Prof. WANG, Zuankai
BS(JLU), MS(CAS), PhD(RPI), Postdoc(Columbia)
Associate Dean (Internationalization & Industry Engagement), College of Engineering
- Fluid dynamics
- Nature-inspired engineering
- Soft matter
- Postdoc in Biomedical Engineering—Columbia University, US, 2009
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering -- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, US, 2008
- M.S. in Microelectronics -- Shanghai Institute of Microsystem and Information Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, 2003
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering -- Jilin University, China, 2000
- Full Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, City University of Hong Kong, 07/ 2018 ~ present.
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, City University of Hong Kong, 07/ 2014 ~ 06/2018.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, City University of Hong Kong, 07/2011 ~ 06/2014.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management, City University of Hong Kong, 09/2009 ~ 06/2011.
Awards & Honours
For Academics and Research
- Fellow of International Society of Bionic Engineering, 2019.
- Top 10 Research Achievement Award in China Robot Society (No.1), 2019 Annual Conference of China Robot Industry, 2019.
- The 35th World Cultural Council Special Recognition Award, 2018.
- President Lectureship, City University of Hong Kong, 2018.
- Founding Member of Young Academy of Science of Hong Kong, 2017.
- Changjiang Chair Professor, Ministry of Education, China, 2017.
- Outstanding Research Award (Senior Category), City University of Hong Kong, 2017.
- President’s Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2017.
- Outstanding Youth Award, International Society of Bionic Engineering (two awardees worldwide every three years), 2016.
- OSA Young Scientist Award, 2016.
- President’s Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2016.
- “Future Leaders” selected by the New York Academy of Sciences and Science and Technology in Society Forum, 2013.
- Outstanding Overseas Students Award, Ministry of Education of China, 2007.
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Graduate Student Silver Award, 2007.
For Training and Teaching
- Best Poster Award (Minjie Liu), 1st International Conference on Nature-inspired Surface Engineering, US, 2019.
- Outstanding Supervisor Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2018.
- Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Outstanding Doctoral Research Award (Jing Li), City University of Hong Kong, 2018.
- First Prize, 1st Bionic Innovation Competition, International Society of Bionic Engineering (ISBE), 2018 (Ph.D. student, Jiaqian Li).
- Outstanding Supervisor Award, City University of Hong Kong, 2017.
- Young 1000 Talent Award (Ph.D. graduates, Xuemei Chen and Yahua Liu), 2017.
- MRS Graduate Student Gold Award (Jing Li), 2016.
- Hiwin Doctoral Dissertation Award (to Dr. Wang and his Ph.D. graduate), Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society, 2016.
- Hong Kong Young Scientist Award, Hong Kong Institution of Sciences (HKIS), 2015 (Dr. Yahua Liu).
- MRS Graduate Student Silver Award (Yahua Liu), 2015.
- Best Paper Award, International Symposium on Optofluidics, August 2013.
- Best Paper Award, International Symposium on Optofluidics, September 2012.
- Editorial Board Member, iScience (Cell Press), since 12/2017.
- Associate Editor, Biosurface and Biotribology, since 07/2017.
- Editorial Board Member, Coatings, since 2017.
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Bionic Engineering (Elsevier), since 2017.
- Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group, since 08/2014).
- Advisory Board Member, Advanced Engineering Materials (Wiley), since 09/2014.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Colloid Science and Biotechnology, since 2013.
- Qiangqiang Sun, Dehui Wang, Yanan Li, Jiahui Zhang, Shuji Ye, Jiaxi Cui, Longquan Chen, Zuankai Wang, Hans-Jürgen Butt, Vollmer Doris, Xu Deng. Surface charge printing for programmed droplet transport. Nature Materials, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41563-019-0440-2 (Corresponding author).
Highlighted by Nature.
- Haojian Lu, Mei Zhang, Yuanyuan Yang, Qiang Huang, Toshio Fukuda, Zuankai Wang, Yajing Shen. A bio-inspired multi-legged millirobot that functions in both dry and wet conditions. Nature Communications, 9, 3944 (2018).
- Yanhua Zhao, Yang Wu, Liang Wang, Manman Zhang, Xuan Chen, Minjie Liu， Jun Fan, Junqiu Liu, Feng Zhou, Zuankai Wang. Bio-inspired reversible underwater adhesive. Nature Communications, 8, 2218 (2017)
- Jiaqian Li, Xiaofeng Zhou, Jing Li, Lufeng Che, Jun Yao, Glen McHale, Manoj Chaudhury, Zuankai Wang. Topological liquid diode, Science Advances, 3, eaao3530 (2017).
Highlighted by Physics Today.
- Binbin He, B. Hu, H.W. Yen, G.J. Cheng, Zuankai Wang, H. W. Luo, Mingxin Huang. High dislocation density induced large ductility in novel deformed and partitioned steels. Science, 357, 1029 (2017).
- William S.Y. Wong, Minfei Li, Vincent S. J. Craig, David R. Nisbet, Zuankai Wang, Antonio Tricoli. Mimosa origami: a nanostructure-enabled directional self-organization regime of materials. Science Advances, 2, e1600417 (2016).
Highlighted by Nature, Self-folding mimosa mimic, 534, 593 (2016).
Highlighted by Nature Physics News & Views, Bio-inspired materials: Drop and fold, 12, 728 (2016).
- Jing Li, Youmin Hou, Yahua Liu, Chonglei Hao, Minfei Li, Manoj Chaudhury, Shuhuai Yao, Zuankai Wang. Directional transport of high temperature Janus droplet mediated by structural topography. Nature Physics, 12, 606-612 (2016).
- Yahua Liu, Matthew Andrew, Jing Li, Julia M Yeomans, Zuankai Wang. Symmetry-breaking in drop bouncing on curved surfaces, Nature Communications, 6, 10034, (2015).
- Chonglei Hao, Jing Li, Yuan Liu, Xiaofeng Zhou, Yahua Liu, Lufeng Che, Wenzhong Zhou, Dong Sun, Lawrence Li, Lei Xu, Zuankai Wang. Superhydrophobic-like tunable droplet bouncing on slippery liquid interfaces. Nature Communications, 6, 7986 (2015).
- Yahua Liu, Lisa Moevius, Xinpeng Xu, Tiezheng Qian, Julia M Yeomans, Zuankai Wang. Pancake bouncing on superhydrophobic surfaces. Nature Physics, 10, 515-519 (2014).
- Xuemei Chen, Ruiyuan Ma, Jintao Li, Chonglei Hao, Wei Guo, B.L.Luk, Shuaicheng Li, Shuhuai Yao, Zuankai Wang. Evaporation of droplets on superhydrophobic surfaces: Surface roughness and small droplet size effects. Physical Review Letters, 109, 116101 (2012).
- Xuemei Chen, Jun Wu, Ruiyuan Ma, Meng Hua, Nikhil Koratkar, Shuhuai Yao, Zuankai Wang. Nanograssed micropyramidal architectures for continuous dropwise condensation. Advanced Functional Materials, 21, 4617 (2011) (Front Cover).
Last modified on 7 August, 2019