Bachelor of Law (Sun Yat-sen University)
Master of Law (Sun Yat-sen University)
M.Phil, PhD (Anthropology, Yale University)
Urban Development and Social Transformation
Mobility and Class Politics
Infrastructure and Spatial Politics
Science, Technology and Society in Asia
Project Planning & Management for Development
Comparative Development in Asia
Special Topics in Asian Studies
Problem-Based Studies of Selected Asian Societies and Region I
Environment and Society in Asia
Recent Research Projects
The emerging philanthropic landscape in China (book manuscript in progress; with Dr. Gonçalo Santos)
Urban governance & infrastructural construction in Republican China
Medicalization of birth (with Dr. Gonçalo Santos)
- 2019. Driving toward Modernity: Cars and Lives of the Middle Class in Contemporary China. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press (http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140101961680).
Journal articles and book chapters
- (with Danny Marks) "Circuits of Power: Environmental Injustice from Bangkok’s Shopping Malls to Laos’ Hydropower Dams." Asian Pacific Viewpoint. (Early view available at https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/apv.12242)
- 2017. "Materializing a Form of Urban Governance: When Street Building Intersected with City Building in Republican Canton (Guangzhou), China." History and Technology 33 (2):153-174.
- 2017. "(Extended) Family Car, Filial Consumer-Citizens: Becoming Properly Middle Class in Post-Socialist South China." Modern China 43 (1): 36-65.
- 2016. "Taxis, Traffic, and Thoroughfares: The Politics of Transportation Infrastructure in China's Rapid Urbanization in the Reform Era." City & Society 28 (3): 411-436.
- 2015. "The Rise and Fall of Qilou: Metamorphosis of Forms and Meanings in the Built Environment of Guangzhou." Traditional Dwellings and Settlements Review 26(2): 25-40.
- 2014. (with Peidong Sun) "When Are You Going to Get Married?" Parental Matchmaking and Middle-class Women in Contemporary Urban China." Pp. 118-44 in Wives, Husbands, and Lovers: Marriage and Sexuality in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Urban China, edited by Deborah Davis and Sara Friedman. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.
- 2016. "Review: Consumption in China: How China's New Consumer Ideology Is Shaping the Nation by LiAnne Yu Cambridge: PB - Polity, 2014. 176 pp." American Anthropologist 118 (3):702-703.
- 2014. "Review: The Middle Class in Neoliberal China: Governing Risk, Life-Building, and Themed Spaces (by Hai Ren; Routledge 2013)." Pacific Affairs 87(3).
- 2014. "Review: Chaiqian (Demolition) Directed by AU - J.P. Sniadecki, 2008, 62 minutes, color. Mandarin and Sichuanese with English subtitles. Sensory Ethnography Lab Series." Visual Anthropology Review 30(1): 74-75.
Selected Conference Papers & Talks
- 2019. (with Gonçalo Santos). "Corruption, Ethics, and Philanthropy: The Case of Lions Clubs in South China." International Convention of Asia Scholars 11, July 16-19, Leiden, the Netherlands.
- 2018. (with Gonçalo Santos) "Digital Humanitarians: The Politics of Micro-charity in Contemporary China," at the 18th World Congress of International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, July 16-20, Florianópolis, Brazil.
- 2018. (with Gonçalo Santos) "From Agricultural Commodities to Domestic Waste Materials: Changing Infrastructures of Human Waste Management in Republican Canton," at AAS-in-Asia, July 6-8, New Delhi, India.
- 2017. “From Buildings to Streets: Qilou and the Politics of Heritage Preservation,” Division of Landscape Architecture, The University of Hong Kong.
- 2017. (with Gonçalo Santos) “Ethical Labor and the Workings of Non-governmental Humanitarian Care in Contemporary China,” at the workshop “Humanitarianism in Action: Asia-Pacific Ethnographic Perspectives,” supported by the American Council of Learned Society, 12-14 January, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- 2015. “Materializing a New Form of Governance: When Streets Building Intersected with State Building in the Early Twentieth-century Canton, China,” at the Workshop “Infrastructures: Provocations towards an Inter-disciplinary Dialogue,” Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore.
- 2015. (Gonçalo Santos) with “‘I give, I’m happy, I mature’: The Making of Humanitarian Middle-class Subjectivities in Contemporary China,” in the Annual Conference of the Association for Asian Studies, Chicago.
Non-peer review articles
- (forthcoming) “Is Mainland China the Source of all of Hong Kong's problems?” HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory.