Ir Dr. Alicia K.J. AN
PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Member of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (MHKIE), Registered Korea Civil Engineer, Member of the Association of Energy Engineers (MAEE), Certified Carbon Auditor Professional (CAP), Member of the International Water Association (IWA)
Assistant Professor (School of Energy and Environment)
Dr. An received her PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). Her dissertation on sludge minimization mechanism in Oxic-Settling-Anaerobic process in wastewater treatment system was well received and cited. Since 2009, Dr. An has extended her research and education career with Sustainability concept at the University of Tokyo, Japan. She has conducted several research projects and field work focused on sustainable water management and urban development.
Dr. An’s research focus is on developing sustainable water resource including desalination, membrane distillation and rainwater harvest.
- Emerging membrane processes: membrane distillation (MD), forward osmosis (FO), and hybrid system for wastewater nutrient recovery and treatment
- Novel seawater desalination technologies using Membrane Technology: MD, FO and Adsorption desalination (AD)
- Optimization and improvement of pre-treatment for algae removal and biofouling control in seawater reverse osmosis systems
- Nanocomposite membrane for Emerging pollutant removal
- Membrane fabrication: organic, inorganic, magnetic and hybrid composite
- Rainwater harvesting and utilization
On-going research grants (PI)
- Project No. 9042497 ‘Engineering omniphobic slippery membrane surface for wetting and fouling prevention: the expanded application of membrane distillation for resource recovery from wastewater’ GRF, 582,000 HKD
- Project No. 9048074 ‘Thermally driven energy efficient desalination process: A hybrid Membrane Distillation - Adsorption Desalination system for concentrate treatment’ ECS, $456,050 HKD
- Project No. 9231256 ‘Analyzing and Monitoring On-site Smart Bin Operation and Odor Control Supporting for Promotion to Adopt New Technology’, Contract Research-RO (ConRes-RO), $200,000 HKD
- Project No. 9667155, ‘Nanocomposite Super-hydrophobic-oleophilic Oil Sorbent for Enhanced Sorption Capacity and Reusability, City U Applied Research Grant (ARG), 167,630 HKD
- Project No. 6986050, ‘Showcasing the Smart-Bin as a Model for Good Sustainability Practice at CityU for Food Waste Management, Campus Sustainability Fund (CSF), 65,000 HKD
- Project No. 7004521. ‘Novel Functionalized Nanofibrous Membrane for Membrane Distillation (MD) to Treat RO Brine’ SRG-Fd, 100,000HKD
On-going consultancy work as PI
- Consultancy Project: First Stage of Desalination Plant at Tseung Kwan O -Investigation, Design and Construction (Black & Veatch): 200,000 HKD
Completed research Project as PI
- Project No. 6986032. ‘Turning Waste into Energy for Waste Reduction and Resource Saving’, Campus Sustainability Fund (CSF), 131,801 HKD
- Project No. 7200447. ‘Optimization of the Performance and Energy Efficiencies of the Membrane Distillation Desalination Process’, StUp, 200,000 HKD
1. Postdoc fellow who is a PhD holder and experienced in Membrane distillation and crystallization process and its application in desalination. Strong oral and written communication skills in English and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team are essential.
To apply, please submit your CV to Dr. Alicia An at email@example.com
Salary offered will be highly competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Contract duration is for 6 months and can be renewed subject to performance up to 2 years. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
2. Potential graduate students interested in studying 1) advanced membranes and liquid dehumidifying agents (desiccants) for dehumidification to control humidity and temperature: a membrane-based HVAC with energy recovery; and 2) membrane distillation and crystallization for brine treatment and valuable resource recovery are welcomed to contact Dr. AN.
Applicants will have to go through a centralized admission process through the City University of Hong Kong. The successful applicants will receive generous scholarships. The next intake of graduate student will be for the academic year starting from September 2018. Currently, two PhD positions are available.
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, especially applicants who will enhance the diversity of our staff.
Selected Journal Publications
2018 (*Corresponding author; ^ Researchers and # PhD students in Alicia’s group)
- Farid, M. U.#; Jeong, S.; Seo, D. H.; Lau, C.; Ahmed, R.; Gali, N. K.; Ning, Z.; An, A. K.*. Mechanistic insight on the in vitro toxicity of graphene oxide against biofilm forming bacteria using laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Nanoscale 2018. 10, 4475-4487. (IF: 7.367)
- Guo, J.#; Farid, M. U.#; Lee, E.-J.; Yan, D. Y.-S.; Jeong, S.; An, A. K.*. Fouling behavior of negatively charged PVDF membrane in membrane distillation for removal of antibiotics from wastewater. J. Membr. Sci. 2019, 551, 12-19. (IF: 6.035)
- Yi, S.; Jang, Y.-C.; A.K. An*, Potential for energy recovery and greenhouse gas reduction through waste-to-energy technologies. J. Clean. Prod. 2018, 176, 503–511. (IF: 5.715)
- Gogoi, A.; Mazumder, P.; Tyagi, V. K.; Tushara Chaminda, G. G.; An, A. K.; Kumar, M. Occurrence and fate of emerging contaminants in water environment: A review. Groundw. Sustain. Dev. 2018, 6, 169–180.
2017 (*Corresponding author; ^ Researchers and # PhD students in Alicia’s group)
- Lee, E.-J. ^; Deka, B. J.#; Guo, J.#; Woo, Y. C.; Shon, H.; An, A. K.* Engineering the re-entrant hierarchy and surface energy of PDMS-PVDF membrane for membrane distillation using a facile and benign microsphere coating. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2017, acs.est.7b01108. (IF: 6.198)
- Chen, Y.; Tian, M.; Li, X.; Wang, Y.; An, A. K.; Fang, J.; He, T. Anti-wetting behavior of negatively charged superhydrophobic PVDF membranes in direct contact membrane distillation of emulsified wastewaters. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 535, 230–238. (IF: 6.035)
- Usman Farid, M.#; Luan, H. Y.; Wang, Y.; Huang, H.; An, A. K.; Jalil Khan, R. Increased adsorption of aqueous zinc species by Ar/O2 plasma-treated carbon nanotubes immobilized in hollow-fiber ultrafiltration membrane. Chem. Eng. J. 2017, 325, 239–248. (IF: 6.216)
- Wu, J.#; An, A.K.*; Guo, J.#; Lee, E.-J. ^; Farid, M. U.#; Jeong, S. CNTs reinforced super-hydrophobic-oleophilic electrospun polystyrene oil sorbent for enhanced sorption capacity and reusability. Chem. Eng. J. 2017, 314, 526–536. (IF: 6.216)
- An, A.K.*; Guo, J.#; Lee, E.-J. ^; Jeong, S.; Zhao, Y.; Wang, Z.; Leiknes, T. PDMS/PVDF hybrid electrospun membrane with superhydrophobic property and drop impact dynamics for dyeing wastewater treatment using membrane distillation. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 525, 57–67. (IF: 6.035)
- Lee, E.-J. ^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.^; Lee, S.; Woo, Y. C.; Shon, H. K. Advanced multi-nozzle electrospun functionalized titanium dioxide/polyvinylidene fluoride-co-hexafluoropropylene (TiO2/PVDF-HFP) composite membranes for direct contact membrane distillation. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 524, 712–720. (IF: 6.035)
- Lee, J.-G.; Lee, E.-J. ^; Jeong, S.; Guo, J.#; An, A.K.*.; Guo, H.; Kim, J.; Leiknes, T.; Ghaffour, N. Theoretical modeling and experimental validation of transport and separation properties of carbon nanotube electrospun membrane distillation. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 526, 395–408. (IF: 6.035)
- Dong, Y. H.; An, A. K.*; Yan, Y. S.; Yi, S. Hong Kong’s greenhouse gas emissions from the waste sector and its projected changes by integrated waste management facilities. J. Clean. Prod. 2017, 149, 690–700. (IF: 5.715)
- An, A.K.*; Lee, E.-J.^; Guo, J. #; Jeong, S.; Lee, J.-G.; Ghaffour, N.; Enhanced vapor transport in membrane distillation via functionalized carbon nanotubes anchored into electrospun nanofibres. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 41562. http://rdcu.be/oWCZ (IF: 4.259)
- Woo, Y. C.; Tijing, L. D.; Park, M. J.; Yao, M.; Choi, J.-S.; Lee, S.; Kim, S.-H.; An, A.K.*; Shon, H. K. Electrospun dual-layer nonwoven membrane for desalination by air gap membrane distillation. Desalination 2017, 403, 187–198. (IF: 5.527)
2016 (*Corresponding author; ^ Researchers and # PhD students in Alicia’s group)
- An, A.K.*; Guo, J. #; Jeong, S.; Lee, E. J.^; Tabatabai, S. A. A.; Leiknes, T. O. High flux and antifouling properties of negatively charged membrane for dyeing wastewater treatment by membrane distillation. Water Res. 2016, 103, 362–371. (IF: 6.942)
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; He, T.; Woo, Y. C.; Shon, H. K. Electrospun nanofiber membranes incorporating fluorosilane-coated TiO2 nanocomposite for direct contact membrane distillation. J. Membr. Sci. 2016, 520, 145–154. (IF: 6.035)
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.; Yan, D. Y. S. Characterizing flat sheet membrane resistance fraction of chemically enhanced backflush. Chem. Eng. J. 2016, 284, 61–67. (IF: 6.216)
- Lee, E.-J.^; An, A.K.*; Hadi, P.; Yan, D. Y. S.; Kim, H.-S. A mechanistic study of in situ chemical cleaning-in-place for a PTFE flat sheet membrane: Fouling mitigation and membrane characterization. Biofouling 2016, 32 (3). (IF: 3.08)
- Gogoi, A.; Tushara Chaminda, G. G.; An, A. K. J.; Snow, D. D.; Li, Y.; Kumar, M. Influence of ligands on metal speciation, transport and toxicity in a tropical river during wet (monsoon) period. Chemosphere 2016, 163, 322–333. (IF: 4.208)
- An, K. J.*; Lam, Y. F. Y. F.; Hao, S.; Morakinyo, T. E. T. E.; Furumai, H. Multi-purpose rainwater harvesting for water resource recovery and the cooling effect. Water Res. 2015, 86, 116–121. (IF: 6.942)
- Hadi, P.^; Yeung, K. Y.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Significance of microporosity on the interaction of phenol with porous graphitic carbon. Chem. Eng. J. 2015, 269, 20–26. (IF: 6.216)
- Jiang, Z.; Tijing, L. D.; Amarjargal, A.; Park, C. H.; An, K.-J.; Shon, H. K.; Kim, C. S. Removal of oil from water using magnetic bicomponent composite nanofibers fabricated by electrospinning. Compos. Part B Eng. 2015, 77, 311–318. (IF: 4.727)
- Lee, J.; Kurisu, K.; An, K.; Hanaki, K. Development of the compact city index and its application to Japanese cities. Urban Stud. 2015, 52 (6), 1054–1070. (IF: 2.364)
- Jung, J.; Shin, Y.; Choi, Y.-J. Y.-J.; Sohn, J.; Lee, S.; An, K. Hydrophobic surface modification of membrane distillation (MD) membranes using water-repelling polymer based on urethane rubber. Desalin. Water Treat. 2015, 3994 (June 2015), 1–11. (IF: 1.631)
- Xu, M.; Hadi, P.^; Ning, C.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Aluminosilicate-based adsorbent in equimolar and non-equimolar binary-component heavy metal removal systems. Water Sci. Technol. 2015, 72 (12), 2166–2178. (IF: 1.197)
- Hadi, P.^; Yeung, K. Y.; Barford, J.; An, K. J.; McKay, G. Significance of “effective” surface area of activated carbons on elucidating the adsorption mechanism of large dye molecules. J. Environ. Chem. Eng. 2015, 3 (2), 1029–1037.
Book chapter writing
- Environmental Leadership Development Based on Activity Theory for Sustainable Urban Development in the Greater Pearl River Delta, China (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.
- APIEL Compulsory Course: Environmental Challenges and Leadership in Asia (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.
- The Concept of Environmental Leader (2013). Environmental Leadership Capacity Building in Higher Education. Springer Open.