Simon Yau had practiced building surveying in the Buildings Department and then worked as a Post-doctoral Fellow in the University of Hong Kong before joining City University of Hong Kong in August 2007. In 2012, he also went on academic exchange at the University of Adelaide and the University of Birmingham as a visiting fellow. His research interests include anti-social behaviour in housing, built heritage conservation, building illegality, housing economics, governance of multi-owned properties and urban regeneration. From September 2010 to December 2016, he oversaw the BSocSc (Policy Studies and Administration), BSocSc (Administration and Public Management) and MA (Housing Studies) programmes in the capacity of Programme Director successively. Besides, he was a member of the Departmental Executive Committee between August 2010 and December 2016. Now, he is the Associate Major Director of the BSocSc (Public Policy and Politics) prgoramme. Outside the University, he is actively involved in different community services including
- Member of the Appeal Tribunal Panel (Buildings);
- Member of the Building Committee, Society of Rehabilitation and Crime Prevention;
- Member of the Working Group on Social Housing Operation and Services, Community Housing Movement, Hong Kong Council of Social Service; and
- Juror for the Quality Property and Facility Management Award.
Over the years, he won different awards including
- Best Paper Award at the 1st Asian Social Sciences and Business Research Conference;
- Emerald 2016 Literati Award
- American Society of Civil Engineers 2017 Outstanding Reviewer Award;
- American Society of Civil Engineers 2016 Outstanding Reviewer Award;
- American Society of Civil Engineers 2015 Outstanding Reviewer Award;
- American Society of Civil Engineers 2014 Outstanding Reviewer Award;
- Best Conference Paper Award in the Pacific Rim Real Estate Society Conference 2013;
- Li Ka Shing Prize 2007; and
- Hong Kong Institute of Architects Annual Awards 2006 (Architectural Research).
For more details of Simon Yau's work, please refer to Google Scholar Citations or LinkedIn.