Accommodation for Non-local Students

On-campus Accommodation

The Student Residence provides on-campus accommodation for almost 3,700 students. Most of the residence halls cluster at Cornwall Street, forming a complex of student dormitories about 10 minutes away from main campus on foot. In addition to the Student Residence at Cornwall Street, Jockey Club House on the main campus also provides accommodation for students.

Due to keen competition and limited number of student residences, accommodation at Student Residence is not guaranteed. For allocation criteria, please refer to the website of Student Residence Office (SRO).

Application for Student Residence should be made to the SRO by the application deadlines specified below. Late applications will not be considered unless a vacancy is available.

For students who are admitted to Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine programme, please refer to for accommodation details.

1. Application Period & Methods (Academic Year 2018–19)

New Students (Undergraduate and Exchange Students)

Semester A
Housing Term: 27 August 2018 - 28 December 2018
Application Deadline: 15 May 2018 (For exchange Students)
31 May 2018 (For international undergraduate students and mainland students via direct application route)
29 July 2018 (For undergraduate students from mainland China via NUEE)
Application Method: Exchange students: apply for student residence at the same time when they submit online application for CityU exchange programme
Undergraduate students: Apply for the student residence via this page
Semester B
Housing Term: 7 January 2019 – 27 May 2019
Application Deadline: 15 October 2018
Application Method: Exchange students should apply for student residence at the same time that they submit their online application for a CityU exchange programme. For other students, please contact SRO.

Current Students

Current students will receive an email notification between March and April every year from the SRO inviting them to apply for Student Residence. Applications can be processed via the Administrative Information Management System (AIMS).

Research Postgraduate Students

Housing Term: 31 August 2018 – 16 August 2019
Application Deadline: 18 April 2018 – 15 May 2018
Application Method: Students should make their application online via AIMS.

2. Residence Fees for 2018–19

Double Room: HK$6,100 per semester, per person
Single Room: HK$12,200 per semester, per person
3-person Apartment: HK$8,200 per semester, per person

Exchange Students (Undergraduate Level)
Double Room: HK$7,300 per semester, per person
Single Room: HK$14,600 per semester, per person
3-person Apartment: HK$9,850 per semester, per person

Fee varies from HK$2,350 to HK$3,750 per month, per person

Payment Schedule
An all-in-one payment notice breaking down residence rental and other university fees will be sent to students within one month after enrolment. Please settle your residence fee by the due date to avoid penalties.

Enquiry on Application for Student Residence
Tel: (852) 3442 1111
Fax: (852) 2794 7716

Email: (undergraduate & other students) (postgraduate students) (general enquiry) (off-campus accommodation) (students admitted to Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine)

3. Facilities at the Student Residence

CityU Student Residence comprises 11 blocks of residence halls at the Cornwall Street complex and a Jockey Club House in the Academic Exchange Building on main campus. The basic facilities in each room include:

  • Magnetic key-card door system
  • Window-type air conditioner with meter
  • IP phone and network connection
  • A washroom shared by residents of two neighbouring rooms
  • Writing desk, chair, lamp, bookshelf, wall-mounted whiteboard, pedestal, wardrobe and rubbish bin
  • Single bed with mattress and mattress pad

Common facilities include:

  • A common room on most floors, with basic cooking facilities and home furniture for floor gatherings
  • A function room on the ground floor of each hall for social events, meetings and a variety of resident programmes
  • A piano room on the ground floor of each hall
  • A computer room with printing services on the ground floor of each hall
  • A laundry room in each hall with washers and dryers (irons provided at no cost when needed)
  • Three multi-function halls in the Student Residence
  • Free Wi-Fi in the ground area of the Student Residence
  • A vacuum cleaner, ironing board and iron that can be borrowed from the security on the ground floor of each residence

Off-campus Accommodation

Living on an upbeat note in a ‘24-7’ city like Hong Kong can be a life changing experience! As the housing market is always booming, students should search for accommodation outside campus as early as possible.

Please visit Off-campus Accommodation page or contact the Student Residence Office (SRO) for assistance in seeking off-campus accommodation.

Tel: (852) 3442 1111
Fax: (852) 2794 7716

If you need to find a place to stay temporarily, before taking out a lease on a flat, click here to browse through the list of licensed hotels and guesthouses and youth hostels in Hong Kong. Note that Hong Kong law requires that guesthouses and youth hostels obtain a license issued by the Office of Licensing Authority (OLA) under the Home Affairs Department before commencing business. It is always in your best interests to stay exclusively at guesthouses and youth hostels that are licensed and monitored by the government. To identify licensed guesthouses, look for the OLA logo.

Off-campus Peer Support Ambassadors (OPSA)


Off-campus Peer Support Ambassadors (OPSA) is a new programme launched in 2016/17, aiming to promote student integration through off-campus living experience and build a CityU off-campus community. A team of undergraduate students are recruited and trained to serve as Student Hosts to provide peer support to all incoming exchange students and non-local undergraduate students living off campus. OPSA will proactively reach out to non-local undergraduate and exchange students living out of campus through:

  • Information Sharing
    Living tips, housing options, local community resources, etc.
  • Fun-filled Activities
    Hiking, football, basketball, potluck, social services, festive activities, etc.
  • Networking
    Social gathering

For more details, please visit OPSA website.