Support for Students with Special Educational Needs (SEN)


The City University of Hong Kong values the diversity of its students and is committed to providing a learning environment that is conclusive to the success of all its student, including those with Special Educational Needs, in their pursuits to achieve academic excellence and continued personal development. We believe students with SEN have equal right to enjoy both academic and non-academic opportunities. Collaborated with faculties and supporting units, we strive to provide a barrier-free learning environment and improve access to academic programs, campus activities and facilities for students with special educational need.

A leaflet has been designed to introduce the support services for students with special educational needs.

Declaration by Student

Students with SEN are strongly encouraged to complete the online “Special Educational Needs Declaration Form” with documentation proof via AIMS as soon as possible to acquire the accommodations no later than the end of week 2 of the first Semester/ Term of their admission so that suitable arrangements can be provided to facilitate the student’s learning at the University.

Upon receiving a student’s declaration, the SEN Officer of the Student Development Services (SDS) will review the supporting documents submitted, verify the eligibility of the student and understand his/ her educational needs; and makes recommendations to academic unites on academic accommodations suitable for the student.


Please click here to get information of the services, facilities and equipment available in the Library for students with disabilities.

Computing Services Centre

Please click here to get further information on the facilities and equipment which are set for students with special education needs to attend classes in the Computing Services Centre.

English Language Centre

Please click here to get further information on the services provided by English Language Centre (ELC). Students with SEN may contact Coordinator for Student with Special Needs from ELC to arrange further consultation on how to improve English proficiency.

Employment Preparation

Students with special educational needs are strongly encouraged to make appointment with career counselor and talk about their concern in their career development. Please click into the following link to get more information about our career counselling services:

Internship for Students with Special Educational Needs

Summer Intern
(for year 1-3 full-time Bachelor students)

HKSAR-Civil Service Bureau

DE Empower 體驗期職坊
DE Empower: Career Empowerment Platform for People of Differences

DE Experience and Lee Hysan Foundation

共融實習計劃 2017
Let's Work Together Internship Programme 2017


Scholarship Funding

Apart from Scholarship and funding administered by the university there are other funding exclusively offered to students with SEN by external donors and institutions. The following are funding which students with special educational needs can apply for to aid their academic pursuit.

Jockey Club IT Scheme for People with Visual Impairment (The Scheme)

Social Welfare Department

Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship / Scholarship for Disabled Students

Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund

Li Kwan Hung Education Fund

Hong Kong Phab Association

Zonta Club of Victoria Bursary


Simon K.Y. Lee & Lee Chi Hung Scholarship for the Hearing Impaired Students

The Hong Kong Society for the Deaf

The Hong Kong Jockey Club Scholarship Scheme (local students)
香港賽馬會獎學金 (本地生)

The Hong Kong Jockey Club

Counselling Services

University life can be a big challenge in one’s development. We welcome students with special educational needs to make appointment with us and talk about their concern in their study, adjustment, interpersonal relationship and other issues that affect their emotion and functioning. Please clink into the following link to get more information about our counselling services:

Accessible Facilities

The campus strives to provide barrier-free facilities to students. Accessible washrooms and lifts are around campus. Students who have difficulties accessing classroom or other campus location should contact SEN Officer for finding solution. Some assistive equipment has been placed in library Special Needs Room and Computer Series Centre Teaching Studio Areas for student to use.

Accessible furniture, including adjustable tables, can be requested by students who are in need. For better arrangement, students should send their time-table to SEN Officer as soon as possible to ensure the furniture can be well prepared in a timely manner.

Shuttle Bus Service

Shuttle bus service is available for students with physical disabilities to travel between the main campus and other CityU venues (e.g. SCM / student accommodations). Please email your timetable to for arrangement.

Peer Support on Educational Needs

To maximize the potential of students with SEN, we can arrange buddies to assist SEN students to take notes in class, to help with library search, to scan and convert reading materials into accessible formats, and provision of other support according to needs. Please send your request to for further arrangements.

Enquiry and Contact

Ms Holly Ho (SEN Officer)
(852) 3442 5417
Address: Student Development Services, 6/F, Amenities Building, City University of Hong Kong