Useful links

Academic calendar

Medical insurance

It is mandatory for non-local students to have suitable and adequate insurance covering travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalization and emergency evacuation/repatriation throughout the entire period of their studies in Hong Kong. Students are required to either purchase the insurance on their own before they leave their home city or, if they are unable to do so or wish to have additional insurance coverage, enrol in the Group Personal Accident and Medical Benefits Insurance Plan for Non-local Students* contracted by the University.
The premium for the 2012–13 Group Personal Accident and Medical Benefits Insurance Plan for Non-local Students is HK$248. more info...
* Note that the insurance plan and premium are subject to annual change without prior notice.

Buddy Scheme

Global Engagement Office (GEO) administers a Peer Buddy Scheme to promote international friendship and to help the inbound exchange students like you to quickly familiarize yourself with CityU and the wider Hong Kong environment. In addition, local students can also benefit from enhancing their language and cross-cultural communication competencies through this exchange interaction. more info...

General information

Hong Kong SAR Government

Living in Hong Kong

Exchange rate in Hong Kong

Approximately HKD7.8 = USD1


Estimated living expenses per month

Actual living expenses vary from person to person, depending on individual needs.

On-campus accommodation

 HK$4,840-$7,260 (per semester)

Living costs

estimated costs


The Octopus card is used to pay public transportation fees (except for taxis and some public minibuses) and retailers who accept Octopus, such as convenience stores or restaurants. Having an Octopus card will be convenient to you to travel in the city. Some of the local transportations are listed below:

Mass Transit Railway Corporation (subway)

City Bus Hong Kong

Hong Kong International Airport

Hong Kong Tourism Board

Hong Kong Yellow Page

Emergency services

Adverse weather arrangements at campus

Hong Kong Hospital Authority

Emergency contacts

University-related links

Academic Regulations and Records Office

Campus directory

Neighborhood at campus