Senior Scientific Officer in the Computing Services Centre [Ref. D/215/09]
The Computing Services Centre (CSC) is responsible for the provision, management, and support of University IT infrastructure and provides end user IT support with about 100 staff and contractors. The CSC is looking for a Senior Scientific Officer to work in the Data Centre Services Section to oversee the High Performance Computing (HPC). The appointee will have chance to work with institutions over the world for national or regional wide initiatives.
- Plan, design and setup a large scale HPC cluster for shared usages by faculty and researchers from different academic departments;
- Serve as the Secretary for the University’s Academic Higher Performance Committee Working Group;
- Draft HPC-related hosting, lifecycle, and fair usage policies for the University-wide adoption;
- Provide technical assistance and consultation to faculty, researchers, students, and technical staff on the use of the HPC platforms;
- Work under Data Centre Services Section on the administration, integration and maintenance of HPC systems, as well as other systems and peripherals (including advanced filesystems, enterprise storage systems, visualization environments, and networks);
- Perform system performance analysis, modelling, and benchmarks;
- Ensure the HPC cluster is efficiently used and operated at optimal performance and reliability levels;
- Keep abreast of the latest HPC related technologies and development, and promote the HPC facilities to the academic community;
- Work with users and other computational professionals in acquiring user requirements, debugging and optimizing scientific software and libraries, configuring computational resources to suit their needs; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s degree in related disciplines, with 5 years’ relevant experience;
- Good working knowledge of HPC scheduler, operating systems, scalable and parallel architectures; Linux operating system; and one or more scripting languages (e.g. csh, Bash, Awk, perl, and Python);
- Knowledge of advanced data storage technologies and high-speed network interfaces; and one or more high-level programming languages (e.g. C, C++, Fortran, MPI, OpenMP); knowledge of GPU programming would be an advantage;
- Ability to contribute to the development of technical design decisions involving software or hardware implementation strategies; as well as monitoring system usage and performance statistics, and understanding the impacts of operating system tuning parameters;
- Sound knowledge of network security, and skills in the installation and configuration of operating systems and applications software;
- Ability to assist in gathering user requirements, planning and designing computer systems, as well as establishing methods and procedures for the integration, testing and installation of system modifications;
- Ability to analyze requirements and determine computational resource impacts as well as complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions;
- Ability to parallelize jobs and run computation effectively and efficiently using GPU & CPU;
- Being reliable, self-motivated and detail-oriented with strong communication, analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills;
- Good command of written and spoken English and Chinese; and
- Ability to work independently and under pressure.
Candidates holding a Degree or with less experience may be considered for appointment as Scientific Officer/Assistant Scientific Officer.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a written test.
(Those who have responded to the previous advertisements need not re-apply.)
Salary and Conditions of Service
Remuneration package will be highly competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Initial appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract; fringe benefits include gratuity, leave, medical and dental schemes.
Information and Application
Further information on the post and the University is available at http://www.cityu.edu.hk, or from the Human Resources Office, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong [Email : firstname.lastname@example.org/Fax : 2788 1154 or 3442 0311].
City University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to the principle of diversity. Personal data provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes.
Worldwide recognition ranking 52nd, and 4th among top 50 universities under age 50 (QS survey 2020); 1st in Engineering/Technology/Computer Sciences in Hong Kong (ARWU survey 2016); and 2nd Business School in Asia-Pacific region (UT Dallas survey 2017).