Student Exchange Programme

Outgoing Exchange Students

** Student Exchange Programme 2019/20 (Second Round) open for application during 21 August – 10 September 2019 **

To widen the global horizon and enhance learning experience, students are encouraged to join the Student Exchange Programme to undertake part of the degree study aboard. SEE students can apply for exchange places of partner institutions at both institutional and school level programmes.

Eligibility and Selection Criteria

    Cumulative Grade Point Average

    2.8 or above for school-level exchange places
    2.8 or above for SEE reserved exchange places at institutional level
    2.5 or above for the rest of institutional level places

    Year of Study

    Undergraduate Students:
    At the time of exchange, students should have completed at least one year of study in undergraduate programme at CityU.

    Postgraduate Students:
    At the time of exchange, students should have completed at least one semester of study in postgraduate programme at CityU.

    English Language Proficiency

    Students must meet one of the following minimum requirements, unless they apply for programmes that are conducted in Chinese language at partner institutions in the mainland or Taiwan:

    1. A minimum TOEFL total score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (paper-based test)
    2. A minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5
    3. Grade C or above in one of the following subjects:
      • HKALE AS Use of English
      • HKALE English Literature
      • GCEAL English Literature (or grade B GCSE English Language)
      • An English course approved by the Senate for fulfilling the University language requirement
    4. Level 4 or above in HKDSE English Language
    5. Any other equivalent English proficiency result, including a minimum of 1650 on SATI or International Baccalaureate Diploma with an overall minimum score of 28


    • If the English language requirements prescribed by the host institution are higher than the above, you must follow such requirements for admission purpose.
    • Partner institutions usually require the submission of TOEFL / IELTS score reports at the time of Admission Application. You are strongly advised to prepare your TOEFL / IELTS test as early as possible.
    Selection Criteria
    (for reference only)
    • Good academic performance
    • Active in extra-curricular activities/community services
    • High English proficiency
    • Presentable and cheerful
    • Positive attitude towards studies
    • Good knowledge of the achievements of SEE/CityU/Hong Kong


(i) Application and Exchange Period

Two rounds of application for student exchange are available as follows. Interested students are advised to apply for exchange studies as early as the application period is open.

  Second Round
Exchange Period Semester B, 2019/20
Application Period 21 August – 10 September 2019

(ii) Application Procedures

Important Date  
On or before 10 September 2019
  1. Identify institutions at Institutional level from the List of Partner Institutions (i-level) and School level from the List of Partner Institutions (school-level). 
  2. Go through the course lists of the institutions and identify courses that would fit your study plan and interests.
  3. Submit Student Exchange Application and proof of English result through AIMS (under "Student Services"). Nomination will be made based on your preferences, CGPA and English proficiency.
On or before 20 September 2019 Submit “Course Plan and Application for Credit Transfer” to SEE General Office.
25 September 2019 onwards Announcement of application result on AIMS
After the release of result Apply for admission to the assigned host institution if you are selected.

Academic Arrangement and Credit Transfer

You are strongly advised to take courses at host institutions relevant to your majors, minors and gateway education.  You can apply to transfer the credits obtained during the exchange study towards the degree requirement at CityU.  Fail grades will not be accepted for transfer of credits.  

(i) Course Credit Transfer Pre-approval Record

(The record is for reference only. Credit transfer request should be submitted to SEE General Office for pre-approval every year.) Credit Transfer Pre-approval Record.pdf

(ii) Course Plan and Application for Credit Transfer

Important Notes:

  1. Study the course catalogues of host institutions carefully when you apply for exchange programme. You are requested to submit "Course Plan and Application for Credit Transfer form" to seek pre-approval for credit-transfer. (Please follow the Application Procedures).
  2. On the "Course Plan and Application for Credit Transfer" form, you should indicate ALL courses you plan to take at the host institution, and their equivalent CityU courses for credit transfer. Please refer to the “Course Credit Transfer Pre-approval Record” to facilitate your course selection.
  3. Submit the "Course Plan and Application for Credit Transfer" form to SEE General Office for submission to the course leaders.
  4. If you wish to transfer credits to courses offered by academic units other than SEE, please submit the form to course offering units for pre-approval through SEE General Office in person. If you wish to transfer credits towards GE Requirements, please download and complete “GE Course Credit Transfer Pre-approval Form” (EDGE webpage) and submit it to EDGE Office for approval. Result will be announced by email.
  5. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are enrolled in the appropriate courses at host institution. If you are going to change the course list as indicated in the original credit transfer application after arriving at host institution, you are required to notify Exchange Coordinator via SEE General Office (Miss Vivian Kong – Then, please submit an application for the newly-added courses that you wish to transfer credits. Review of each request may take 1 - 2 weeks. Please make sure you reserve enough time should you need to meet the add/drop period of host institution.
  6. In support of the application, upon return, you should submit an official transcript of the exchange study to SEE General Office by the first week of the semester following the exchange study, or as soon as you receive it, whichever is sooner. Credit transfer will only be confirmed after transcript has been reviewed.
  7. Transferred credits taken during exchange studies will not be counted in the calculation of a student’s GPA. In the student’s academic record, a “TR” grade will be assigned to the equivalent CityU course. For details, please refer to ARRO website.

Budget and Financial Support

(i) Budget

A Caution Money of HK$1000 that students will need to pay to the University when they decide to accept the exchange offer starting from this round of application. This Caution Money will be reimbursed to students when and if they complete the exchange programme to satisfaction and submitted all the required documents back to the University upon completion of their exchange programme. Should student fail to meet the above stated requirements or decide to withdraw from the programme after accepting the offer, before or after departure, the Caution Money will be forfeited.

You should consider the following expenses when preparing for your exchange studies:

    1. Travel expenses
    2. Accommodation
    3. Passport and visa fees
    4. Medical and travel insurance
    5. Food
    6. Books and supplies
    7. Local transportation costs
    8. Personal spending
    9. Study-related fees required by your host institution

Remarks: Though you are exempted from paying tuition fee to your host institution, you are required to remain enrolled at CityU by paying tuition fee and the study-related fees.

(ii) Financial Support

    1. Student Exchange Fund
      • Selected to participate in a student exchange programme
      • Hong Kong permanent residents
      • Local students studying in full-time, government-funded bachelor's degree programmes
      • Fulfilled the University English language requirement
    2. Special Fund for Non-local Outbound Exchange Students
      • Selected to participate in a student exchange programme
      • Non-local students studying in full-time, government-funded bachelor's degree programmes
      • Fulfilled the University English language requirement
    3. Joseph Lau Student Exchange Awards

      The Joseph Lau Student Exchange Awards (劉鑾雄交換生奬) have been established since 2012-13 academic year to support CityU outbound exchange students who have financial difficulties.

    4. Subsidies Offered by the Education Bureau

      Established in 2015, the Subsidy Scheme on Exchange for Post-secondary Students (SSE) is offered by the Education Bureau (EDB) of Hong Kong Government to support financially needy students at City University of Hong Kong to participate in credit-bearing Student Exchange Programme. Further to SSE, EDB has also introduced the Scheme for Subsidy on Exchange to "Belt and Road" Regions for Post-secondary Students (SSEBR) to encourage and support students in need to go on exchange in the "Belt and Road" (B&R) regions starting from July 2016.

      For details, please check the GEO website:

    5. University Scholarships

      Numerous donors have established various scholarships in support of the University's Student Exchange Programme. For details, please visit Student Development Services (SDS) website:

Note: Local students are eligible to apply for either "Student Exchange Fund" or "Joseph Lau Student Exchange Awards" while non-local students for either "Special Fund for Non-local Outbound Exchange Students" or "Joseph Lau Student Exchange Awards".

(iii) Other Financial Assistance

CityU Temporary Student Loan for Outbound Exchange Studies is an interest-free loan being set aside to help local full-time UGC-funded students cover part of the expenses of outbound exchange studies. For details, please visit the SDS website:

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I need to defer graduation if I participate in exchange study overseas?
    Deferred graduation is not encouraged. You are advised to work out the study plan at host institution carefully and take courses of which the credits can be transferred back to CityU.

  2. Is IELTS or TOEFL a must for the application of Student Exchange Programme?
    Not necessarily a must. Students are eligible to apply should they meet one of the minimum English requirements set by the University. However, applicants who are able to present a minimum IELTS or TOEFL requirement will have an advantage in the selection process. In addition, selected outbound exchange student must satisfy English language requirement, if any, set by the host university before they will be nominated by CityU, which commonly requires IELTS or TOEFL.

  3. Which semester will I be sent for an exchange study?
    For the first round application in January/February, the exchange period can be Semester A or Semester B of the next academic year. For second round application, the exchange period will be Semester B of the same academic year. You will select the exchange semester in the application.

  4. When should I go on exchange?
    Students usually go on exchange in Year 3. It is recommended that they go for exchange study in Semester B of year 3 in view that many of the core courses in Semester A of year 3 are pre-requisites of courses to be taken in the subsequent semesters. Students who wish to go in Year 4 should be aware that according to the study plan, they are required to carry out Final Year Project (FYP) in Year 4. Please discuss with the FYP supervisor, Exchange Coordinator and Academic Advisor before applying.

  5. Will I attend both the interviews for Institutional-level Exchange Programme and School-level Exchange Programme?
    The School will invite all eligible applicants to attend interview for SEE-specific exchange places which include school-level exchange programme and SEE reserved exchange places at institutional level. At the same time, for the institutional-level exchange places that are not reserved for SEE students, Global Services Office will invite shortlisted applicant for interview.

  6. Is it possible to have credit transfer for GE courses?
    To transfer credits of a course you will take at host institution to fulfill GE requirements, one option is to apply for credit transfer to an equivalent course at CityU which fits your GE requirements. However if an equivalent course cannot be identified, you may apply for credit transfer towards GE Requirements.
    Please refer to the information:

Contact person at SEE

Miss Vivian Kong
Executive Officer
email: / Tel: 3442 4426