Overseas Summer Schools
Thank you for your interest. The application period is over.
Fee and Funding Support
- CityU sponsorship normally covers up to 60% of total expenses and is dependent on successful completion of the programme.
- The programme cost varies for different destinations. AFTER THE SPONSORSHIP from CityU, the estimated amount you are required to pay to join the programme is:
The exact amount will be announced later.
- University of Cambridge (4 weeks): around HK$28,000 to HK$32,000*
- University of Sussex (4 weeks): around HK$17,000 to HK$20,000
- University of California, Berkeley (6 weeks): around HK$31,000 to HK$33,000*
- Boston University (6 weeks): around HK$31,000 to HK$33,000*
- The University of British Columbia (4 weeks): around HK$18,000 to $20,000
- University of Vienna (4 weeks): around HK$20,000 to HK$22,000
- Kyung Hee University (4 weeks): around HK$9,000 to HK$10,000
* NEW this year: Additional subsidies maybe given on the basis of higher costs borne by students.
- After announcement of results, students will have around 2-3 days to accept the offer by paying HK$3,000 caution money and fill in the reply slip enclosed in the announcement email.
- Caution money: The caution money is refundable, provided that students fulfill all programme requirements. It is non-transferable and does not form any portion of the programme fee. Students who withdraw at any time with no strong justifiable reason will not get any refund. If any additional costs is incurred after full payment, e.g. change in exchange rate or rise of fuel costs/other charges for air ticket, the additional cost will be deducted from the caution money.
- The programme cost covers airfare (round trip between HK and hosting country), overseas airport transfers (if applicable), accommodation, and programme fee / tuition. Personal expenses are not included.
- Subject to availability, overseas airport transfers will be arranged for programmes with large student numbers. For programme(s) with small student group(s), or where airport transfers are not available, students shall fully pay and organise overseas airport transfers themselves without subsidy.
- No teacher will accompany the student group when they depart from Hong Kong nor when they return from the overseas airport.
- Meals are not provided nor included in the programme cost unless otherwise specified.
- Students are responsible for their own living expenses during the Overseas Summer Schools, including but not limited to meals, local transportation, laundry, insurance, education expenses for books, stationery, etc.
- Eligible students with financial needs may apply to the Global Engagement Office (GEO) for partial sponsorship from the Scheme for Subsidy on Exchange for Post-secondary Students (SSE) / Scheme for Subsidy on Exchange to "Belt and Road" Regions (SSEBR) via the College. Application procedures will be announced by GEO to successful applicants in due course.
- Students may also visit the Student Development Services website (here) for other financial assistance schemes and/or scholarships that may be available.
Last update: 4 February 2020