This course aims to
• Examine key concepts related to, and critical issues of, governance in Asia. It will doso with specific reference to knowledge of: i) three individual Asian countries and, of ii) some common frameworks for making comparisons across countries in the region;
• discover the impact of historical, cultural, political, economic and social factors in shaping the governance systems in Asia;
• analyse the governance systems in at least three country cases and compare and explain their similarities and differences;
• interpret the challenge of globalization on governance in the region with particular regard to discovering its impact onthe interface between international and domestic forces;
• distinguish, explore and explain similarities and differences in the definitional meanings and characteristics of ‘good governance’ in Asia as compared to definitions and expectations in of ‘good governance’ in western countries.