What is "Spam"?
"Spam" refers to unsolicited commercial email (UCE), unsolicited bulk email (UBE), or junk mail. Spam most often contains advertisements for services or products.
"Spammers" refer to the senders of spam.
The following are some examples of spam:
- "Get Rich Quick" or "Make Money Fast" schemes
- Foreign bank scams or advance fee fraud schemes
- Pyramid schemes, including multilevel marketing
- Offers of Mortgage loans
- Offers of Credit Cards or credit reparation
- Health products and remedies (e.g Viagra, Cialis)
- Pornographic materials, e.g. sex web sites
- Offers of s/w for collecting email addr and sending UCE
- Offers of bulk emailing services for sending UCE
Return to University In-house Email Service FAQ page