CITY UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG
Chiang Chen Overseas Exchange Scholarships
( 蔣震海外交流獎學金 )
Chiang Chen Industrial Charity Foundation (HK) Limited ( 蔣震工業慈善基金 ), which is dedicated to advance industrialization and encourage training of industrial talents, has agreed to donate annually a number of scholarships to the City University of Hong Kong for the purpose of supporting undergraduate Engineering students to develop international perspectives through undertaking a period of study overseas. The following regulations shall apply as of 2015/2016:
Scholarship Value and Number of Awards
There shall be SIX awards in the academic year 2015/2016. The value of each award shall be HK$15,000.
All full-time UGC-funded local undergraduate students who have been selected to participate in the University’s exchange programme in non-Asian countries for a period of one semester in the 2016/2017 academic and have met the following criteria:
1. are Engineering students from the College of Science and Engineering (excluding Civil Engineering);
2. have achieved CGPA 3.5 or above (students with CGPA 3.3 – 3.5 will also be considered if they are highly recommended by their College / Departments);
3. have leadership qualities and participated in extra-curricular activities;
4. have fulfilled, before departing for exchange studies, the English language requirements# for exchange programme using English as the medium of instruction, or other language proficiency or special requirement as specified for individual programme.
Where candidates are of equal merit, preference shall be given to those students whose Family Household Income is not more than HK$20,000 per month. No award shall be made when all candidates are judged to be of insufficient merit.
1. Scholarship recipients are allowed to hold concurrently other outbound exchange scholarship(s) if the budgeted expenses of the exchange studies are higher than the award amount. They are allowed to receive Student Exchange Fund from the University concurrently for the exchange programmes.
2. Scholarship recipients are required to attend a three-hour “Pre-departure Training Session for Scholarship Recipients” which will be held at 2:30 pm on 20 May 2016 (Friday). Scholarships will be withdrawn for students failing to fulfill the requirement unless prior approval has been sought from Student Development Services.
3. Scholarship recipients are required to submit reports in Chinese of at least 500 words each with photos on their exchange study to SDS within one month upon their return to Hong Kong.
4. 80% of the scholarship value shall be paid when the recipients present the offering letters issued by the overseas universities. The 20% of the scholarship value shall be paid when the recipients have submitted their reports on exchange study.
5. The University reserves the right to demand for full or partial refund of the scholarship should any student fails to complete the exchange programme.
6. Scholarship recipients are obliged to attend the scholarship presentation ceremony as organized by the donor or by the University.
7. Scholarship recipients are expected to donate at least HK$200 annually to CityU for student support purpose via “CityU Alumni Giving Club” after graduation.
Application Procedure and Deadline
Eligible students should submit their applications and upload relevant supporting documents by 12:00 noon, 1 April 2016 (Friday), via the Online Scholarship Application System. Late submission will not be considered.
The College of Science and Engineering shall shortlist 8-12 suitable candidates in one batch to the donor for final selection via Student Development Services by the April 2016. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend a selection interview to be held in April or May 2016. Candidates failing to attend the selection interview in person will not be considered.
Miss Monsar Chan
Student Development Services
Tel: 3442 8113
# English language requirements:
(i) A minimum TOEFL score of 213 (computer-based test) or 550 (paper-based test) or 79 (internet-based test) or IELTS Band 6.5 or above; OR
(ii) Grade C or above in one of the following subjects:
a. HKALE Use of English / English Literature
b. GCE A/AS Level English Language/English Literature/English Language and Literature (grade B for subjects at GCSE Level)
c. English course approved by Senate for fulfilling the University language requirement
(iii) Level 4 of HKDSE English Language
Scholarship applicants are STRONGLY advised to plan early and fulfill the University language requirement in a timely manner.