Checklist for Outbound Exchange Students

  1. If you don't have a passport (or a Home Visit Permit for the mainland), apply for one
  2. If you have a passport, make sure it will be valid for at least six months after the end of your journey
  3. Find out if you need a visa and apply for one if you do
  4. Make accommodation arrangements
  5. Book your air or train ticket
  6. Confirm your study plan with your host university and home department
  7. Get a medical check-up if you need one
  8. Obtain travel and medical insurance
  9. Leave your insurance policy with a family member and keep a copy with you during your exchange
  10. Pay or arrange for someone to pay your CityU tuition fee while you are away
  11. Take a credit card with you
  12. Obtain any electrical adaptors you will need
  13. Send your arrival schedule to your host university
  14. Check the orientation schedule of your host university
  15. Carry a map of the city that you are going to
  16. Plan your route from the airport or train station to your host university
  17. Pack:
    • Your passport, with any visa attached, in your hand-carried luggage
    • Your air or train ticket
    • The admission letter issued by your host university
    • A copy of your insurance policy
    • Any medication prescribed by your doctor (preferably with a letter from the doctor)
    • Some cash for your initial expenses
    • A jacket or coat in your hand-carried luggage, in case it's cold where you're going or on the way
    • A list of telephone numbers such as contact numbers for your host university, the nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate General and your insurance company

China Embassies / Consulates General worldwide