Dr Khoo Bee Luan is a biomedical scientist focused on the detection, prognosis and characterization of disease heterogeneity using multidisciplinary techniques. She joined the City University of Hong Kong in 2019. She is recognized for her efforts by the MIT Technology Review as one of the Innovators under 35 (Asia 2018) for her work on microfluidic devices with direct clinical relevance. As a senior postdoctoral research fellow in the Singapore MIT alliance of Research and Technology, she was awarded the Young Investigator national grant award by the National Medical Research Council. Dr Khoo's work includes the design and utilisation of microfluidic devices for personalised cancer management and evaluation. She has also developed various microfluidic biochips for the direct isolation of primary cancer cells, diseased blood cells or malaria-infected cells for rapid disease detection. Dr Khoo has authored more than 25 articles in peer-reviewed journals and has presented in various invited international conferences.
Service in CityU
- Jan 2019 - Now, Biomedical Safety and Risk Assessment.
- Jan 2019 - Now, Engineering Your Health.
1st author or Corresponding author
- B.L. Khoo, Gianluca Grenci, Joey Sze Yun Lim, Yan Ping Lim, July Fong, Wei Hseun Yeap, Su Bin Lim, Song Lin Chua, Siew Cheng Wong, Yoon-Sim Yap, Soo Chin Lee, Chwee Teck Lim, Jongyoon Han (2019) “Low-dose anti-inflammatory combinatorial therapy reduced cancer stem cell formation in patient-derived preclinical models for tumour relapse prevention” British journal of cancer 1.
- M Shang, RH Soon, CT Lim*, B.L. Khoo*, J Han* “Microfluidic modelling of the tumor microenvironment for anti-cancer drug development” Lab on a Chip 19 (3), 369-386
- Constantine Tzouanas, Joey Sze Yun Lim, Ya Wen, Jean Paul Thiery, B.L. Khoo (2017) "Microdevices for Non-Invasive Detection of Bladder Cancer" Chemosensors 5 (4), 30
- B.L. Khoo, Gianluca Grenci, Ying Bena Lim, Soo Chin Lee, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim (2017). “Routine expansion of patient-derived circulating tumor cells from liquid biopsy using the CTC Cluster microfluidic assay” Nature Protocols 13 (1), 34
- B.L. Khoo, Parthiv Kant Chaudhuri, Chwee Teck Lim, M.E. Warkiani (2016). "Advancing Techniques and Insights in Circulating Tumor Cell (CTC) Research” Ex Vivo Engineering of the Tumor Microenvironment, 71-94
- B.L. Khoo, WH Yeap, SC Wong, SC Lee, CT Lim, J Han (2016). "44TiPInter-dependency relationships between patient-derived macrophages and circulating tumor cells in co-culture with relevance to novel therapeutic design" Annals of Oncology 27 (suppl_8)
- B.L. Khoo, Gianluca Grenci, Tengyang Jing, Ying Bena Lim, Soo Chin Lee, Jean Paul Thiery, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim (2016). "Liquid Biopsy and Therapeutic Response: Circulating Tumor Cell Cultures for Evaluation of Anti-Cancer Treatment." Science Advances 2 (7), e1600274.
- M.E. Warkiani, B.L. Khoo, Lidan Wu, Andy Kah Ping Tay, Ali Asgar S Bhagat, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim (2016). "Ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells from blood using spiral microfluidics." Nature Protocols 11(1): 134-148. (IF: 13.47) (IF: 13.254)
- B.L. Khoo, Parthiv Kant Chaudhuri, Naveen Ramalingam, Daniel Shao Weng Tan, Chwee Teck Lim, M.E. Warkiani (2016). “Single-cell profiling approaches to probing tumor heterogeneity.” International Journal of Cancer
- B.L. Khoo, Prashant Kumar, Chwee Teck Lim, Jean Paul Thiery (2016). “Genesis of circulating tumor cells through epithelial–mesenchymal transition as a mechanism for distant dissemination” Circulating Tumor Cells, Springer 139-182
- B.L. Khoo, Soo Chin Lee, Prashant Kumar, Tuan Zea Tan, M.E. Warkiani, Samuel GW Ow, Sayantani Nandi, Chwee Teck Lim, Jean Paul Thiery (2015). "Short-term expansion of breast circulating cancer cells predicts response to anti-cancer therapy." Oncotarget 6(17): 15578-15593.
- B.L. Khoo, M.E. Warkiani, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Ali Asgar S Bhagat, Darryl Irwin, Dawn Pingxi Lau, Alvin ST Lim, Kiat Hon Lim, Sai Sakktee Krisna, Wan-Teck Lim, Yoon Sim Yap, Soo Chin Lee, Ross A Soo, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim (2014). "Clinical validation of an ultra-high-throughput spiral microfluidics for the detection and enrichment of viable circulating tumor cells." PLoS One 9(7): e99409.
- M.E. Warkiani, B.L. Khoo, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Ali Asgar S Bhagat, Wan-Teck Lim, Yoon Sim Yap, Soo Chin Lee, Ross A Soo, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim (2014) “An ultra-high-throughput spiral microfluidic biochip for the enrichment of circulating tumor cells.” Analyst. 139(13): 3245-3255, 2014.
- B.L. Khoo, ME Warkiani, Guofeng Guan, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Alvin ST Lim, Wan-Teck Lim, Yoon Sim Yap, Soo Chin Lee, Ross A Soo, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim (2014) “Ultra-High Throughput Enrichment of Viable Circulating Tumor Cells". The 15th International Conference on Biomedical Engineering 1-4, 2014
- M.E. Warkiani, Guofeng Guan, B.L. Khoo, Wong Cheng Lee, Ali Asgar S Bhagat, Parthiv Kant Chaudhuri, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Wan Teck Lim, Soo Chin Lee, Peter CY Chen, Chwee Teck Lim, Jongyoon Han (2014). "Slanted spiral microfluidics for the ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells." Lab on a Chip 14(1): 128-137.
- Zhou Ying, Yang, Dahou, Zhou Yinning; B.L. Khoo; Han Jongyoon, Ai, Ye (2017) “Characterizing Deformability and Electrical Impedance of Cancer Cells in a Microfluidic Device” Analytical Chemistry 90 (1), 912-919
- DJ Collins, B.L. Khoo, Z Ma, A Winkler, R Weser, H Schmidt, J Han, Y Ai (2017) “Selective particle and cell capture in a continuous flow using micro-vortex acoustic streaming” Lab on a Chip 17 (10), 1843-1843
- N Kumar, AS Zaw, SB Kantharajanna, BL Khoo, CT Lim, JP Thiery (2017) “Metastatic efficiency of tumour cells can be impaired by intraoperative cell salvage process: truth or conjecture?” Transfusion Medicine
- N Kumar, AS Zaw, B.L. Khoo, S Nandi, Z Lai, G Singh, CT Lim, JP Thiery (2016) “Intraoperative cell salvage in metastatic spine tumour surgery reduces potential for reinfusion of viable cancer cells” European Spine Journal 25 (12), 4008-4015
- M. E. Warkiani, A. A. Bhagat, B.L. Khoo, J. Han, C. T. Lim, H. Q. Gong and A. G. Fane (2013). "Isoporous micro/nanoengineered membranes." ACS Nano 7(3): 1882-1904.
- Hou, H. W., M. E. Warkiani*, B.L. Khoo *, Z. R. Li, R. A. Soo, D. S. Tan, W. T. Lim, J. Han, A. A. Bhagat and C. T. Lim (2013). "Isolation and retrieval of circulating tumor cells using centrifugal forces." Sci Rep 3: 1259. (*These authors contributed equally to the manuscript.)
- A.L.A. Wong, S.H. Tan, I. Soh, C.S. Tan, Y.W. Lim, A. Pang, J. Ho, S.G.W. Ow, R. Sundar, M-Y Pang, C-W Chan, S.A. Buhari, M. Hartman, P. Lau, A. Tang, N-S Wong, Y.S. Yap, B.L. Khoo, J. P. Thiery, S.C. Lee. Phase II study of neoadjuvant weekly paclitaxel and carboplatin with lapatinib in HER2+ breast cancer. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings 32 (15_suppl), 619
- M. E. Warkiani*, A.K.P. Tay*, B.L. Khoo, X. Xu, J. Han and C. T. Lim. (2015) Malaria detection using inertial microfluidics. Lab on a Chip
- J. Nam*, J.K.S. Tan*, B.L. Khoo, B. Namgung, H.L. Leo, C.T. Lim and S. Kim. Hybrid capillary-inserted microfluidic device for sheathless particle focusing and separation in viscoelastic flow. 2015 Biomicrofluidics 9 (6), 064117
- G Guan, ME Warkiani, B.L. Khoo, CT Lim, PC Chen, J Han (2013) “High throughput circulating tumor cell isolation using trapezoidal inertial microfluidics” Proceedings of 17th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences
- ME Warkiani, B.L. Khoo, DSW Tan, AAS Bhagat, WT Lim, J Han, CT Lim (2013) “Circulating tumor cell (CTC) enrichment: ultra-high throughput processing of clinically relevant blood volumes using a multiplexed spiral biochip” 17th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences
Last modified on 18 February, 2019