Brad Williams was educated in Australia and Japan and taught in Australia and Singapore before taking up his current position. Brad’s research concentrates on East Asian international relations and comparative politics, with a particular focus on Japan. Much of his work to date has examined the various roles of subnational governments as international actors and their impact on foreign policy. Brad’s first book explored subnational government diplomacy in the context of Japan-Russia relations. Subsequent studies of subnational governments have expanded the analytical focus to include military bases in Okinawa and Japan’s relations with Taiwan and China. Brad has also published on a diverse range of issues in Japanese politics and foreign policy such as arms procurement, civil society, humanitarian assistance, human security, North Korean abductions, nuclear proliferation, and secrecy laws. He is currently working on a project about Japan’s evolving foreign intelligence system. Brad has also published a number English translations of Japanese books and appears regularly in the local and international media.
Contemporary International Politics of the Asia-Pacific
International Relations of Northeast Asia
Spies, Intelligence and National Security
State & Development in Northeast Asia
Recent Research Projects
Japan’s Territorial Disputes
- Purnendra Jain and Brad Williams eds., (2011). Japan in Decline: Fact or Fiction? Folkestone: Global Oriental/Brill, 2011, 240 pp, ISBN: 9781906876364 (reviewed in Japanese Studies).
- Brad Williams (2007). Resolving the Russo-Japanese Territorial Dispute: Hokkaido-Sakhalin Relations. Routledge, 223pp, ISBN: 9780415413213 (reviewed in Asian Studies Review, Pacific Affairs, Japanese Yearbook of International Law, Asian Journal of Social Science).
- Brad Williams and Andrew Newman eds., (2006). Japan, Australia and Asia-Pacific Security. Routledge, 198 pp, ISBN: 9780415381390 (reviewed in Pacific Affairs).
- Brad Williams (2005). Social Stratification: Inequality in an Affluent Society. Melbourne: Trans Pacific Press, 202 pp. (translation of Japanese book entitled 社会階層ー 豊かさの中の不平等)
- Brad Williams (2004). Japanese Companies: Theories and Realities. Melbourne: Trans Pacific Press, 190 pp. (translation of Japanese book entitled 日本企業ー 理論と現実).
Refereed Journal Articles
- Nicholas Thomas and Brad Williams (2016). Taiwan’s Subnational Government Relations with Japan: Post-1979 Developments. Journal of Contemporary Asia, pp. 1-26.
- Brad Williams (2015). Militarizing Japan’s Southwest Islands: Subnational Involvement and Insecurities in the Maritime Frontier Zone. Asian Security 11(2), pp. 136-153.
- Brad Williams (2013). The YIMBY Phenomenon in Henoko, Okinawa: Compensation Politics and Grassroots Democracy in a Base Community. Asian Survey 53(5), pp. 958-978.
- Brad Williams (2013). Japan’s Evolving National Security Secrecy System: Catalysts and Obstacles. Pacific Affairs 86(3), pp. 493-513.
- Brad Williams (2013). Explaining the Absence of a Japanese Central Intelligence Agency: Alliance Politics, Sectionalism and Antimilitarism. Journal of East Asian Studies 13(1), pp. 137-164.
- Brad Williams (2010). Dissent on Japan’s Northern Periphery: Nemuro, the Northern Territories and the Limits of Change in a “Bureaucrat’s Movement.” Japanese Journal of Political Science 11(2), pp. 221-244.
Reprinted in Japanese (2011) as: 北方領土問題と根室住民の立場ー世論調査と返還運動団体の分析から. 現代の理論. 27(11), pp. 210-222 (trans. 富田武).
- Brad Williams and Erik Mobrand (2010). Explaining Divergent Responses to the North Korean Abductions Issue in Japan and South Korea. Journal of Asian Studies 69(2), pp. 507-536.
- Brad Williams (2006). Why Give? Japan’s Response to the Asian Tsunami Crisis. Japan Forum 18(3), pp. 399-416.
- Brad Williams (2006). Federal-Regional Relations in Russia and the Northern Territories Dispute: The Rise and Demise of the “Sakhalin Factor.” The Pacific Review 19(3), pp. 263-285.
- Zone Knox, Pete Lentini and Brad Williams (2006). Parties of Power and Russian Politics: A Victory of the State over Civil Society? Problems of Post-Communism 53(1), pp. 3-14.
- Andrew Newman and Brad Williams (2005). The Proliferation Security Initiative: The Asia-Pacific Context. The Nonproliferation Review 12(2), pp. 303-322.
- Brad Williams (2005). Sakhalin’s Governors and the South Kuril Islands: Factors behind Involvement in the Russo-Japanese Territorial Dispute. ACTA Slavica Iaponica 22, pp. 299-310.
- Brad Williams (2003). The Russo-Japanese Visa-less Exchange Program: Opportunities and Limits. East Asia: An International Quarterly 20(3), pp. 108-133.
- Brad Williams (2003). The Criminalisation of Russo-Japanese Border Trade: Causes and Consequences. Europe-Asia Studies 55(5), pp. 711-728.
- Brad Williams (1999). Japan’s Post-Cold War Russia Diplomacy. New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies 1(1), pp. 77-99.
- Brad Williams (1998). Russia and the Northern Territories. Russian and Euro-Asian Bulletin 7(8), pp. 1-12.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Brad Williams (2015). Japan’s Defence: Challenges and Future Directions. Chapter 15, Security and Conflict in East Asia (ed.) Andrew T H Tan. London: Routledge, pp. 153-163.
- Brad Williams (2013). Japan’s Demographic Crisis: Security Implications and Obstacles to Resolving an Issue Symptomatic of National Decline. Chapter 25, East and Southeast Asia: International Relations and Security Perspectives (ed.) Andrew T H Tan. London: Routledge, pp. 267-278.
- Brad Williams and Purnendra Jain (2011). Japan: Descending Asian Giant? Introduction, Japan in Decline: Fact or Fiction? (eds.) Purnendra Jain and Brad Williams. Folkestone: Global Oriental/Brill, pp. xii-xxiv.
- Brad Williams and Shoko Yoneyama (2011). Japan’s Education System: Problems and Prospects in the Post-Industrial Age. Chapter 9, Japan in Decline: Fact or Fiction? (eds.) Purnendra Jain and Brad Williams. Folkestone: Global Oriental/Brill, pp. 147-165.
- Brad Williams (2010). Japan’s Arms Procurement after the Cold War. Chapter 6, The Global Arms Trade (ed.) Andrew T H Tan. London: Routledge, pp. 78-90.
- Brad Williams (2010). The Challenges of Intelligence Oversight in a Normalising Japan. Chapter 7, Democratic Oversight of Intelligence Services (ed.) Daniel Baldino. Melbourne: Federation Press, pp. 161-186.
- Andrew Newman and Brad Williams (2006). Australia-Japan Security Cooperation: The Proliferation Security Initiative. Chapter 6, Japan, Australia and Asia-Pacific Security (eds.) Brad Williams and Andrew Newman. London: Routledge, pp. 107-126.
- Brad Williams and Andrew Newman (2006). The US and UN in Australia-Japan Defence and Security Cooperation. Introduction, Japan, Australia and Asia-Pacific Security (eds.) Brad Williams and Andrew Newman. London: Routledge, pp. 1-8.
- Brad Williams (2004). Japan, North Korea and the War on Terror. Chapter 16, Regional Security in the Asia-Pacific: 9/11 and After (eds.) Marika Vicziany, David Wright-Neville and Pete Lentini. London: Edward Elgar, pp. 230-247.
- Brad Williams (1998). Australian Rice Exports to Japan. Marketing and International Business (eds.) Su Mon Wong et al. Sydney: Prentice Hall.