Best practice to prevent computer virus
- Install Anti-virus software with up-to-dated virus signature file, e.g. goto McAfee, AVG, etc., to get a trial version or get the latest copy of stinger.exe from McAfee http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ to scan your system.
- Always remain vigilant and never open a suspicious attachment
- Scan all the PC hard disks at least twice a week.
- Do not open any email and attachments from unknown source.
- Do not open any Word/Excel and PowerPoint documents from unknown source.
- Do not open any executables from unknown source.
- Updates latest hot fixes for your Windows OS, Office, and others application. For Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx, for Office update: http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx
- Read carefully the Virus Prevention Tips from any Anti-Virus vendor, for McAfee: http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=tips
What are the security concerns in using Outlook Express?
Hong Kong Computer Emergency Response Team Coordination Centre
Return to University In-house Email Service FAQ page