MA Erlangen-Nuremberg, PhD magna cum laude Erlangen-Nuremberg
Politics of East and Southeast Asia
Politics and society of Hong Kong and Singapore
Social research methods
State and society in Southeast Asia
Recent Research Projects
Environmental governance in Vietnam
China, Vietnam and the "Singapore model"
Political change in Singapore and Hong Kong
- Environmental Governance in Vietnam: Institutional Reforms and Failures. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan (2017).
- Politics and Change in Singapore and Hong Kong: Containing Contention. London and New York: Routledge (2010).
- Managed Crisis: Legitimacy and the National Threat in Singapore. Saarbrücken: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller (2009).
Refereed Journal Articles:
- "Political Development in Hong Kong: The Failure of Democratization," Asian International Studies Review, 17:2 (2016), pp. 199-219.
- "The lack of sovereignty, the Umbrella Movement, and democratisation in Hong Kong," Asia Pacific Law Review, 24:2 (2016), pp. 108-122.
- "China and the 'Singapore model", Journal of Democracy, 27:1 (2016), pp. 39-48.
- “The Umbrella Movement and Hong Kong's Protracted Democratization Process,” Asian Affairs, 46:1 (2015), pp. 32-50.
- “The Umbrella Movement in Hong Kong: From Economic Concerns to the Rejection of Materialism,” Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia, 17 (2015), http://kyotoreview.org/issue-17/the-umbrella-movement-in-hong-kong-from-economic-concerns-to-the-rejection-of-materialism
- “Political Change and Civil Society Coalitions in Singapore,” Government and Opposition, 5:1 (2015), pp. 119-139.
- “Democratization and the Discourse on Stability in Hong Kong and Singapore,” Taiwan Journal of Democracy, 10:1 (2014), pp. 123-145.
- "Singapore: The Significance of By-Elections for Political Change in an Electoral Authoritarian Regime," Asian Survey, 54:4 (2014): pp. 725–748.
- "China's obsession with Singapore: learning authoritarian modernity," with Mark. R. Thomson, Pacific Review, 27:3 (2014): 433-455.
- “Political Change and Civil Society Coalitions in Singapore,” Government and Opposition (2013), available on CJO2013.
- "The ‘Beijing consensus’ and the ‘Singapore model’: Unmasking the myth of an alternative authoritarian state-capitalist model," Journal of Chinese Business and Economic Studies, 10(4), (2012) pp. 337-359.
- "Policy Advocacy in a Competitive Authoritarian Regime: The Growth of Civil Society and Agenda Setting in Singapore," in: Administration & Society, 44:6 (2012): pp. 13s-25s.
- "Singapore: Authoritarian but Newly Competitive," Journal of Democracy, 22:4 (2011): 153-164
- “Opposition and Regime Legitimacy: A Comparative Study of Singapore and Hong Kong,” Journal of Asian and African Studies, 45:1 (2010): 67-86.
- “Singapore: The Politics of Inventing National Identity,” Journal of Contemporary Southeast Asian Affairs 4 (2009): 23-46.
- "The Democracy Movement in Hong Kong and Singapore: Comparative Perspectives," in: Ip Iam-chong and Chan King-fai (eds.). 罷課不罷學－雨傘運動前夕的理論和思想大檢閱 (Boycott Classes, Continue Learning - A Review of the Theories and Thoughts Prior to the Umbrella Movement). Hong Kong: Step Forward, pp. 183-197 (2015).
- “Singapore: from hegemonic to competitive authoritarianism,” in: William Case (ed.). Routledge Handbook of Southeast Asian Democratization. Ogdon: Routledge, pp. 384-398 (2015).
- "The "Beijing Consensus" and the "Singapore Model": Unmasking the Myth of an Alternative Authoritarian State-Capitalist Model," in: Jun Li and Liming Wang (eds.). China’s Economic Dynamics: A Beijing Consensus in the Making? London and New York: Routledge, pp. 73-96 (2013).
- "Hong Kong: Problems of Identity and Independence," in: Meredith Weiss and Edward Aspinall (eds.). Student Activism in Asia: Between Protest and Powerlessness. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press (2012).
- 2015 * “The Lack of Sovereignty, the Umbrella Movement, and Democratization in Hong Kong,” to be presented at the conference “The Occupy Central Movement and Its Aftermaths: An Interdisciplinary Study,” School of Law, City University of Hong Kong, September 18-19, 2015.
- “Democratization and Sovereignty: The Case of Hong Kong,” presented at the 9th APISA conference in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, September 11-12, 2015.
- “The Emergence of Competitive Authoritarianism and the Stability of One-Party Dominant Rule in Singapore,” presented at The Power of Elections 2nd workshop in Heidelberg, Germany, September 15-16, 2014.
- “Environmental Journalists in Vietnam and China - Pressure Politics and Its Limits,” presented at the 8th APISA conference in Chiang Mai, Thailand, September 19-20, 2014
- “Singapore: Authoritarian Rule and the Consequences of Increasingly Competitive Politics,” presented at the Inaugural AIS/SEARC and Murdoch/ARC Workshop: “The Politics of Southeast Asia under Multipolarity,” in Hong Kong, November 20-21, 2014
- “Evolving Governance Structures under Authoritarian Rule: The Case of Environmental Politics in Vietnam,” presented at the 7th APISA conference “People on the Move! Citizen Engagement and Collective Action Within and Across Asian Societies,” 25-26 October 2013 in Ankara, Turkey.
- "Environmental Movements and Political Change in Singapore, Vietnam, and China," presented at the conference "Politics and Policy in Asia" of the Asian Political and International Studies Association, Hong Kong, December 1, 2012.
- “Hegemonic Party States and the Struggle for Legitimacy: Elections in China, Vietnam, and Singapore,” presented at the conference of the German Political Science Association section on Comparative Politics, Marburg, Germany, March 20, 2012.
- “The First Inklings of Civil Society Coalitions in Singapore: The Human Rights Movement,” presented at the conference “The Dynamics of Civil Society Coalitions in Asia,” Hong Kong, February 10, 2012
- “The 2011 Elections in Singapore: The Emergence of a Competitive Authoritarian Regime,“ presented as part of the research seminars at the Southeast Asian Research Centre of the City University of Hong Kong, November 9, 2011.
- “China's Political Development: Perspectives for Research,“ presented as part of the “College Student Research Seminar,“ Hong Kong, October 7, 2011.
- “The “Beijing Consensus” and the “Singapore Model”: Unmasking the Myth of an Alternative Authoritarian State-Capitalist Model,“ presented at the conference “China’s Economic Dynamics and Its Impacts on the World Economy: A Beijing Consensus in the Making?“ Hong Kong, September 9, 2011.
- “Singapore's Languishing Civil Society: Why Coalitions Cannot Form,“ vorgestellt auf dem Workshop “The Dynamics of Civil Society Coalitions in Asia,“ Hongkong, 20. Mai 2011.
- "Can Vietnamese Cities Learn from Singapore? On the Challenges of Policy Transfer," presented at the Workshop on Socio-economically Sustainable Urban Development, Hanoi, Vietnam, Dec. 1, 2010.
- “The Future of the Authoritarian Developmental State: China and the 'Singapore model,'” presented at the German Political Science Association section on Comparative Politics, Duisburg, Germany, September 21, 2010.