Declaring a Home Major (for year one normative 4-year degree students admitted in 2022/23 with an undeclared major)
- Bachelor’s degree students admitted in 2022/23 with an undeclared major will be invited to indicate their choice of majors in late May 2023. The allocation of majors will be conducted in two phases in June 2023, and the allocated major for students will take effect from Semester A 2023/24. (Note: This provision does not apply to students admitted to the School of Creative Media and School of Data Science via the School-based route, and Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences via the Department-based route with an undeclared major as they will have a free choice of major after completing their first year of study.)
- Students who are admitted in Semester B 2022/23, or on leave of absence in either Semester A or Semester B 2022/23 will still be included in the majors allocation exercise, but they will not be eligible to join Phase One majors allocation. They will be allocated a major in Phase Two allocation. Students who are on leave in both Semesters A and B 2022/23 will be excluded from the entire 2023 majors allocation exercise. They will be invited to participate in a future majors allocation exercise, and shall be subject to the selection criteria for majors allocation stipulated for the future exercise that they will participate in.
A Two-Phase Process for Majors Allocation and Selection Criteria
- Students in the School of Energy and Environment (SEE) are admitted to a School with an undeclared major in their first year of studies. Some students in the College of Business (CB), College of Engineering (CENG), College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS), & Jockey Club College of Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences (JCC) are admitted to a Department under the College with an undeclared major in their first year of studies. There is a two-phase process (i.e., Phase One and Phase Two) for majors allocation, and the detailed arrangements are as follows:
|Phase One |
|Top 20% (for SEE) / 40% (for individual academic units of CB, CENG, CLASS & JCC) of students will be allocated their first choice major upon satisfying the selection criteria stipulated by the University |
|Phase Two |
|Remaining 80% (for SEE) / 60% (for individual academic units of CB, CENG, CLASS & JCC) of students will be allocated a major subject to availability of places and the selection criteria stipulated by the School/College |
Phase One Majors Allocation
Based on the following selection criteria stipulated by the University, the top 20%/40% of students in the relevant academic units will be allocated their first choice major, irrespective of the intake plan number for individual majors (please note that once a major is allocated, no further changes to the choice of majors can be made):
|(1) ||Cumulative GPA at the end of Semester B 2022/23; and |
|(2) ||No failed grades in any courses in Semesters A and B 2022/23; and |
|(3) || |
Completion of courses of at least 30 credit units in Semesters A and B 2022/23, which should include the required courses specified by individual academic units as follows:
- College of Business
- College of Engineering & Individual Departments
- College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- Jockey Club College of Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences
- School of Energy and Environment
Regarding item (3) above, please note the following:
|(a) ||For students who have been granted transfer credits, they are still required to complete courses of at least 30 credit units in Semesters A and B 2022/23 in order to be eligible for participation in the Phase One majors allocation exercise. If transfer credits or course exemption is granted for those required courses that are specified by the College/School/Department, the students concerned do not need to take those required courses as their fellow students do. Instead they will have to take other courses in order to meet the 30 credit unit requirement if they want to participate in the Phase One majors allocation exercise. |
|(b) ||In the context of meeting the criteria for the Phase One majors allocation exercise, credits earned from “LC0200A English for Academic Purposes 1”, “LC0200B English for Academic Purposes 2”, and “CHIN1001 University Chinese I” taken in Semesters A and B 2022/23 will be counted towards the 30 credit unit requirement. However, grades obtained from the above courses will not be included in the GPA calculation. |
Phase Two Majors Allocation
- The Phase Two majors allocation exercise is arranged in the order of the student’s choice of priority and the academic unit’s prioritization, subject to availability of places for individual majors. The selection criteria adopted by individual academic units for prioritization of the remaining students are as follows:
Indicating Choice of Majors
An online system in AIMS is provided for students to indicate or revise their choice of majors. The system can be accessed via the following: AIMS → Study Plan → Declaring a Home Major → Indicate Choice of Majors.
Please note the following time periods for indicating choices:
|Date ||Event ||Applicable to: |
|18 - 31 May 2023 ||To indicate choice of majors after the release of Semester B 2022/23 course grades ||All students |
Please note the following:
- Students can only indicate their choice of majors during the aforementioned period of time, and no change can be made after 31 May 2023. Students who do not indicate their choice of majors by the stipulated deadline will be excluded from the majors allocation exercise. After the completion of the majors allocation exercise in mid-June 2023, they will be allocated a major with available quota.
- Students should indicate their choice with order of priority for all the majors offered by their academic unit.
- The online system will be closed at midnight (23:59) of the last day of the specified time period. Students should avoid making last-minute changes to their choices near the closing time as there is a possibility that such late changes may not be captured in time in the system due to unexpected network congestion.
- When a student has successfully submitted his/her choice of majors through the online system, a notification email will be sent to his/her student email account each time confirming the submission and the priority list of the choice of majors submitted. If the student does not receive the notification email, it may be the case that the submission of choices has not been completed. For such cases, please indicate the changes in the system again, and remember to press the “Confirm” button to complete the submission process. After each submission of change of choices, students are strongly advised to access the system again to verify the accuracy of the sequence of choices.
- Academic Units may require their students to upload documents in support of their choice of majors through the online system. If applicable, please read the instructions posted on the online system carefully and observe the deadline for uploading documents.
- Statistical data for the past majors allocation exercises (AIMS → Study Plan → Declaring a Home Major → Summary of Majors Allocation Result Including Previous Exercises). Please note that the statistics should only be considered as reference data, which will not form a basis for future majors allocation exercises. The statistical data for the 2022/23 majors allocation will be released through the online system in mid-June 2023 upon completion of the 2022/23 majors allocation exercise.
Timeline for Majors Allocation
|Date ||Event |
|18 - 31 May 2023 ||Students to indicate their choice of majors via the online system after the release of Semester B 2022/23 course grades |
|1 June 2023 ||Phase One majors allocation exercise |
|From 2 June 2023 ||Students being allocated a major to view the allocation result via the online system |
|2 - 9 June 2023 || |
- Colleges/School to stipulate a quota for each major in order to facilitate the Phase Two majors allocation exercise
- School/Departments to prioritize the remaining students who have not been allocated a major in the Phase One majors allocation exercise
|12 June 2023 ||Phase Two majors allocation exercise |
|From 13 June 2023 ||Remaining students to view the allocated major via the online system |
|Immediately after the majors allocation exercise, a Change of Home Major exercise will be provided in mid-June 2023. Students who wish to change to a major offered by another College/School/Department may apply for it. For details, please visit: Change of Home Major. || |