BA (Law; Sun Yat-sen University)
MA (Law; Sun Yat-sen University)
M.Phil, PhD (Anthropology, Yale University)
Middle Class and Class Politics
Politics of Infrastructures
History and Anthropology
Project Planning & Management for Development
Comparative Development in Asia
Special Topics in Asian Studies
Problem-Based Studies of Selected Asian Societies and Region I
Environment and Society in Asia
Recent Research Projects
“Old Neighbourhoods, New Spaces: Urban Reconstruction and Governance in China’s Urbanization” (PI; project no. 17636016), 2017-2019;
The Emergence of Urban Governance in Republican Canton, China;
The emerging philanthropic landscape in China (book manuscript in progress; with Dr. Gonçalo Santos);
The Politics and Ethics of Childbirth Medicalization in Reform era China (with Dr. Gonçalo Santos);
“Mapping the Networks and Impacts of Civic Engagement: Community Actors, Social Capital, and Urban Governance in Hong Kong” (Co-I; Hong Kong Baptist University), 2018-2020.
- (forthcoming 2019) Driving toward Modernity: Cars and Lives of the Middle Class in Contemporary China. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
Journal articles and book chapters
- 2017. "Materializing a Form of Urban Governance: When Street Building Intersected with City Building in Republican Canton (Guangzhou), China." History and Technology 33 (2):153-174.
- 2017. "(Extended) Family Car, Filial Consumer-Citizens: Becoming Properly Middle Class in Post-Socialist South China." Modern China 43 (1): 36-65.
- 2016. "Taxis, Traffic, and Thoroughfares: The Politics of Transportation Infrastructure in China's Rapid Urbanization in the Reform Era." City & Society 28 (3): 411-436.
- 2015. "The Rise and Fall of Qilou: Metamorphosis of Forms and Meanings in the Built Environment of Guangzhou." Traditional Dwellings and Settlements Review 26(2): 25-40.
- 2014. "When Are You Going to Get Married?" Parental Matchmaking and Middle-class Women in Contemporary Urban China." (with Peidong Sun). Pp. 118-44 in Wives, Husbands, and Lovers: Marriage and Sexuality in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Urban China, edited by Deborah Davis and Sara Friedman. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.
- 2016. "Review: Consumption in China: How China's New Consumer Ideology Is Shaping the Nation by LiAnne Yu Cambridge: PB - Polity, 2014. 176 pp." American Anthropologist 118 (3):702-703.
- 2014. "Review: The Middle Class in Neoliberal China: Governing Risk, Life-Building, and Themed Spaces (by Hai Ren; Routledge 2013)." Pacific Affairs 87(3).
- 2014. "Review: Chaiqian (Demolition) Directed by AU - J.P. Sniadecki, 2008, 62 minutes, color. Mandarin and Sichuanese with English subtitles. Sensory Ethnography Lab Series." Visual Anthropology Review 30(1): 74-75.
Selected Conference Papers & Talks
- 2018. "Digital Humanitarians: The Politics of Micro-charity in Contemporary China," (with Gonçalo Santos), at the 18th World Congress of International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, July 16-20, Florianópolis, Brazil.
- 2018. "From Agricultural Commodities to Domestic Waste Materials: Changing Infrastructures of Human Waste Management in Republican Canton," (with Gonçalo Santos), at AAS-in-Asia, July 6-8, New Delhi, India.
- 2017. “From Buildings to Streets: Qilou and the Politics of Heritage Preservation,” Division of Landscape Architecture, The University of Hong Kong.
- 2017. “Ethical Labor and the Workings of Non-governmental Humanitarian Care in Contemporary China,” (with Gonçalo Santos), at the workshop “Humanitarianism in Action: Asia-Pacific Ethnographic Perspectives,” supported by the American Council of Learned Society, 12-14 January, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- 2015. “‘I give, I’m happy, I mature’: The Making of Humanitarian Middle-class Subjectivities in Contemporary China,” (with Gonçalo Santos), in the Annual Conference of the Association for Asian Studies, Chicago.