Ir Dr. Alicia K.J. AN
PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Member of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (MHKIE), Registered Korea Civil Engineer, Member of the Association of Energy Engineers (MAEE), Certified Carbon Auditor Professional (CAP), Member of the International Water Association (IWA)
Assistant Professor (School of Energy and Environment)
Dr. An received her PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). Her dissertation on sludge minimization mechanism in Oxic-Settling-Anaerobic process in wastewater treatment system was well received and cited. Since 2009, Dr. An has extended her research and education career with Sustainability concept at the University of Tokyo, Japan. She has conducted several research projects and field work focused on sustainable water management and urban development.
Dr. An’s research focus is on developing sustainable water resource including desalination, membrane distillation and rainwater harvest.
- Emerging membrane processes: membrane distillation (MD), forward osmosis (FO), and hybrid system for wastewater nutrient recovery and treatment
- Novel seawater desalination technologies using Membrane Technology: MD, FO and Adsorption desalination (AD)
- Optimization and improvement of pre-treatment for algae removal and biofouling control in seawater reverse osmosis systems
- Nanocomposite membrane for Emerging pollutant removal
- Membrane fabrication: organic, inorganic, magnetic and hybrid composite
- Rainwater harvesting and utilization
Selected Journal Publications
2017 (*Corresponding author; ^ Researchers and + PhD students in Dr. An's group)
- An, A.K.*; Lee, E.-J.^; Guo, J.+; Jeong, S.; Lee, J.-G.; Ghaffour, N.; Enhanced vapor transport in membrane distillation via functionalized carbon nanotubes anchored into electrospun nanofibres. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 41562. http://rdcu.be/oWCZ
- An, A.K.*; Guo, J.+; Lee, E.-J.^; Jeong, S.; Zhao, Y.; Wang, Z.; Leiknes, T. PDMS/PVDF hybrid electrospun membrane with superhydrophobic property and drop impact dynamics for dyeing wastewater treatment using membrane distillation. J. Memb. Sci. 2017, 525, 57–67.
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.; Lee, S.; Woo, Y. C.; Shon, H. K. Advanced multi-nozzle electrospun functionalized titanium dioxide/polyvinylidene fluoride-co-hexafluoropropylene (TiO2/PVDF-HFP) composite membranes for direct contact membrane distillation. J. Memb. Sci. 2017, 524, 712–720.
- Wu, J.+; An, A.K.*; Guo, J.+; Lee, E.-J.^; Farid, M. U.+; Jeong, S. CNTs reinforced super-hydrophobic-oleophilic electrospun polystyrene oil sorbent for enhanced sorption capacity and reusability. Chem. Eng. J. 2017, 314, 526-536
- Dong, Y. H.; An, A. K.*; Yan, Y. S.; Yi, S. Hong Kong’s greenhouse gas emissions from the waste sector and its projected changes by integrated waste management facilities. J. Clean. Prod. 2017,149, 690–700.
- Lee, J.-G.; Lee, E.-J.^; Jeong, S.; Guo, J.+; An, A.K.*.; Guo, H.; Kim, J.; Leiknes, T.; Ghaffour, N. Theoretical modeling and experimental validation of transport and separation properties of carbon nanotube electrospun membrane distillation. J. Memb. Sci. 2017, 526, 395–408.
- Woo, Y. C.; Tijing, L. D.; Park, M. J.; Yao, M.; Choi, J.-S.; Lee, S.; Kim, S.-H.; An, A.K.; Shon, H. K. Electrospun dual-layer nonwoven membrane for desalination by air gap membrane distillation. Desalination 2017, 403, 187–198.
2016 (*Corresponding author; ^ Researchers and + PhD students in Dr. An's group)
- An, A.K.*; Guo, J.+; Jeong, S.; Lee, E. J.^; Tabatabai, S. A. A.; Leiknes, T. O. High flux and antifouling properties of negatively charged membrane for dyeing wastewater treatment by membrane distillation. Water Res. 2016, 103, 362–371.
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; He, T.; Woo, Y. C.; Shon, H. K. Electrospun nanofiber membranes incorporating fluorosilane-coated TiO2 nanocomposite for direct contact membrane distillation. J. Memb. Sci. 2016, 520, 145–154.
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.^; Yan, D. Y. S. Characterizing flat sheet membrane resistance fraction of chemically enhanced backflush. Chem. Eng. J. 2016, 284, 61–67.
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.^; Yan, D. Y. S.; Kim, H.-S. A mechanistic study of in situ chemical cleaning-in-place for a PTFE flat sheet membrane: Fouling mitigation and membrane characterization. Biofouling 2016, 32 (3).
- Gogoi, A.; Tushara Chaminda, G. G.; An, A. K. J.; Snow, D. D.; Li, Y.; Kumar, M. Influence of ligands on metal speciation, transport and toxicity in a tropical river during wet (monsoon) period. Chemosphere 2016, 163, 322–333.
- An, K. J.*; Lam, Y. F.; Hao, S.; Morakinyo, T. E.; Furumai, H. Multi-purpose rainwater harvesting for water resource recovery and the cooling effect. Water Res. 2015, 86, 116–121.
- Xu, M.; Hadi, P.; Ning, C.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Aluminosilicate-based adsorbent in equimolar and non-equimolar binary-component heavy metal removal systems. Water Sci. Technol. 2015, 72 (12), 2166–2178.
- Jung, J.; Shin, Y.; Choi, Y.-J. Y.-J.; Sohn, J.; Lee, S.; An, K. Hydrophobic surface modification of membrane distillation (MD) membranes using water-repelling polymer based on urethane rubber. Desalin. Water Treat. 2015, 3994 (June 2015), 1–11.
- Hadi, P.; Yeung, K. Y.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Significance of “effective” surface area of activated carbons on elucidating the adsorption mechanism of large dye molecules. J. Environ. Chem. Eng. 2015, 3 (2), 1029–1037.
- Hadi, P.; Yeung, K. Y.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Significance of microporosity on the interaction of phenol with porous graphitic carbon. Chem. Eng. J. 2015, 269, 20–26.
- Jiang, Z.; Tijing, L. D.; Amarjargal, A.; Park, C. H.; An, K.-J.; Shon, H. K.; Kim, C. S. Removal of oil from water using magnetic bicomponent composite nanofibers fabricated by electrospinning. Compos. Part B Eng. 2015, 77, 311–318.
- Lee, J.; Kurisu, K.; An, K.; Hanaki, K. Development of the compact city index and its application to Japanese cities. Urban Stud. 2015, 52 (6), 1054–1070.
Book chapter writing
- Environmental Leadership Development Based on Activity Theory for Sustainable Urban Development in the Greater Pearl River Delta, China (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.
- APIEL Compulsory Course: Environmental Challenges and Leadership in Asia (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.
- The Concept of Environmental Leader (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.