||BS in Aerospace Engineering
||MS in Aerospace Engineering
||PhD in Aerospace Engineering
||Post-doctoral Fellow, School of Medicine
||Stanford University, USA
||Electronics & Optoelectronics Labs, ITRI
||Pasadena, CA, USA
||Center for Aerospace Systems Technology, ITRI
||Microwave Bonding Instruments
||Altadena, CA, USA
||Jet Propulsion Lab (NASA/Caltech)
||Pasadena, CA, USA
Selected Research Grants and Contracts
- Principal Investigator on a "Contract Service for the Development & Assembly of Prototype Systems that can Detect Cancer in Clinical Trials." Industrial Technology Research Institute, Taiwan, 2011-2012.
- Dean's Fellowship for "A Biochip for Rapid Diagnosis of Urinary Tract Infections," Stanford University School of Medicine, USA. 2006-2007.
- Principal Investigator on "Prototype Development of a Micro-Klystron Amplifier," Department of Defense Contract# FA8650-04-M-1634. USA. 2004.
- Principal Investigator on "Microwave-assisted Packaging Platform for RF MEMS Switches," DoD Contract# FA9453-04-C-0219. USA. 2004.
- Principal Investigator on "Heat Dissipation Foundation for High Performance Microelectronic Cooling," National Science Foundation Award# 0339431. USA. 2004.
- Principal Investigator on "Cold Cathode Design for Miniature Traveling Wave Tube Amplifiers," DoD Contract# F29601-02-C-0078. USA. 2002.
- IEEE Senior Member (2010)
- Co-inventor on 6 issued US Patents (8,074,260; 7,651,025; 7,568,211; 7,385,512; 6,905,945; 6,809,305)
- Organizing Chair of the 2012 IEEE Nanotechnology Materials and Devices Conference.
- Finance Chair of the 2012 IEEE International Conference on Nano/Molecular Medicine and Engineering.
||Technology Transfer to Commercialization for Engineers
||From Small Inventions to Big Successes
- Y Chen, P Li, PH Huang, Y Xie, JD Mai, L Wang, NT Nguyen, TJ Huang, "Rare cell isolation and analysis in microfluidics", Lab on a Chip 14 (4), 626-645. 2014.
- C Zhao, Y Xie, Z Mao, Y Zhao, J Rufo, S Yang, F Guo, JD Mai, TJ Huang, "Theory and experiment on particle trapping and manipulation via optothermally generated bubbles", Lab on a Chip 14 (2), 384-391. 2014.
- F Wang, H Yu, N Liu, JD Mai, L Liu, GB Lee, WJ Li, "Non-ultraviolet-based patterning of polymer structures by optically induced electrohydrodynamic instability", Applied Physics Letters 103 (21), 214101.
- KJ Huang, SJ Qin, ZC Bai, X Zhang, JD Mai, "Entropy-based separation of yeast cells using a microfluidic system of conjoined spheres", Journal of Applied Physics 114 (19), 194702 2013.
- CY Chan, PH Huang, F Guo, X Ding, V Kapur, JD Mai, PK Yuen, "Accelerating drug discovery via organs-on-chips", Lab on a Chip 13 (24), 4697-4710
- Y Zhao, W Liang, G Zhang, JD Mai, L Liu, GB Lee, WJ Li, "Distinguishing cells by their first-order transient motion response under an optically induced dielectrophoretic force field", Applied Physics Letters 103 (18), 183702.
- N Liu, W Liang, L Liu, Y Wang, JD Mai, GB Lee, WJ Li, "Extracellular-controlled Breast Cancer Cell Formation and Growth Using Non-UV Patterned Hydrogels via Optically-induced Electrokinetics", Lab on a Chip 2013 DOI: 10.1039/C3LC51247A.
- M Ouyang, WK Cheung, W Liang, JD Mai, WK Liu, WJ Li, "Inducing self-rotation of cells with natural and artificial melanin in a linearly polarized alternating current electric field", Biomicrofluidics 7 (5), 054112 2013.
- F Wang, H Yu, W Liang, L Liu, JD Mai, GB Lee, WJ Li, "Optically induced electrohydrodynamic instability-based micro-patterning of fluidic thin films", Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 1-10 October 2013.
- W Liang, N Liu, Z Dong, L Liu, JD Mai, GB Lee, WJ Li, "Simultaneous separation and concentration of micro- and nano-particles by optically-induced electrokinetics", Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. 193, pp.103-111, 15 April 2013. DOI 10.1016/j.sna.2013.01.020.
- CM Chang, WH Chang, CH Wang, JH Wang, JD Mai, GB Lee, "Nucleic acid amplification using microfluidic systems", Lab on a Chip. Jan 2013. DOI 10.1039/C3LC41097H.
- HQ Chu, GM Wu, JM Chen, F Fei, JD Mai, WJ Li, "Design and simulation of self-powered radio frequency identification (RFID) tags for mobile temperature monitoring", Science China Technological Sciences, 1-7, Jan 2013. DOI 10.1007/s11431-012-5050-z.
- G Zhang, M Ouyang, JD Mai, WJ Li, WK Liu, "Automated Rotation Rate Tracking of Pigmented Cells by a Customized Block-Matching Algorithm", JALA, Nov 2012. DOI 10.1177/2211068212468582.
- Siu Ling Leung, Minglin Li, Wen J. Li, John D. Mai, "Gold nano-particle-based thermal sensors fabricated using microspotting and DEP techniques", Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Volume 178, May 2012, Pages 32-39, ISSN 0924-4247, 10.1016/j.sna.2012.01.046.
- J.D.H. Mai, J.K. Breaux, "A software-based networking solution for chemical and biological sensors", Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered & Molecular Systems (IEEE NEMS), 2011. Pages 1172-1175. DOI 10.1109/NEMS.2011.6017565.
- Mai, J., Gaster, R. E., Wu, A., Gu, W., Mach, K. E., Liao, J. C. "A microfluidic system for rapid bacterial pathogen detection", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology. 2007. 7: p. 651; DOI 10.1109/NANO.2007.4601428.
- M.M.W.Chang, M.T.M Deng, J.T.J. Gwo, J.D. Mai, E. Hsu, "Polymer-based capacitive micromachined ultrasonic transducers (CMUT) for micro surgical imaging applications", Proc. IEEE NEMS, 2006. Pages 61-65; DOI 10.1109/NEMS.2006.334622.
- Wen J. Li, John D. Mai, Chih-Ming Ho, "Sensors and actuators on non-planar substrates", Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Volume 73, Issues 1–2, 9 March 1999, Pages 80-88; DOI 10.1016/S0924-4247(98)00258-1.
- N.K. Budraa, H.W. Jackson, M. Barmatz, W.T. Pike, J.D. Mai, "Low pressure and low temperature hermetic wafer bonding using microwave heating", IEEE Intl. Conf. on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, pp. 490-492, Orlando, USA, Jan. 1999.
Last modified on 27 February, 2014