Terms of Service for Mass e-Communication Services in the CityU (Beta Version)
By using the CityU Announcement Portal (CAP); posting announcements on the University homepage, the Staff homepage, the Student homepage, the Alumni homepage, and the University e-Portal; or any other CityU-provided electronic announcements (collectively, "Service"), you accept and agree to observe and comply with the following terms and conditions, jointly with prevailing University IT policies and guidelines.
I. The Content
The content of the announcements posted on the Service is protected by the University Intellectual Property Policy and Personal Data (Privacy) Issues - Code of Practice and any applicable local or international law, including, but not limited to, regulations promulgated by the HKSAR, any rules of any national or other securities exchange, and any regulations having the force of law;
The responsibilities of a Message Originator e.g. sender who posts an announcement or posts a news item or posts a message (collectively, “announcement”).
- You understand that all data, text, information, links, images, multi-media data and other content (collectively, "Content"), posted in the Service, is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. This means that you, and not the University, are entirely responsible for all Content that you publish, post, upload, distribute, disseminate or otherwise transmit (collectively, "Post") via the Service. The University shall not be liable or otherwise be responsible for any claims of whatever nature relating to the Content.
The University’s and its Delegation’s Rights.
- You acknowledge that the University or its [Delegation define] does not pre-screen, control, edit or endorse Content published through the Service and has no obligation to monitor the Content posted via the Service. If the University or its Delegation is informed that the Content does not appear to conform to these Terms of Service, the University or its Delegation may investigate and may in good faith and in its sole discretion remove the Content. The University and its Delegation have no liability or responsibility towards any person to carry out such investigation or remove such Content [Note to CityU: Notwithstanding such disclaimer, it is advisable for CityU to investigate and to respond promptly to any complaint relating to the Content as CityU may not rely on this disclaimer to limit its liability fully].
- You agree to hold harmless and indemnify the University, and its Delegation, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, employees, licensors, suppliers or partners, from and against any third party claim arising from or in any way related to your posting or publication of the Content through the Service, violation of these Terms of Service or any other actions connected with your use of the Service, including any liability or expense arising from all claims, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys' fees, of every kind and nature.
II. Appropriate Conduct
You agree that you are solely responsible for your own conduct and communications while using the Service and for any consequences thereof. You agree to use the Service only to send or post materials that are legal, proper and in direct support of the vision, mission and role  of the University. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:
- make personal attacks, defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- initiate a discussion or conversation;
- use it as for political appeals, editorializing, or partisan (including issue-partisan) lobbying;
- post any inappropriate, defamatory, infringing, obscene, or unlawful Content;
- post any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary right of any party (the "Rights"), or likely or intended to cause confusion that you are or connected with the owner of the Rights or are otherwise using the Rights with authorisation;
- use the Service for commercial or profit-making activities;
- post messages that promote pyramid schemes, chain letters;
- download any file posted by another user that you know, or reasonably should know, that cannot be legally distributed in such manner;
- impersonate another person or entity, or falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is posted;
- restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Service;
- use the Service for any illegal or unauthorized purpose;
- remove, obscure or alter any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in or within the Service;
- interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Service;
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other device to retrieve or index any portion of the Service or collect information about users for any unauthorized purpose;
- submit Content that falsely expresses or implies that such Content is sponsored or endorsed by the University or a third party;
- promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities or promote physical harm or injury against the Service or individual, or
- transmit any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, or any items of a destructive nature.
III. General Practice Regarding Use, Storage, Termination/Change of Service
To help segregate various channels in the Service to their best use and to avoid information boom, you agree while using any channel you will refrain from using any other channel to communicate the same/similar information to the same group. For example, while using the CAP, the organizer or its users should not use the University e-Portal to communicate the same/similar information to the same group.
You agree that the University or its Delegation has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any Content maintained or posted by or through the Service. You acknowledge that the University or its Delegation has set no fixed upper limit on the number of transmissions you may send or receive through the Service or the amount of storage space used; however, the University or its Delegation retains the right, at his/her own sole discretion, to create limits at any time with or without notice.
You agree that the Service may be modified or terminated at any time the University or its Delegation sees appropriate without liability to any user of the Service. You also agree that these Terms of Service shall be subject to changes at any time with or without notice and you agree to be bound by such changes.
 University Intellectual Property Policy
 University Personal Data (Privacy) Issues - Code of Practice
 University Vision, Mission and Role