||BS in Aerospace Engineering
||Univ. of Southern Cal., USA
||MS in Aerospace Engineering
||Univ. of Southern Cal., USA
||PhD in Aerospace Engineering
|2011 - present
||Dept. of Mechanical and Biomedical Eng.
||City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
|1997 - 2011
||Dept. of Mechanical and Automation Eng.
||The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
|1995 - 1997
||NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
||Pasadena, California, USA
||Silicon Microstructures Inc.
||Fremont, California, USA
|1987 - 1995
||The Aerospace Corporation
||El Segundo, California, USA
(for comprehensive list see www.wenjungli.org)
- President-Elect, IEEE Nanotechnology Council (2015; to serve as President in 2016 and 2017)
- IEEE NTC Distinguished Lecturer (2014/2015)
- 1000 Talents Awardee, Zhejiang Province (浙江省千人計劃), 2012
- ASME Fellow, elected in October 2011
- IEEE Fellow, elected in November 2010
- 100 Talents Awardee (百人計劃; Distinguished Overseas Scholar), Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2004
- VP of IEEE Nanotechnology Council, elected in 2010 (to serve 2011-2013 term)
- General Chair, 2014 IEEE Int. Conf. on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems, Hawaii, USA
- General Chair, 2007 IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology, Hong Kong, HKSAR
- General Chair, 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, Hong Kong, HKSAR
- Vice-Chancellor’s Exemplary Teaching Award 2006, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Winner, Best Conference Video Award, 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE-ROBIO 2011), Phuket, Thailand.
- Winner, Best Student Paper, 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE-ROBIO 2007), Sanya, China.
- Winner, Best Conference Paper, 2007 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Mechatronics (IEEE/ASME AIM 2007), Zurich, Switzerland.
- Winner, Best Conference Paper, Finalist, Best Student Paper; Finalist, Ben Wegbreit Best Manipulation Paper; at the 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (IEEE-ICRA 2003), Taipei, Taiwan.
Other Academic Affiliations
- Affiliated Professor, Shenyang Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2006-present.
- Adjunct Professor, Suzhou University, 2013-present.
- Adjunct Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2011-2014.
- Adjunct Professor, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Dept. of Health Technology and Informatics), Sept 2008 to June 2010.
- Guest Professor, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2009-present.
- Guest Professor, Peking University, 2008-present.
- Guest Professor, Beijing Institute of Technology, 2006 to 2008.
(for comprehensive list see www.wenjungli.org)
- Co-chair of Advisory Board, IEEE Nanotechnology Magazine, 2014-present.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Micro-Bio Robotics, Springer, USA/Germany, 2012-present.
- Member of Editorial Board, Micromachines, MDPI, Switzerland, an open access journal, 2011 to present.
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Nanotechnology Magazine, 2007-2013.
Recent Research Grants
(For comprehensive list see www.wenjungli.org)
- Principal Investigator, NSFC/RGC Joint Research Scheme: “Programmable and Integrated Fabrication of Nano-material Devices by Optically-Induced Force Field”, Project Number: N_CityU132/14, HK$852,950, Jan 2015-Dec 2018.
- Principal Investigator, Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Fund – University-Industry Collaboration Programme (Matching Grant for Joint Research Scheme): “A Pen-sized Biocompatible MEMS Atomizer for Aromatherapy and Wellbeing Applications”, Project Number: UM/263 (9440121), HK$1,283,365 (HK$640,550 from ITC; HK$641,700 from private company), Nov 2014-Oct 2016.
- Principle Investigator, Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Fund (Tier 3): “Green Motion Sensors: Graphene-based Eco-Friendly Micro Accelerometers”, Hong Kong Innovation Technology Fund (ITS/143/13), HK$968,300 (ITC) +$50,000 (Sengital Ltd.), Dec 2013 to May 2015.
- Principle Investigator, Hong Kong General Research Fund (RGC): “Rapid Separation of B-Lymphoma and Red Blood Cells by Optically-Induced Electrokinetics”, HK$860,000 (CityU Project Code: 118513), Jan 1 2014 to Dec 31, 2015.
- Principal Investigator, CAS-Croucher Funding Scheme for Joint Laboratories: “Bio-manipulation and Bio-marking by Optically-induced Electrokinetics”, Project Number: 9500011, HK$1,000,000, 2012-2015.
- Principal Investigator, Hong Kong General Research Fund (RGC): “Automated Fabrication of Bio-Polymer Structures by Optically-Induced Dielectrophoresis”, Project Number: CityU 116912, HK$905,425, 2012-2014.
(For full publication list, please visit: http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=22F6Eq4AAAAJ&view_op=list_works)
- Feifei Wang, Pan Li, Dong Wang, Longhai Li, Shuangxi Xie, Lianqing Liu, Yuechao Wang, and Wen Jung Li, “Mechanically Modulated Dewetting by Atomic Force Microscope for Micro- and Nano- Droplet Array Fabrication”. Scientific Reports, September 2014, SREP-14-04751.
- Yuliang Zhao, Hok Sum Sam Lai, Guanglie Zhang, Gwo-Bin Leeb and Wen Jung Li, “Rapid determination of cell mass and density using digitally controlled electric field in a microfluidic chip”. Lab on a Chip, September 2014, DOI: 10.1039/C4LC00795F.
- Wang, F., F. Fei, L. Liu, H. Yu, P. Yu, Y. Wang, G.-B. Lee, and Li, W. J., “Exploring pulse-voltage-triggered optically induced electrohydrodynamic instability for femtolitre droplet generation”. Applied Physics Letters, 2014. 104(26): p. 264103.
- Wang, C.H., Y.H. Lee, H.T. Kuo, W.F. Liang, W.J. Li, and G.B. Lee, “Dielectrophoretically-assisted electroporation using light-activated virtual microelectrodes for multiple DNA transfection”. Lab on a Chip, 2014. 14(3): p. 592-601.
- Liu, N., W. Liang, L. Liu, Y. Wang, J.D. Mai, G.B. Lee, and W.J. Li, “Extracellular-controlled breast cancer cell formation and growth using non-UV patterned hydrogels via optically-induced electrokinetics”. Lab on a Chip, 2014. 14(7): p. 1367-76.
- N. Liu, W. F. Liang, J. D. Mai, L. Q. Liu, G. B. Lee, and W. J. Li, “Rapid Fabrication of Nanomaterial Electrodes Using Digitally-Controlled Electrokinetics”, IEEE Trans. on Nanotechnology 13 (2), 245-253.
- Liang, W., Y. Zhao, L. Liu, Y. Wang, Z. Dong, W.J. Li, G.B. Lee, X. Xiao, and W. Zhang, “Rapid and label-free separation of Burkitt's lymphoma cells from red blood cells by optically-induced electrokinetics”. PLoS One, 2014. 9(3): p. e90827.
- S. L. Zhou, F. Fei, G. L. Zhang, J. D. Mai, Y. H. Liu, J. Y. J. Liou, and W. J. Li, “2D Human Gesture Tracking and Recognition by the Fusion of MEMS Inertial and Vision Sensors”, IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 14, No. 4, November 2013. (1 of 25 most downloaded IEEE Sensors Journal papers in the months of March and June of 2014 of the IEEE Sensor Journal since its inception in 2001, i.e., out of more than 1000 papers.)
- Xu, R.Z., S.L. Zhou, and W.J. Li, “MEMS Accelerometer Based Nonspecific-User Hand Gesture Recognition”. IEEE Sensors Journal, 2012. 12(5): p. 1166-1173. (1 of top 25 most downloaded papers in April, May, June, July and September of 2012 of the IEEE Sensor Journal since its inception in 2001, i.e., out of more than 1000 papers.)
- Ouyang, M., W.J. Li, P.H.W. Leong, and K.W. Wong, “Improving Carbon Nanotubes Sensor Time Response and Responsivity Using Constant-Power Activation”. IEEE Tran. on Nanotechnology, 2012. 11(3): p. 624-632.
- Fei, F., J.D. Mai, and W.J. Li, “A wind-flutter energy converter for powering wireless sensors”, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 2012. 173(1): p. 163-171.
- Winnie, W.Y.C., Y.L. Qu, W.J. Li, and C.H.T. Steve, “Integrated SWCNT sensors in micro-wind tunnel for air-flow shear-stress measurement”. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 2010. 8: p. 631-640.
- Dong, Z.X., U.C. Wejinya, and W.J. Li, “An Optical-Tracking Calibration Method for MEMS-Based Digital Writing Instrument”. IEEE Sensors Journal, 2010. 10(10): p. 1543-1551.
- Bai, H.L., W.J. Li, W. Chow, and Y. Zhou, “A carbon nanotube sensor for wall shear stress measurement”. Experiments in Fluids, 2010. 48(4): p. 679-691.
- Peng Xiao, Wen J. Li, and Ruxu Du, “Micro Bubble Generation Using Carbon Nanotubes Heating Elements”, IEEE Trans. on Nanotechnology, vol. 99, doi: 10.1109/TNANO.2010.2050004, May 17, 2010. (Featured on the cover of IEEE Trans. on Nanotechnology.)
- S. C. L. Yuen, J. M. H. Lee, W. J. Li and Philip H. W. Leong, “An AA-sized vibration-based microgenerator for wireless sensors”, IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 6, pp. 64-72, 2007. (2 journal and 1 conference papers related to this work has been collectively cited ~300 times.)
- Winnie W. Y. Chow, K. F. Lei, G. Y. Shi, W. J. Li, and Q. Huang, “Microfluidic channel fabrication by PDMS-interface bonding”, Journal of Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 15, pp. 112-116, August 2006. (Downloaded over 500 times in 2006 -- top 3% of all papers published by the Journal of Smart Materials and Structures Institute of Physics at that time.)
- Rosa H. M. Chan, Carmen K. M. Fung and W. J. Li, “Rapid assembly of carbon nanotubes for nanosensing by dielectrophoretic force”, Nanotechnology, vol. 15, pp. 672-677, 2004. (Downloaded over 250 times within 2 months of publication in 2004 -- top 10% of all articles published by Nanotechnology, Institute of Physics.)
- Carmen K. M. Fung, Victor T. S. Wong, Rosa H. M. Chan and W. J. Li, “Dielectrophoretic batch fabrication of bundled carbon nanotube thermal sensors”, IEEE Trans. on Nanotechnology, vol. 3, pp. 395-403, 2004.
- W. L. Zhou, H. Y. Chan, Tony K. H. To, King W. C. Lai and W. J. Li, “Polymer MEMS actuators for underwater micromanipulation”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 9, pp. 334-342, 2004.
Representative Conference Papers
- Haibo Yu, Zaili Dong, Wen Jung Li, Sascha Hermann, Stefan E. Schulz, “Controllable Assembly of SWCNTs Using Dielectrophoresis Based on a Microchannel”, 2012 International Conference on Manipulation, Manufacturing and Measurement on the Nanoscale (3M-NANO), Xi’an, China. (Winner, Best Student Paper.)
- Shue Wang, Wenfeng Liang, Yanli Qu, Zaili Dong, Gwo-Bin Lee and Wen J. Li, “Towards Automated Micro-/Nano-scale Manipulation, Separation, Assembly, and Fabrication by Optically-Induced Dielectrophoresis”, Proc. of 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE-ROBIO 2011), pp. 2403-2404, Phuket, Thailand, Dec. 2011. (Winner, Best Conference Video Award.)
- G. Y. Shi, C. S. Chan, G. L. Zhang, W. J. Li, Philip H. W. Leong and K. S. Leung. “Towards a mobile airbag system using MEMS sensors and embedded intelligence,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, (IEEE-ROBIO 2007), pp. 634-639, Sanya, China, Dec. 2007. (Winner, Best Student Paper.)
- F. C. Chung and W. J. Li. “Experimental studies and parametric modeling of ionic flyers,” Prof. of 2007 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, AIM, Zurich, Switzerland, 2007. (Winner, Best Conference Paper.)
- Ho-Yin Chan and Wen J. Li, “A thermally actuated polymer micro robotic gripper for manipulation of biological cells”, Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA'03), Vol. 1, pp. 288-293, September 2003. (Winner, Best Conference Paper; Finalist, Best Student Paper; Finalist, Ben Wegbreit Best Manipulation Paper.)
- W. C. Lai and Wen J. Li, “Automated Micro-Assembly of Surface MEMS Mirrors by Centrifugal Force”, Proc. of International Conference on Intelligent Mechatronics and Automation 2004, Chengdu, China, August 2004. (Winner, Best Conference Paper.)
- Carmen KM Fung, Victor TS Wong, and Wen J. Li, “Towards Batch Fabrication of Bundled Carbon Nanotube Thermal Sensors”, 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. on Nanotechnology (IEEE-NANO 2003), San Francisco, USA, August 2003. (Winner, Best Student Poster Paper.)
- Carmen K. M. Fung, King W. C. Lai, Wen J. Li, Y. H. Liu, Imad Elhajj, and Ning Xi, “Sensing and Action in Micro Environment via Internet”, Proc. of 2000 Int. Conf.e on Information Society in the 21st Century (IS2000), Japan, November 2000 (Winner, Best Student Paper.)
Last modified on 4 November, 2014