New Student Enrolment

        Online Pre-enrolment
        Enrolment On-campus
        Identity Documents for Enrolment
        Schedule for New Student Enrolment
        Adverse Weather Arrangements
        Actions Required After Enrolment
        Special Notes for Students with Special Educational Needs

Online Pre-enrolment

Every new student is given an Electronic ID (EID). You will use this EID to log in CityU Portal, the gateway that allows you to access to all kinds of information related to your study and your life at CityU. As CityU is an electronic campus, the EID allows you to check emails, obtain course materials, and receive announcements from the University.

Please follow the instructions at the Online Pre-enrolment System to perform pre-enrolment which includes activating your EID, accepting the “Declaration for New Bachelor’s Degree Students upon Enrolment”, updating your personal contact information, indicating your choice in the use of personal data in direct marketing, uploading a photo for student identity card, uploading COVID-19 vaccination record/medical exemption certificate/recovery record within past six months for campus entry, and completing a health questionnaire. If you are a non-local student, you are also required to complete the “Declaration on Insurance Agreement”.

If you are aged under 18 on the day you come to the University for new student enrolment, you are also required to have the Parental Consent Form duly completed by your parent/guardian and submit it during enrolment on-campus.

        How to do Pre-enrolment?
        How to Upload Photo for Student Identity Card?
         What are the Photo Requirements?

*Note: Students admitted through JUPAS are required to complete the online pre-enrolment when accepting the JUPAS offer. After completing the online pre-enrolment, please wait for 48 hours for us to update all the relevant databases before logging in AIMS.

Enrolment On-campus

All new students are required to come to the University campus for enrolment. If you are a Direct applicant, the assigned date, time and venue are shown in the enrolment notification email. For JUPAS applicants, the enrolment arrangements can be found from the online acceptance process.

If you are unable to come at the specified date and time, you may authorize a representative to complete the enrolment procedures on your behalf. Apart from the required documents listed in the enrolment notification email (for Direct applicant)/online acceptance system (for JUPAS applicant), your representative is also required to bring an Authorization Letter signed by you. This option is only applicable to students holding a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card.

The enrolment on-campus normally takes about 25 minutes. Your uploaded photo will be used to produce your student identity card which bears your name and student number. The photo appearing on the student identity card is for identification purpose at the University. You must take good care of your student identity card during your studies at the University. Use of the student identity card is bounded by the Rules on Student Identity Card.

Identity Documents for Enrolment

At the time of enrolment, you are required to produce your identity document to the University for verification. Identity documents include Hong Kong Identity Card (for those who have the right of abode/right to land in Hong Kong) or passport/Exit-entry Permit (EEP) with appropriate visa/valid entry permit* or Document of Identity (for those who do not have the right of abode/right to land in Hong Kong). The definitions of local and non-local students can be found here.

*Students holding a dependant visa/entry permit will be asked to indicate when such document was first issued to them by the Director of Immigration.

Expired visa and visitor visa will not be accepted. In case of doubt, please check with the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region concerning your eligibility for studying in Hong Kong. You may click here to learn more about the Rules Governing Enrolment of Local and Non-local Students.

Schedule for New Student Enrolment

Semester / Term


Semester A


Semester B / Summer Term

One week before the Semester / Term

Adverse Weather Arrangements

The University will be closed and new student enrolment will be postponed when typhoon signal No. 8 or above, or black rainstorm warning is issued. Please click here for the University's basic guidelines for cancellation of activities under adverse weather conditions. If you have any queries concerning the rescheduling arrangements for enrolment, please call the Academic Regulations and Records Office at 3442-2300.

Actions Required After Enrolment

  1. Check the release date of class schedule and course registration schedule from the Important Dates. If you do not have a class schedule on the scheduled date, please call the Academic Regulations and Records Office at 3442-2300 during office hours. To access the class schedule, use your EID to log in CityU Portal and click the “Student” tab. On the left-hand side of the screen, click on “Student Schedule” under “Useful Services”.
  2. Familiarize yourself with the curriculum structure and award requirements by visiting the Undergraduate Catalogue.
  3. The University has rules and regulations governing academic matters, tuition fees, enrolment and related issues that you must observe as these are very important pieces of information related to your study. Please read the concerned Regulations and Guidelines.

Special Notes for Students with Special Educational Needs (SEN)

Students with Special Educational Needs are advised to inform the University so that, where possible, the University can provide appropriate assistance to you. Complete and submit the Special Educational Needs Declaration and the supporting documents as soon as possible and not later than the end of Week 2 of the first Semester/Term of your admission.