Public Policy and Politics
Aims of Major
The major aims to ……
1. provide students with a comprehensive education in the common core theories, concepts, and knowledge bases of public policy, public management, and political science.
2. enable students to specialize in public policy, public management, or political science for gaining an understanding of the essential theories, principles, dynamics, and analytic approaches of these bodies of knowledge.
3. equip students with the theoretical, conceptual, and analytical tools to understand comprehensively public policy, public management, and political developments in Hong Kong, China, and the contemporary global world.
4. produce graduates who can meet effectively the human resources needs of a wide range of public and private sector employers in administrative, management, and policy and political analysis positions, as well as in the media and non-governmental organizations.
Intended Learning Outcomes of Major (MILOs)
Upon successful completion of this major, students should be able to:
1. Understand and analyze issues in public affairs and public management at the local, international, and global levels.
2. Discover new challenges and possible solutions facing Hong Kong and/or the world within the broad spheres of political studies, public policy, and public management.
3. Apply communication and leadership skills as they relate to public policy, management, and politics.
4. Develop the intellectual and analytical competence required for effective performance and life- long learning in a range of public- and private-sector careers related to policy studies, public management, and public affairs.
5. Evaluate critically the ethical issues in public policy, management and politics for creating new ideas.
1. * For details, please refer to the Curriculum Information Record for Common Requirements.
2. # Students of 2015 entry or before transferred from another department of CLASS to the Major will be required to take 15 / 9 credit units of College Requirement for normative four-year degree / Advanced Standing I. Normative four-year degree and Advanced Standing I students transferred from departments outside CLASS to the Major in 2016/17 and thereafter will be required to take 6 credit units of College Requirement.
3. @ Students of second major and students changed to the Major will follow the Advanced Standing I curriculum (only applicable to normative 4-year degree students and students admitted with Advanced Standing I). ASI and ASII students will be exempted from the Foundation-year courses.