CityU Office 365 (O365) – announcement and information for Student
- We are glad to inform you that starting from 29 January 2013, a new email system is released to all students. This new email system is supported by the cloud messaging solution, Microsoft Office 365 Exchange Online (hereafter referred to as Office 365), offered by the Microsoft for the education sector. The main features of Office 365 are:
- A modern messaging solution featuring email, calendar, contacts.
- Web and mobile ready hence accessible from popular web browsers and mobile devices.
- 50GB disk storage space.
- If you enroll in a CityU award programme, when you graduate you can continue to use the same email address and account for your CityU Alumni contact to stay in touch with your classmates, professors and the University.
- You are reminded to stay alert to phishing emails from obscure senders. Regarding your @my.cityu.edu.hk and @student.cityu.edu.hk accounts, the University will NOT email you to ask you to reply and provide your account password and personal information. All related information and action required from you are posted and accessible from the CityU e-Portal and the CityU Email Homepage (please go to the CityU Homepage -> My CityU -> Email). When you email us, please send the email from your University student email account so as to avoid delay in our reply caused by the uncertainty of your student identity.
- The new Office 365 email system (domain name @my.cityu.edu.hk) will totally replace the old student email system (domain name @student.cityu.edu.hk) and becomes the University Email Service for students. You are encouraged to start using Office 365 today
as your department, professors and classmates may already be emailing you at your new Office 365 email address. Please note that emails sent directly to your Office 365 email address can only be seen in your Office 365 email account but not in your old email account.
- Please follow the steps below to perform the one-time account activation, then access your Office 365 email account:
- Log in the CityU e-Portal (eportal.cityu.edu.hk) with your CityU EID and password.
- Find the banner "New Email System for Student".
- Read the Announcement and FAQ.
- Before you click “Activate”, have a strong password for your new Office 365 account in your mind. It must be at least 8 characters in length and contains uppercase & lowercase alphabets and numeric characters. Avoid using birthday, name, phone number, etc. that can be guessed (hacked !!!) easily.
- Click "Activate” to start one-time
activation. Please be reminded that you can only activate your account ONCE, and for security reason you are required to log in again.
- Provide a strong password for your Office 365 account. You must remember your new password; otherwise you cannot log in your new email account.
- Wait for 10 minutes for your Office 365 account to be activated.
- Access your Office 365 account by clicking “Sign In”, i.e. sign In @my.cityu.edu.hk (Office 365)”.
- Sign In Office 365 with “EID-c”, which is your EID followed by “-c” (dash c) which stands for cloud service, e.g. tmchan8-c, if your EID is tmchan8. The password for your new account is the one that you have provided in step (v) above.
- Your Office 365 email address is:
- EIDfirstname.lastname@example.org, e.g. email@example.com; and
- Yourfirstname.lastname@example.org (if you have registered for an email alias for your EID)
- To allow time for you and other students to get familiar with the features of Office 365, the new system (@my.cityu.edu.hk) will be phased in to replace the old system (@student.cityu.edu.hk) in two stages as follows:
Stage One (now – 7 April 2013)
- In Stage One, both your new and old email accounts will operate in parallel, and all new emails sent to your old account will be automatically copied to your new account, meaning that you can read the new emails in both your new and old accounts and you should not miss any email.
- Please be reminded that emails sent directly to your Office 365 email address can only be seen in your Office 365 account and not in your old email account.
- During this period, unless you know that your classmates are already using Office 365, you may wish to email them using their @student.cityu.edu.hk email addresses until 7 April 2013 when every student has switched to use Office 365 on 8 April 2013.
- Once you are settled with Office 365 any time during these two months and do not want to attend to your old account any more, please modify the email-forwarding setting in your old email account:
- Go to the CityU Email Homepage (via the CityU Homepage -> My CityU -> Email).
- Under “Student”, click “Account Management”.
- Under “Management for @student Account”, click “Set up Email Forwarding”.
- Authenticate with your old (@student) email account and password.
- Select the radio button “Enable email forwarding without leaving local copy (i.e. Re-directing)”.
- Click “Apply” to active your selection.
- By performing the above steps, all subsequent new emails sent to your old email account will not be stored or seen there, but will be redirected and only be received and seen in your Office 365 account. You then no longer have to attend to your old email account to handle new emails which, if not being cleaned up regularly, can easily jam your old email account causing it to exceed disk storage quota and trigger the sending of “undeliverable notification”
to the senders which may confuse them.
Stage Two (8 April 2013 – 31 July 2013)
In Stage Two, your old email account will become read-only, and you will be able to log in your old email account just to retrieve old emails stored there but not to receive or send emails. All new emails sent to your old email account from 8 April 2013 onwards will only be received and seen in your new account. Starting on 8 April 2013, every student should be using Office 365 and you can email your classmates using their Office 365 email addresses.
Starting on 1 August 2013, only your account on Office 365 will be accessible and the old student email system will stop service and be removed.
Stage Three (1 August 2013 – 30 June 2014)
In Stage Three, the final stage, you cannot log in your @student.cityu.edu.hk email account any more, however, as long as your student status is valid emails sent to your old @student.cityu.edu.hk email address will continue to be delivered (redirected) to your @my.cityu.edu.hk email address until 30 June 2014. On 1 July 2014, the @student.cityu.edu.hk email address and email redirection to @my.cityu.edu.hk will stop altogether.
- Please note that staff (your professors, tutors, departments, etc.) is using the staff email system with address format @cityu.edu.hk, not Office 365.
- In transition to Office 365, you are reminded to perform the following soonest; otherwise, you may miss out on the important ones if you rush to do them just before the old email system stop service on 31 July 2013:
- If you have not yet applied for an email alias for your EID, apply for one of your choice to be used in your email address, e.g. if your EID is tmchan8 and you have applied for an email alias Justin.Chan, your valid Office 365 email addresses will be both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The former one with your name may be better and preferred for communication with your professors and classmates who know you by your name.
- Go through all folders and emails in your old email account and transfer the needed ones to your new account.
- Go through the mailbox settings, e.g. auto-forward, email filters, in your old email account and re-establish the needed ones in your new email account as needed.
- Update your e-subscriptions, e.g. e-newsletter, RSS, e-alert, etc. to send email to your @my.cityu.edu.hk address and not your @student.cityu.edu.hk address.
- To find out on how to transfer your emails from your old email account to your new email account, how to set up connection from mobile devices to Office 365 email, how to apply for email alias, etc., please refer to the FAQ for Office 365 posted in the CityU e-Portal and the CityU Email Homepage.
- If you wish to learn more about the features of Office 365, please attend the “Talks on Office 365”, details of which will be announced in the CityU Announcement Portal (CAP).
- Please note that Office 365 is a University service and is governed by the "IT Policy on Use of IT Services and Facilities" and all prevailing University policies and guidelines.
Return to FAQs on CityU Office 365