Prof. Jufang He (賀菊方教授)
BEng, MEng (Harbin Inst Tech), DrMedSci (Tokushima, Japan), DrEng (Tokyo, Japan)
Prof. He obtained a B.Eng. and M.Eng. degree in Engineering at the Harbin Institute of Technology, a Doctoral Degree in Medical Science at the University of Tokushima, and a second Doctoral Degree in Engineering at the University of Tokyo, Japan. Before joining the Department in September 2013, Prof. He had worked at RIKEN (Japan), University of Tokushima, and Advanced Research Laboratory of HITACHI Ltd altogether for 5 years, and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) for 15 years.
Prof. He combines electrophysiological, anatomical, and engineering approaches to answer fundamental questions of hearing, and learning and memory. The works from Prof. He’s laboratory have been mainly published in The Journal of Neuroscience, Journal of Neurophysiology, and The Journal of Physiology. Currently, Prof. He’s lab has focused their energy on investigating the mechanism of memory encoding in the neocortex. How the medial temporal lobe participates in the encoding and retrieval of long-term neocortical memory? How the prefrontal cortex involves in attention and in maintaining the short-term memory in the neocortex? Besides Neurobiology, Prof. He has developed an electronic “bat ear” for people with visual impairments and a “motolink” for bypassing the spinal cord injury. Prof. He is directing a collaborative team between CAS and CityU for developing a memory drug.
Prof. He’s research activities have been supported by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council, Ministry of Science and Technology, Natural Science Foundation of China, Innovation and Technology Fund, and Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
Prof. He has been awarded the Croucher Senior Research Fellowship (2009/2010). His joint research team was selected as one of the CAS-Hong Kong joint laboratories and jointly supported by Croucher Foundation and CAS.
- Li X, Yu K, Zhang Z, Sun W, Yang Z, Feng J, Chen X, Liu C, Wang H, Guo Y, He J* (2013) Cholecystokinin from the Entorhinal Cortex Enables Neural Plasticity in the Auditory Cortex. Cell Research.
- Chen X, Guo Y, Liao Z, Li X, Wang H, Li X, He J* (2013) Encoding and Retrieval of Artificial Visuo-Auditory Memory Traces in Auditory Cortex Needs Entorhinal Cortex. The Journal of Neuroscience 33:9963-9974.
- Wang LH, Wang LL, Huang WH, Su HX, Xue YT, Su ZH, Liao BJ, Wang HT, Bao XC, Qin DJ, He JF, Wu WT, So KF, Pan GJ, Pei DQ (2013) Generation of integration-free neural progenitor cells from cells in human urine. Nature Methods 10:84-89.
Our contribution to the paper was the evaluation of the differentiated neurons using patch-clamp recording (Fig. 4). Highlighted by Nature News “Brain cells made from urine” http://www.nature.com/news/brain-cells-made-from-urine-1.11985
- Chan CCH, Wong AWK, Ting KH, Whitefield-Gabrieli S, He JF, Lee TMC (2012) Cross Auditory-Spatial Learning in Early Blind Individuals, Human Brain Mapping 33:2714-2727.
- Yu XJ, Xu XX, He SG*, He JF* (2009) Change detection by thalamic reticular neurons. Nature Neuroscience 12: 1165-1170 (Highlighted by Nature China: Cognitive neuroscience: Neurons for oddballs)
- Yu XJ, He SG, He JF* (2009) Dorsal Thalamus modulated by Thalamic Reticular Nucleus. Nature Protocols:
- Gao L, Meng XK, Ye CQ, Liu CH, Dan Y, Poo MM, He JF*, Zhang XH* (2009) Entrainment of slow oscillations of auditory thalamic neurons by repetitive sound stimuli. The Journal of Neuroscience 29:6013-6021.
- Sun X, Guo YP, Shum DKY, Chan YS, He JF* (2009) Time course of cortically induced fos expression in auditory thalamus and midbrain after bilateral cochlear ablation. Neuroscience 160:186-197.
- Yu XJ, Xu XX, Chen X, He SG, He JF* (2009) Slow recovery from excitation of thalamic reticular neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology 101:980-987.
- Liu CH, Yu YQ, Xiong Y, Chan YS, He JF* (2008) Sleep spindles are not generated in the thalamic reticular nucleus. Nature Proceedings, hdl:10101/npre.2008.2313.1
- Zhang Z, Liu CH, Yu YQ, Fujimoto K, Chan YS, He JF* (2008) Corticofugal projection inhibits the auditory thalamus through the thalamic reticular nucleus. Journal of Neurophysiology 99:2938-2945.
- Zhang Z, Yu YQ, Liu CH, Chan YS, He JF* (2008) Frequency tuning and firing pattern properties of auditory thalamic neurons: an in-vivo intracellular recording from the guinea pig. Neuroscience 151:293-302
- Xu M, Liu CH, Xiong Y, He JF* (2007) Corticofugal modulation of the auditory thalamic reticular nucleus of the guinea pigs. The Journal of Physiology (London) 585:15-28.
- Guo YP, Sun X, Li C, Wang NQ, Chan YS, He JF* (2007) c-fos expression in the auditory thalamus is triggered by corticofugal projections. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:11802-11807.
- Sun X, Xia Q, Chan YS, He JF* (2007) Corticofugal Modulation on Acoustically Induced c-fos Expression in the Rat Auditory Pathway. The Journal of Comparative Neurology 501:509-525.
- Yu YQ, Xiong Y, Chan YS, He JF* (2004) In vivo intracellular responses of the medial geniculate neurones to acoustic stimuli in anaesthetized guinea pigs. The Journal of Physiology (London) 560:191-205.
- Xiong Y, Yu YQ, Chan YS, He JF* (2004) Effects of cortical stimulation on auditory-responsive thalamic neurones in anaesthetized guinea pigs. The Journal of Physiology (London) 560:207-217.
- Yu YQ, Xiong Y, Chan YS, He JF* (2004) Corticofugal gating of auditory information in the thalamus: an in-vivo intracellular recording study. The Journal of Neuroscience 24:3060-3069.
- He J (2003) Slow oscillation in non-lemniscal auditory thalamus. The Journal of Neuroscience 23 (23):8281-8290.
- He J (2003) Corticofugal modulation on both ON and OFF responses in the nonlemniscal auditory thalamus of the guinea pigs. Journal of Neurophysiology 89, 367-381.
- He J (2002) OFF responses in the auditory thalamus of guinea pig. Journal of Neurophysiology 88:2377-2386.
- He J*, Yu YQ, Xiong Y, Hashikawa T, Chan YS (2002) Modulatory effect of cortical activation on the leminiscal auditory thalamus of the guinea pig. Journal of Neurophysiology 88:1040-105.
- He J (2001) ON and OFF pathways segregated at the auditory thalamus of the guinea pig. The Journal of Neuroscience 21, 8672-8679.
- HE J*, Hashikawa T (1998) Connections of the dorsal zone of cat auditory cortex. The Journal of Comparative Neurology 400, 334-348.
- HE J (1997) Modulatory effects of regional cortical activation on the onset responses of the cat medial geniculate neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology vol. 77, pp.896-908, 1997.
- HE J*, Hashikawa T, Ojima H, Kinouchi Y (1997) Temporal integration and duration tuning in the dorsal zone of cat auditory cortex. The Journal of Neuroscience 17, 1615-1625.