Ir Dr. Alicia K.J. AN
PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Member of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (MHKIE), Registered Korea Civil Engineer, Member of the Association of Energy Engineers (MAEE), Certified Carbon Auditor Professional (CAP), Member of the International Water Association (IWA)
Assistant Professor (School of Energy and Environment)
Dr. An received her PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). Her dissertation on sludge minimization mechanism in Oxic-Settling-Anaerobic process in wastewater treatment system was well received and cited. Since 2009, Dr. An has extended her research and education career with Sustainability concept at the University of Tokyo, Japan. She has conducted several research projects and field work focused on sustainable water management and urban development.
Dr. An’s research focus is on developing sustainable water resource including desalination, membrane distillation and rainwater harvest.
- Emerging membrane processes: membrane distillation (MD), forward osmosis (FO), and hybrid system for wastewater nutrient recovery and treatment
- Novel seawater desalination technologies using Membrane Technology: MD, FO and Adsorption desalination (AD)
- Optimization and improvement of pre-treatment for algae removal and biofouling control in seawater reverse osmosis systems
- Nanocomposite membrane for Emerging pollutant removal
- Membrane fabrication: organic, inorganic, magnetic and hybrid composite
- Rainwater harvesting and utilization
On-going research projects (PI)
- Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) ITS/262/17FX ‘A Novel Membrane Distillation-Crystallizer (MDCr) for Zero Liquid Discharge and Valuable Resource Recovery’
- UGC/GRF: Project No. GRF 11207717 (CityU9042497) ‘Engineering omniphobic slippery membrane surface for wetting and fouling prevention: the expanded application of membrane distillation for resource recovery from wastewater’
- UGC/ECS: Project No. 21201316 ‘Thermally driven energy efficient desalination process: A hybrid Membrane Distillation - Adsorption Desalination system for concentrate treatment’
- Contract Research: Project No. 9231256 ‘Analyzing and Monitoring On-site Smart Bin Operation and Odor Control Supporting for Promotion to Adopt New Technology’
- City U Applied Research Grant (ARG): Project No. 9667155, ‘Nanocomposite Super-hydrophobic-oleophilic Oil Sorbent for Enhanced Sorption Capacity and Reusability
- Campus Sustainability Fund (CSF): Project No. 6986050, ‘Showcasing the Smart-Bin as a Model for Good Sustainability Practice at CityU for Food Waste Management
On-going research projects as co-I
- UGC: Project No. UGC/FDS25/E10/17. ‘Development of a novel photocatalytic membrane system for bacteria-resistant organics oxidation in wastewater
- Postdoctoral researcher: Dr. Kyung-Jo Kim, Dr. Eric Jiaxin Guo, Dr. David von Eiff
- PhD Year 3: Usman Muhammad Farid, Bhaskar Jyoti Deka, Vicki Man Wai Yim
- PhD Year 2: Joonho Yeo
- PhD Year 1: Noman Khalid Khanzada, Paula Jungwon Choi, Jehad Kharraz, Shang Wentao
- Research Assistant: Bowen Pak Wai Wong, Kris Yifan Wu, Jimyeong Ha (from Oct), Xincong Lyu (from Oct)
- Visiting scholar: Zhao Lei
Postdoctoral Fellows in the field of Membrane-Based Water and Wastewater Treatment at the School of Energy and Environment
A recent Ph.D. in Emerging membrane processes such as membrane distillation (MD), forward osmosis (FO), and hybrid system for seawater desalination reverse osmosis (RO), wastewater nutrient recovery, and treatment. Candidates should be familiar with advanced membrane techniques and have a strong background in water chemistry. Strong oral and written communication skills in English and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team are essential.
To apply, please submit your CV to Dr. Alicia An at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Salary offered will be highly competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Contract duration is for one year and can be renewed subject to performance up to two years. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Selected Journal Publications
2018 (*Corresponding author; ^ Researchers and # PhD students in Alicia’s group)
- Farid, M. U. #; Guo, J.#; An, A. K.*. Bacterial inactivation and in situ monitoring of biofilm development on graphene oxide membrane using optical coherence tomography. J. Memb. Sci. 2018, 564, 22–34. (IF: 6.578)
- Deka, B. J.#; Jeong, S.; Tabatabai, S. A. A.; An, A. K.*. Mitigation of algal organic matter released from Chaetoceros affinis and Hymenomonas by in situ generated ferrate. Chemosphere 2018, 206, 718–726. (IF: 4.427)
- Farid, M. U.#; Jeong, S.; Seo, D. H.; Lau, C.; Ahmed, R.; Gali, N. K.; Ning, Z.; An, A. K.*. Mechanistic insight on the in vitro toxicity of graphene oxide against biofilm forming bacteria using laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Nanoscale 2018. 10, 4475-4487. (IF: 7.233)
- Guo, J.#; Farid, M. U.#; Lee, E.-J.; Yan, D. Y.-S.; Jeong, S.; An, A. K.*. Fouling behavior of negatively charged PVDF membrane in membrane distillation for removal of antibiotics from wastewater. J. Membr. Sci. 2019, 551, 12-19. (IF: 6.578)
- Yi, S.; Jang, Y.-C.; A.K. An*, Potential for energy recovery and greenhouse gas reduction through waste-to-energy technologies. J. Clean. Prod. 2018, 176, 503–511. (IF: 5.651)
- Gogoi, A.; Mazumder, P.; Tyagi, V. K.; Tushara Chaminda, G. G.; An, A. K.; Kumar, M. Occurrence and fate of emerging contaminants in water environment: A review. Groundw. Sustain. Dev. 2018, 6, 169–180.
- Guo, J. #; Li, Z.; Su, L.; Tsang, Y.-F.; An, A.; Yu, C.-F. Optimization of acid pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis on the production of ethanol fuel from waste banana peels. Energy Environ. 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0958305X18777232. (In press)
- Yu, Y; Zhang, S; An, A.K; Furumai H. Simple Method for Calculating Hydraulic Behavior of Combined Sewer Overflow from Rainfall Event Data. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 2018, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000972. (In Press)
2017 (*Corresponding author; ^ Researchers and # PhD students in Alicia’s group)
- Lee, E.-J.^; Deka, B. J. #; Guo, J. #; Woo, Y. C.; Shon, H. K.; An, A. K.* Engineering the Re-Entrant Hierarchy and Surface Energy of PDMS-PVDF Membrane for Membrane Distillation Using a Facile and Benign Microsphere Coating. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2017, 51 (17), 10117–10126. (IF: 6.653)
- Chen, Y.; Tian, M.; Li, X.; Wang, Y.; An, A. K.; Fang, J.; He, T. Anti-wetting behavior of negatively charged superhydrophobic PVDF membranes in direct contact membrane distillation of emulsified wastewaters. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 535, 230–238.(IF: 6.578)
- Usman Farid, M.#; Luan, H. Y.; Wang, Y.; Huang, H.; An, A. K.; Jalil Khan, R. Increased adsorption of aqueous zinc species by Ar/O2 plasma-treated carbon nanotubes immobilized in hollow-fiber ultrafiltration membrane. Chem. Eng. J. 2017, 325, 239–248. (IF: 6.735)
- Wu, J.#; An, A.K.*; Guo, J.#; Lee, E.-J. ^; Farid, M. U.#; Jeong, S. CNTs reinforced super-hydrophobic-oleophilic electrospun polystyrene oil sorbent for enhanced sorption capacity and reusability. Chem. Eng. J. 2017, 314, 526–536. (IF: 6.735)
- An, A.K.*; Guo, J.#; Lee, E.-J. ^; Jeong, S.; Zhao, Y.; Wang, Z.; Leiknes, T. PDMS/PVDF hybrid electrospun membrane with superhydrophobic property and drop impact dynamics for dyeing wastewater treatment using membrane distillation. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 525, 57–67.(IF: 6.578)
- Lee, E.-J. ^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.^; Lee, S.; Woo, Y. C.; Shon, H. K. Advanced multi-nozzle electrospun functionalized titanium dioxide/polyvinylidene fluoride-co-hexafluoropropylene (TiO2/PVDF-HFP) composite membranes for direct contact membrane distillation. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 524, 712–720.(IF: 6.578)
- Lee, J.-G.; Lee, E.-J. ^; Jeong, S.; Guo, J.#; An, A.K.*.; Guo, H.; Kim, J.; Leiknes, T.; Ghaffour, N. Theoretical modeling and experimental validation of transport and separation properties of carbon nanotube electrospun membrane distillation. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 526, 395–408.(IF: 6.578)
- Dong, Y. H.; An, A. K.*; Yan, Y. S.; Yi, S. Hong Kong’s greenhouse gas emissions from the waste sector and its projected changes by integrated waste management facilities. J. Clean. Prod. 2017, 149, 690–700. (IF: 5.651)
- An, A.K.*; Lee, E.-J.^; Guo, J. #; Jeong, S.; Lee, J.-G.; Ghaffour, N.; Enhanced vapor transport in membrane distillation via functionalized carbon nanotubes anchored into electrospun nanofibres. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 41562. http://rdcu.be/oWCZ (IF: 4.122)
- Woo, Y. C.; Tijing, L. D.; Park, M. J.; Yao, M.; Choi, J.-S.; Lee, S.; Kim, S.-H.; An, A.K.*; Shon, H. K. Electrospun dual-layer nonwoven membrane for desalination by air gap membrane distillation. Desalination 2017, 403, 187–198. (IF: 6.603)
2016 (*Corresponding author; ^ Researchers and # PhD students in Alicia’s group)
- An, A.K.*; Guo, J. #; Jeong, S.; Lee, E. J.^; Tabatabai, S. A. A.; Leiknes, T. O. High flux and antifouling properties of negatively charged membrane for dyeing wastewater treatment by membrane distillation. Water Res. 2016, 103, 362–371. (IF: 7.051)
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; He, T.; Woo, Y. C.; Shon, H. K. Electrospun nanofiber membranes incorporating fluorosilane-coated TiO2 nanocomposite for direct contact membrane distillation. J. Membr. Sci. 2016, 520, 145–154.(IF: 6.578)
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.; Yan, D. Y. S. Characterizing flat sheet membrane resistance fraction of chemically enhanced backflush. Chem. Eng. J. 2016, 284, 61–67. (IF: 6.735)
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.; Yan, D. Y. S.; Kim, H.-S. A mechanistic study of in situ chemical cleaning-in-place for a PTFE flat sheet membrane: Fouling mitigation and membrane characterization. Biofouling 2016, 32 (3). (IF: 2.786)
- Gogoi, A.; Tushara Chaminda, G. G.; An, A. K. J.; Snow, D. D.; Li, Y.; Kumar, M. Influence of ligands on metal speciation, transport and toxicity in a tropical river during wet (monsoon) period. Chemosphere 2016, 163, 322–333. (IF: 4.427)
- An, K. J.*; Lam, Y. F. Y. F.; Hao, S.; Morakinyo, T. E. T. E.; Furumai, H. Multi-purpose rainwater harvesting for water resource recovery and the cooling effect. Water Res. 2015, 86, 116–121. (IF: 7.051)
- Hadi, P.^; Yeung, K. Y.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Significance of microporosity on the interaction of phenol with porous graphitic carbon. Chem. Eng. J. 2015, 269, 20–26. (IF: 6.735)
- Jiang, Z.; Tijing, L. D.; Amarjargal, A.; Park, C. H.; An, K.-J.; Shon, H. K.; Kim, C. S. Removal of oil from water using magnetic bicomponent composite nanofibers fabricated by electrospinning. Compos. Part B Eng. 2015, 77, 311–318. (IF: 4.920)
- Lee, J.; Kurisu, K.; An, K.; Hanaki, K. Development of the compact city index and its application to Japanese cities. Urban Stud. 2015, 52 (6), 1054–1070. (IF: 2.364)
- Jung, J.; Shin, Y.; Choi, Y.-J. Y.-J.; Sohn, J.; Lee, S.; An, K. Hydrophobic surface modification of membrane distillation (MD) membranes using water-repelling polymer based on urethane rubber. Desalin. Water Treat. 2015, 3994 (June 2015), 1–11. (IF: 1.631)
- Xu, M.; Hadi, P.^; Ning, C.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Aluminosilicate-based adsorbent in equimolar and non-equimolar binary-component heavy metal removal systems. Water Sci. Technol. 2015, 72 (12), 2166–2178. (IF: 1.247)
- Hadi, P.^; Yeung, K. Y.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Significance of “effective” surface area of activated carbons on elucidating the adsorption mechanism of large dye molecules. J. Environ. Chem. Eng. 2015, 3 (2), 1029–1037.
Book chapter writing
- Environmental Leadership Development Based on Activity Theory for Sustainable Urban Development in the Greater Pearl River Delta, China (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.
- APIEL Compulsory Course: Environmental Challenges and Leadership in Asia (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.
- The Concept of Environmental Leader (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.