Student Visa / Entry Permit
Anyone who wants to study at City University of Hong Kong, and does not have the right of abode or the right to land in Hong Kong, must obtain a student visa or entry permit from the Hong Kong Immigration Department.
A local sponsor is required for a student visa or entry permit application. The local sponsor can be a Hong Kong resident who is at least 18 years old or the University.
The University will usually act as a student's local sponsor if an applicant is accepted by the University to do one of the following:
- Take up full-time studies for an undergraduate degree or at the postgraduate level
- Study full-time at the undergraduate or postgraduate level for not more than one year as an exchange student
- Study full-time at the undergraduate or postgraduate level on a short-term basis for a total of not more than 180 days within any 12-month period (excluding studies at the School of Continuing and Professional Education)
- Take up part-time studies in taught postgraduate programmes
Further details can be obtained from the Hong Kong Immigration Department.
Additional information you need to know
How to Apply for a Student Visa or Entry Permit through the University
Students who wish to seek visa sponsorship from the University should complete and submit the Request for Visa Sponsorship & Student's Agreement via the following link specific to your programme –
After submitting the request, students should provide the required documents (see the information in the sections “Send Original Documents” and “Send Photocopies Only” below) to the Global Services Office (GSO). As the visa/entry permit application processing may take 8 weeks or even longer, please file your application early.
|Global Services Office|
|Room 3210, 3/F, Cheng Yick-chi Building|
|City University of Hong Kong|
|Tat Chee Avenue|
|Hong Kong SAR|
Original Documents Required
- Hong Kong Immigration Department form ID995A – Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong, with all relevant parts completed and signed by the applicant. (Please read the Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong carefully before filling in the application form. A recent photograph of the applicant should be affixed to page 2 of the form.)
- If an applicant is under the age of 18, enclose a Letter of Consent to name a guardian in Hong Kong for the applicant. The Letter of Consent should be completed and signed by the applicant's mother or father. (The guardian can be the University or a relative or friend who is at least 18 years old and lives in Hong Kong.)
- A Request for Visa Sponsorship and Student's Agreement, completed and signed by the applicant
- A printed acknowledgement of the Request for Visa Sponsorship and Student's Agreement; and
- If the applicant is financially sponsored by another person, provide a Declaration by Financial Sponsor completed and signed by the sponsor. The Declaration should clearly state the sponsor's relationship with the applicant and that he/she undertakes to financially support the applicant's study and living in Hong Kong
- The travel document / identity card containing the applicant's personal particulars
- The letter of admission issued by the University. (Bring the original letter with you as you may be asked to produce the letter for inspection at the immigration checkpoint when entering Hong Kong.)
- An acknowledgement of the applicant's acceptance of the admission offer (not applicable to exchange students)
- If you are under the age of 18, enclose a photocopy of a proof of your accommodation arrangement in Hong Kong. If you are eligible* and have already applied for the University’s Student Residence, write down Student Residence, City University of Hong Kong, Cornwall Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong in the Form ID995A as your residential address in Hong Kong; for applicants who live off campus, please write your Hong Kong address in the Form ID995A (item 6(ii) on page 3) and provide the proof of address, e.g. copy of the lease agreement;
* You are eligible to apply for the University's Student Residence if you are (also refer to Housing Eligibility):
a.Full-time Students in Government funded Bachelor’s Degree Programmes
b.Full-time Incoming Bachelor’s Degree Exchange Students (with established agreements on student exchange with the university)
c. Full-time Postgraduate Students studying in Government funded programmes within normal period.
Students who are not in any of the aforementioned categories may contact Student Residence Office or their respective home college/school/department for further enquiry about on-campus housing eligibility.
- Financial documents under the name of the applicant, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbook, scholarship award notification, etc. If the applicant is financially sponsored by another party, provide the sponsor's financial statements, e.g. proof of deposit, proof of income, tax receipts. (Do not send original documents to the University as, once submitted, they are non-returnable.)
- For mainland residents with an Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao 《因私/因公往來港澳通行證》, the page with applicant's personal particulars
- For Macao residents, the applicant's Macao identity card
- For Taiwan residents, the applicant's household registration in Taiwan (戶籍謄本) and Taiwan identity card
A payment of HK$500 is required. The fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. Payment can be made by enclosing a bank draft payable to "City University of Hong Kong" or by fill in the payment section of the Request for Visa Sponsorship and Student's Agreement authorise credit card transaction. Only Visa and MasterCard will be accepted..
What Happens Next
After receiving the full and complete set of visa appliaction and payment, the University will issue a form ID995B – Application for Entry for Study (Sponsor) in Hong Kong and forward the applicant's student visa or entry permit application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for processing.
When a student visa or entry permit is granted, the University will collect a self-adhesive student visa or entry permit label from the Immigration Department and send it to the address provided in the applicant's Request for Visa Sponsorship and Student's Agreement. Affix the visa label to a blank page of your passport.
Applicants who are permanent residents of the mainland of China will receive an entry permit label. With the entry permit, you will be able to apply for an Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao (EEP) and an exit endorsement from the Public Security Bureau. The entry permit label should be affixed to a blank endorsement page of the EEP.
Student Visa/Entry Permit Validation
Student visas and entry permits must be validated on entry to Hong Kong. It is important to present the visa or entry permit to the officer-on-duty at the immigration checkpoint.
- The University will process a student visa or entry permit application only if all the required documents and payment are received.
- The Hong Kong Immigration Department may request additional information and documents while processing a student visa or entry permit application.
- Student visa and entry permit holders are subject to the following conditions of stay:
- You must attend the educational institution and undertake the programme or course of study as named in the letter of admission issued by the University
- You must not take up any employment, whether paid or unpaid, or establish or join any business, unless you have secured prior approval of the Immigration Department (see Part-time Work & Internship)
- It is the student's sole responsibility to:
- obtain a valid student visa or entry permit before entering Hong Kong
- maintain a valid travel document and a valid student visa or entry permit
- meet all immigration requirements and regulations
- comply with the terms and conditions of the student visa or entry permit while studying at the University
- The University reserves the right to withdraw its sponsorship and report to the Hong Kong Immigration Department if a student's study or enrolment status at the University changes