Master of Philosophy (MPhil) /
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
||MPhil Biomedical Sciences
||PhD Biomedical Sciences
The research degree programmes are student-centred and led by faculty who are accessible, engaged and committed to ensuring that our research students reach their full potential in research, teaching and professional development. Outstanding students with a bachelor degree or above in life sciences, chemistry, biomedical engineering and medicine (including veterinary medicine) who wish to conduct state-of-the-art basic, clinical and translational life sciences research are encouraged to apply. The students will participate in research degree programmes leading to research degrees in one of the following areas:
- Cancer Biology
- Regenerative Medicine
- Infectious Diseases and Immunity
The admission committee will take into account the following factors in making admission decisions: academic excellence; research ability and potential; communication and interpersonal skills; and leadership abilities.
Scholarship for Prospective Students
Postgraduate Studentship (PgS)
- HKD16,500 per month (rate as of 2018/2019)
Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
- HKD25,100 per month (not to be awarded with PgS concurrently.)
- Waiver of tuition fees and on-campus hostel accommodation expenses in the first year of study
Scholarship for Current Students
- Awards and scholarships such as Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies Scholarships (one-off cash award with award certificate), Research Tuition Scholarship (exemption of tuition fees), Conference Grant (HKD10,000 in maximum), and Research Activities Fund (monthly allowance of HKD5,000 x 6 in maximum) are open for applications/nominations every year.
- For HKPFS awardees, conference and research related travel allowance will be HKD12,600 per year.
The tuition fee for a full-time research student is HKD3,508 per month in 2018/2019.
From 2018/2019, all eligible local research students will be provided with tuition waiver by the Government.
Minimum Entrance Requirements
MPhil applicants should have a bachelor’s degree with first/second class honours (or its equivalent) in a related field. PhD applicants should have a first-class bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) in a related field.
All applicants from an institution where the language of teaching is not English should satisfy the University’s minimum English proficiency requirements:
TOEFL score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (pBT) or 59 (revised paper-delivered test; sum of Reading, Listening and Writing sections), or IELTS overall score of 6.5, or its equivalent.
China’s College English Test Band 6 (CET6) score of 490 or above will be considered case by case.
How to Submit an Application
- Online application
- Full tertiary education history (including bachelor’s degree) should be provided.
- Should propose ONE supervisor after his/her consent under section "Other Information" > "If you have contact any CityU Academic staff member, please provide his/her full name".
- Notes to HKPFS applicants
- Please firstly submit an initial application at RGC’s HKPFS Electronic System (by 12:00 noon on 1 December 2018) then quote the HKPFS reference number in the CityU’s application online.
- Your research plan and vision statement, which should be perspicacious instead of lengthy (not exceeding two pages), will be undergone through plagiarism checking. In the event of false information or committed plagiarism with suspicious contents, both applications for HKPFS and admission at CityU will be disqualified.
- Application Fee
- HKD200 by credit card online for each programme application.
- Your application can be processed ONLY AFTER the payment has been settled.
- Two Referee’s Reports
- Eligibility of referees
- PhD holders
- Within academic circles
- Have a supervisory role on you e.g. supervisor, academic advisor and teacher
- Being able to comment on your academic performance
- NOT valid: proposed supervisor/co-supervisor in our Department, same-level colleagues, general technical staff or research staff, schoolmates, friends etc.
- The University will base on your online application to invite your referees by email to complete the referee’s reports online, EXCEPT for HKPFS applicants who are required to download and send the HKPFS-specific Referee’s Report Form to the referees for completion.
Scanned copies of the following to the online application system:
- Identity Card or Passport showing your full name in English
- Graduation Certificates
- To cover your full tertiary education history (including bachelor's degree).
- Official letter certifying your final-year study status (在讀證明) if you have not completed the current degree programme yet.
- Certificates/Letters not in English should be accompanied by an official certified translation in English.
- For degrees obtained in China, graduation certificate (畢業證書) AND degree diploma (學位證書) in Chinese AND English versions are ALL required.
- Official Final Transcripts
- To cover your full tertiary education history (including bachelor's degree).
- Transcripts not in English should be accompanied by an official certified translation in English.
- For degrees obtained in China, transcript in Chinese AND English versions are ALL required.
- Latest transcript if the degree programme is not yet completed.
- Grading System
- Required for each degree.
- Should show the transcript legends / keys / grading scales AND the maximum achievable grade/mark.
- Normally available at the back of transcript or in student handbook.
- Evidence of English Proficiency
- Official test report of TOEFL or IELTS, or
- Official letters confirming that you obtained all degrees from institutions where the medium of instruction was English.
- Exempted if you obtained all degrees (non-Chinese-related major) in Hong Kong or in a country where English is the sole official language.
- China’s CET6 is NOT accepted for HKPFS applicants, and will only be considered on a case-by-case basis for regular MPhil/PhD studies.
- Evidence of Publication Record (if applicable)
- Front page of each published paper.
- Official letter/email of acceptance for each paper accepted for publishing.
- The name of publication, abstract, list of authors in order, doi and publishing status (published / in press / accepted / under review etc.) should be shown on each proof of publication record.
- Full Name of ONE Proposed Supervisor after his/her consent in a pdf file (if not yet stated in the online application)
- Applicants should indicate a proposed supervisor in the application only after getting consent from the faculty member.
- Applicants who fail to propose a supervisor may not be considered.
- Applicants should take responsibility (including CityU students) to provide all required application materials to facilitate the evaluation of application. Only full applications will be considered.
- MPhil applicants should contact their purposed supervisors directly for details on funding support in prior to application.
- For change of information in the online application, applicants should inform Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies (SGS) immediately via email@example.com with full name and application number; for provision of additional information, applicants should upload it as a supporting document to the online application system.
- Candidates interested in the Interdisciplinary PhD Programme in Veterinary Sciences (code: VM/P) (administered by Jockey Club College of Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences) should consult their proposed supervisors to submit a separate application through the online application system.
- Applications are accepted throughout the year and will be considered mainly in one admission round.
- Applicants seeking admission in Semester A (fall term) 2019/2020 should submit all application materials by 1 December 2018.
List of research supervisors
List of current research students
Online application system (administered by SGS)
20 December 2018