaka, "The Issues and Methodologies in Sustainability Assessment Tools for Higher Education Institutions: A Review of Recent Trends and Future Challenges," Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 6 (1), 63-77 (2012).
- Pohl, Hans, and Masaru Yarime, "Integrating Innovation System and Management Concepts: The Development of Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles in Japan," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 79 (8), 1431-1446 (2012).
- Shiroyama, Hideaki, Masaru Yarime, Makiko Matsuo, Heike Schroeder, Roland Scholz, and Andrea E. Ulrich, "Governance for sustainability: knowledge integration and multi-actor dimensions in risk management," Sustainability Science, 7 (Supplement 1), 45-55 (2012).
- Jupesta, Joni, Rizaldi Boer, Govindan Parayil, Yuko Harayama, Masaru Yarime, Jose A. Puppim de Oliveira, and Suneetha M. Subramanian, "Managing the Transition to Sustainability in an Emerging Economy: Evaluating Green Growth Policies in Indonesia," Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, 1 (2), 187-191 (2011).
- Dijk, Marc, and Masaru Yarime, "The Emergence of Hybrid-Electric Cars: Innovation Path Creation through Co-Evolution of Supply and Demand," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 77 (8), 1371-1390 (2010).
- Yarime, Masaru, Yoshiyuki Takeda, and Yuya Kajikawa, "Towards Institutional Analysis of Sustainability Science: A Quantitative Examination of the Patterns of Research Collaboration," Sustainability Science, 5 (1), 115-125 (2010).
- Baba, Yasunori, Masaru Yarime, and Naohiro Shichijo, "Sources of Success in Advanced Materials Innovation: The Role of 'Core Researchers' in University-Industry Collaboration in Japan," International Journal of Innovation Management, 14 (2), 201-219 (2010).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Public Coordination for Escaping from Technological Lock-in: Its Possibilities and Limits in Replacing Diesel Vehicles with Compressed Natural Gas Vehicles in Tokyo," Journal of Cleaner Production, 17 (14), 1281-1288 (2009).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Promoting Green Innovation or Prolonging the Existing Technology: Regulation and Technological Change in the Chlor-Alkali Industry in Japan and Europe," Journal of Industrial Ecology, 11 (4), 117-139 (2007).
- Yarime, Masaru, ed., Routledge Handbook of Sustainability Science, London: Routledge, forthcoming.
- Nyberg, Roy, and Masaru Yarime, "Assembling a Field into Place: Smart City Development in Japan," in Marc-David Seidel and Henrich Greve, eds., Research in the Sociology of Organizations, Bingley: Emerald, forthcoming.
- Trencher, Gregory, Daniel Rosenberg Daneri, Kes McCormick, Toru Terada, John Petersen, Masaru Yarime, and Bernadett Kiss, "The role of students in the co-creation of transformational knowledge and sustainability experiments: Experiences from Sweden, Japan and the USA," in Walter Leal and Luciana Brandli, eds., Engaging Stakeholders in Education for Sustainable Development at University Level, Berlin: Springer, 191-215 (2016).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Integrated Solutions to Complex Problems: Transforming Japanese Science and Technology," in Frank Baldwin and Anne Allison, eds., Japan: The Precarious Future, New York: New York University Press and the United States Social Science Research Council (SSRC), 213-235 (2015).
- Mochizuki, Yoko, and Masaru Yarime, "Chapter 1 - Education for Sustainable Development and Sustainability Science: Re-purposing Higher Education and Research," in Matthias Barth, Gerd Michelsen, Marco Rieckmann, and Ian Geoffrey Thomas, eds., Routledge Handbook of Higher Education for Sustainable Development, London: Routledge, 11-24 (2015).
- Yarime, Masaru, and Ali Kharrazi, "Understanding the Environment as a Complex Natural-Social System: Challenges and Opportunities for Public Policies," in Bernardo Alves Furtado, Patrícia A. M. Sakowski, and Marina H. Tóvolli, eds., Modeling Complex Systems for Public Policies, Brasilia: Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA), Secretariat of Strategic Affairs of the Presidency of the Republic, Federal Government of Brazil, 127-140 (2015).
- Yarime, Masaru, Cynthia Carliell-Marquet, Deborah T. Hellums, Yuliya Kalmykova, Daniel J. Lang, Quang Bao Le, Dianne Malley, Kazuyo Matsubae, Makiko Matsuo, Hisao Ohtake, Alan Omlin, Sebastian Petzet, Roland W. Scholz, Hideaki Shiroyama, Andrea E. Ulrich, and Paul Watts, "Dissipation and Recycling: What Losses, What Dissipation Impacts, and What Recycling Options?" in Roland. W. Scholz, Amit. H. Roy, Fridolin S. Brand, Deborah. T. Hellums & Andrea. E. Ulrich, eds., Sustainable Phosphorus Management: A Global Transdisciplinary Roadmap, Dordrecht: Springer, 247-274 (2014).
- Gomes, Catarina, and Masaru Yarime, "Diversity of Human Capital as a Driver for Corporate Responsibility Engagement: The Case of the Luxury Industry," in Miguel Angel Gardetti and Ana Laura Torres, eds., Sustainable Luxury: Managing Social and Environmental Performance in Iconic Brands, Sheffield: Greenleaf Publishing, 148-162 (2014).
- Orsato, Renato J., Marc Dijk, Rene Kemp, and Masaru Yarime, "The Electrification of Automobility: The Bumpy Ride of Electric Vehicles towards Regime Transition," in Frank Geels, Rene Kemp, Geoff Dudley, and Glenn Lyons, eds., Automobility in Transition? A Socio-Technical Analysis of Sustainable Transport, London: Routledge, 205-228 (2012).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Challenges and Opportunities in Sustainability Science: A Perspective Based on Research and Educational Experiences," in Global University Network for Innovation (GUNI), ed., Higher Education in the World 4: Higher Education Committed to Sustainability - From Understanding to Action, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 254-258 (2011).
- Alvial-Palavicino, Carla, and Masaru Yarime, "Sharing and Shaping Perceptions: Dialogues with Expertise in the Deployment of Renewable Energy Technologies," in Matthew Cotton and Bernardo Heisler Motta, eds., Engaging with Environmental Justice: Governance, Education and Citizenship, Oxford: Inter-Disciplinary Press, 189-200 (2011).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Exploring Sustainability Science: Knowledge, Institutions, and Innovation," in Hiroshi Komiyama, Kazuhiko Takeuchi, Hideaki Shiroyama, and Takashi Mino, eds., Sustainability Science: A Multidisciplinary Approach, Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 98-111 (2011).
- Yarime, Masaru, Hideaki Shiroyama, and Yusuke Kuroki, "The Strategies of the Japanese Auto Industry in Developing Hybrid and Fuel Cell Vehicles," in Lynn Mytelka and Grant Boyle, eds., Making Choices about Hydrogen: Transport Issues for Developing Countries, Tokyo: United Nations University Press; and Ottawa: IDRC Press, 187-212 (2008).
- Yarime, Masaru, "Innovation on Clean Technology through Environmental Policy: Emergence of the Ion Exchange Membrane Process in the Japanese Chlor-Alkali Industry," in Saeed Parto and Brent Herbert-Copley, eds., Industrial Innovation and Environmental Regulation: Developing Workable Solutions, Ottawa: IDRC Press; and Tokyo: United Nations University Press, 174-199 (2007).