Bachelor in Sociology (Honours) - Nanyang Technological University, Singapore,
Master of Arts in Development and Governance - Universität of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
Politics of Accountability
Civil society and citizens’ participation in authoritarian regimes
Female (im)migration and empowerment
Supervisor: Prof Mark R. Thompson
Recent Research Projects
The politics of accountability: Essential services, civil society and political culture in Vietnam’s new social order.
- Nguyen, N. H. Forthcoming. Is financial literacy training desirable? The case of foreign domestic workers in Hong Kong and Singapore. In: Chan Y.W et al. eds. The Age of Asian Migration: Continuity, Diversity, and Susceptibility. Volume 2. Newcastle Upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Nguyen. N.H. Can bad governance become good and better? A study of youth integrity and anti-corruption education in Viet Nam. Development: What now? 4th International Postgraduate Conference, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong 9-11 October 2014
- Nguyen, N.H. Politics of Accountability: The case of Public Consultation on the Amendments of 1992 Constitution in Viet Nam. An Agenda for Asia: Human security, conflict management, security sector reform and local democratization, APISA Annual Congress 2014, Chiang Mai University, Thai Land 19-20 September 2014.
- Nguyen, N.H. The added value of financial education upon return: The case of Foreign Domestic Workers in Singapore. Migrations within and beyond Nations and States, Asia-Pacific Worlds in Motion Conference, National University of Singapore, Singapore 20-21 February 2014
- Nguyen, H. 2012. The new media strategy of environmental non-governmental organizations in internet engineered social movements – The case of Vietnam. MA thesis, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- McIntosh, C., Nguyen, H., Perez Paddilla P.M., Wassef S. 2012. Understanding Foreign Policy Behaviour of Middle Powers: The Impact and Added value of Political Culture. Germany: Käte Hamburger Kolleg.
- Nguyen, H. 2010. Financial education and povery reduction for female migrant workers in Singapore – a case of aidha. Bachelor final year project, Nanyang Technological University.
PhD Research Thesis Topic
- The politics of accountability: Essential services, civil society and political culture in Vietnam’s new social order
Brief Abstract: Examined importance of accountability in creating effective governments in non-democratic regimes such as Vietnam and studied potential mode of state supports and accountability intervention mechanisms to improve provision of essential services.